First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Why don’t more companies just use CarPlay and dump their own systems that are redundant? I’m not sure what exactly the licensing cost is but surely it’s cheaper than building your own. Even if it isn’t then make it an option and pass on the cost to the customers who want it?
Rivian R1T R1S Rants and Raves after 2 months of Rivian R1T ownership [DISCLAIMER: Unauthorized feedback from non-owner] 1641669860742
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm guessing those who have taken delivery are out having fun with their new toys! And, posting here can lead to so many long threads and questions from those of us (note I included myself!) who are eagerly awaiting any new crumbs of information; drooling for information; etc. :)
I was just gonna make a similar comment when I caught yours. If my Rivian was delivered, I'd be gone. First stop, Petco, for an automated catfood-dispensing device and a self-cleaning litter box. Then, who knows. Can you say "Road trip!" ?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/649b5d8c-df93-4579-a232-b69e3d0b9d31

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
FYI, CS confirmed that the truck has the hardware for a garage door opener (not sure if it is Homelink specifically or something else) but has not been enabled in the software yet. This is coming in a future OTA.
CS has mentioned that it's coming in a software update for a while now, even went as far as telling me it *isn't* HomeLink, but they haven't clarified if that hardware is RF-capable. Did they clarify that with you?

StoneDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
CS has mentioned that it's coming in a software update for a while now, even went as far as telling me it *isn't* HomeLink, but they haven't clarified if that hardware is RF-capable. Did they clarify that with you?
They didn’t mention to me if is was RF, but I have to imagine it is. There wouldn’t need to have any specific hardware if the signal was sent over LTE/data/Wi-Fi for a MyQ type application. They specifically called out that the hardware is there. I’m sure we will find out soon enough, sounds like OTAs are happening pretty quickly.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I personally don’t think we will see anything ADDED via OTA until all the current crap is working (2-3 years).

For those who think otherwise, OTA updates will be here S00N. ?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I personally don’t think we will see anything ADDED via OTA until all the current crap is working (2-3 years).

For those who think otherwise, OTA updates will be here S00N. ?
honestly, even if OTA's just fixed bugs i'll be fine initially. VW has sat on their hands and hasn't fixed shit on the ID.4. Do I like the car still? Yes. Does it still have software issues that cause significant problems for a lot of people? Yes. Which, reminded me the other day, from what I've seen/heard, Rivian's software is more fully baked than what VW pushed out to the MEB platform cars.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
100%

@Diddy123 suggestion: you may want to put a big ol' disclaimer on the original post in this thread -- doesnt look like we can trust anything they said.
I wonder if it was a spouse of the owner.

OP
OP

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'm trying to figure out what was proprietary about anything he/she wrote. Sounds to me like Rivian came down hard in whomever's truck it was due to the negative aspects of the post.

Not cool.

I'll put a disclaimer on the first post, and @Administrator can take the whole thing down if he wants. But I don't think that's necessary.

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
I was already a bit pessimistic about Rivian - seemed very vaporware. And this post is a bit disappointing, because even my pessimist expectations might not have been pessimistic enough.

It's going to be years before we see Rivian improve. Tesla is like 10 years old now. And in the past 6 months, the Model Y build quality has been reportedly really good. So......just do the math.

Rivian will get better, no doubt. But this won't be overnight, and it might take years....and even a few vehicle purchases (hardcore Tesla fans are in their 4th-5th vehicle now. It says something when they are finally raving about the build quality).

I had thought Rivian might have less of a learning curve. But they might have no less of a learning curve than Tesla did ten years ago.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm trying to figure out what was proprietary about anything he/she wrote. Sounds to me like Rivian came down hard in whomever's truck it was due to the negative aspects of the post.

Not cool.
Yeah it's weird -- the thing that throws me off a bit is CarterGee's last post about the reddit OP making it seem like they were the owner? Maybe they are the kid of the owner or something? Maybe they were a covert operative from Tesla Special Forces? lol idk.

100% I hope Rivian isnt too hard on them, they were just informing fans who were hungry for the info.

I'll put a disclaimer on the first post, and @Administrator can take the whole thing down if he wants. But I don't think that's necessary.
Thank you, also agreed, disclaimer seems good enough to me (up to administrator of course)
Sponsored