Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not only that but it's also accessible (and Accessible, as in ADA) to your front seat passenger.
Passenger…touching..radio controls?!
Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
There's a noticeable lag in some physical controls:
  • unlocking/locking can randomly take up to 10 seconds to unlock (with the fob)
    • rolling up and down the windows has a strange lag to it (always)
    • pedestrian warning system can sometimes take a few moments to turn on once moving
Rivian R1T R1S Rants and Raves after 2 months of Rivian R1T ownership [DISCLAIMER: Unauthorized feedback from non-owner] SDDYKzt

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
with AA/CP you still have maps and nav which is the biggest use for them.
Maps and nav aren’t even what I use CarPlay for most of the time. Even still, Rivian’s maps don’t provide everything you can get from apps like Waze or ABRP. My preferred music, podcasts, and meetings apps, as well as better phone and message integration are used way more frequently and don’t have equals on Rivian’s system. Dismissing CarPlay as nav and maps is naive.

This is why you should read the relevant threads. You’ll learn in detail why people feel strongly about these features rather than straw-manning their argument.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Maps and nav aren’t even what I use CarPlay for most of the time. Even still, Rivian’s maps don’t provide everything you can get from apps like Waze or ABRP. My preferred music, podcasts, and meetings apps, as well as better phone and message integration are used way more frequently and don’t have equals on Rivian’s system. Dismissing CarPlay as nav and maps is naive.

This is why you should read the relevant threads. You’ll learn in detail why people feel strongly about these features rather than straw-manning their argument.
I'm a little familiar with some of the uses of these apps, I'm also very familiar with the data of what they are mostly used for as well as with the purpose behind the apps existence. I have consulted numerous times for some of the manufacturers of automotive Operating Systems. I do appreciate your recommendation though.

Sponsored

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S

Why don’t more companies just use CarPlay and dump their own systems that are redundant? I’m not sure what exactly the licensing cost is but surely it’s cheaper than building your own. Even if it isn’t then make it an option and pass on the cost to the customers who want it?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Why don’t more companies just use CarPlay and dump their own systems that are redundant? I’m not sure what exactly the licensing cost is but surely it’s cheaper than building your own. Even if it isn’t then make it an option and pass on the cost to the customers who want it?
Careful, @Gearhead500’s gonna get you

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

And this is why I'm glad the company is using their employees as beta test monkeys.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
If Rivian just wanted to license other peoples’ innovation, they wouldn’t be in business: that’s why.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Short answer, It all comes down to data, psychology, and recurring fees. The only fee CP/AA have are associated with the implementation and debugging the manufacturers need to do to make sure either doesn't cause issues with the OS the vehicle and the UI are running on.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Data. and I suspect trying to control the experience. Why has Apple always been so focused on locking people into their ecosystem? Remember when they didn't even let you use a different browser on the iPhone?

And until v recently integration of the EV systems with navigation for route planning. VW's nav is a total shit show, but it at least plans you're route out taking into consideration your live battery status.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Data. and I suspect trying to control the experience. Why has Apple always been so focused on locking people into their ecosystem? Remember when they didn't even let you use a different browser on the iPhone?

And until v recently integration of the EV systems with navigation for route planning. VW's nav is a total shit show, but it at least plans you're route out taking into consideration your live battery status.
Yup, even though manufacturers can limit some of the data that goes to CP/AA , they rather keep it all in house. And the user experience is the psychology part. I was consulting a few years back when AA was coming online, there were 4 psychologist on the panel of 10 people, they really don't want people associating anything of the vehicle with Google or apple. They always want the vehicle brand to be what think of. They want to lock in brand loyalty and the $500,000 the average person spends in a lifetime on vehicles.

Last edited:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Lots of reasons as stated by other, but knowing that Apple is even considering entering the auto market is reason enough to avoid their tech. If computing is at the center of a high tech vehicle, building that tech stack on top of even a potential competitors product is "less than invocative" and possibly suicidal for the company.
Sponsored