Sponsored

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Manual suggests seat/wheel/mirror/media is part of your Rivian account, which I take to mean it should actually transfer between vehicles if you use your same account.
Where are you reading the manual? Is it online somewhere?

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Cool. I will teach Alexa the command “High-Five Opnwide” that will connect with your truck, run the open garage command, and send you a message “Hey dude!” In bright yellow font. Voila! Open garage and a little checkin with a fellow Riviot.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Auto-high beams already exist. The reddit poster probably didn't find out how to set it. By pushing the left stalk forward for a few seconds turns it on
They clarified that the feature technically "exists" and they know about it, but it does not work well.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I tried automatic high beams once on my 2021 4Runner with LED lights. After being honked and yelled at and flashed multiple times, I gave up using those. They did give me a good view of the driver's annoyed and pissed off face, though, before they finally turned to low beams. Maybe they work better in other vehicles.

Last edited:

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Cool. I will teach Alexa the command “High-Five Opnwide” that will connect with your truck, run the open garage command, and send you a message “Hey dude!” In bright yellow font. Voila! Open garage and a little checkin with a fellow Riviot.
I did this exact thing using this:
Rivian R1T R1S Rants and Raves after 2 months of Rivian R1T ownership [DISCLAIMER: Unauthorized feedback from non-owner] 1641574030300

My garage door opener RF stop working and fixed it with the above device and now as I approach, I tell Alexa to open the garage and it works amazingly

Last edited:

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
For garage opener, just get the homelink module. This guy did it on his Mercedes:

https://www.glaowners.com/threads/aftermarket-homelink-install.22674/

In general, I am not very thrilled about those issues, but I do not get my R1S until Q4 2022, so hopefully it gets better. I would hate to be another guinea pig for another EV. Rivian does seem to be more invested in quality, so I have more faith in them than Tesla or Lucid.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I tried automatic high beams once on my 2021 4Runner with LED lights. After being honked and yelled at and flashed multiple times, a gave up using those. They did give me a good view of the driver's annoyed and pissed off face, though, before they finally turned to low beams. Maybe they work better in other vehicles.
The auto beams in the Polestar work great. They occasionally dip before I can even see the oncoming car's beams. Once the US law change goes into effect the pixel lights are going to be awesome. The car keeps high beams on but not in the spots where it detects other traffic. Currently illegal in the US, not so in much of the EU though.

Sponsored

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hmmm....I think I smell a rat. I believe this diabolical plan was hatched long, long ago. In fact, I think you tipped your hand of your ultimate intent from the outset, back when you crafted the perfect forum name for a garage pirate. Then you thought up the perfect accomplice to innocently serve as your shill.

I can see it all now. As you quietly roll up to the first home on your list (sorry, @SeaGeo) in the middle of the night, you fire up Alexa, and whisper "Alexa, do you know where we are?" "Yes, opnwide". And just like that, the garagedoor opens when her own response to your reasonable, innocent question triggers her to act feloneously on her own command. Unfortunately, a passing police Cruiser is suspicious and pulls you over.

Forunately, and very wisely, you've created plausible deniability in your plan. You rightfully tell the cop that Alexa, and Alexa alone ordered that garage door to open. With crocodile tears, you sobbingly tell them you're a well-loved family man and a very respected dentist in your town. You just needed to clear your head with a late night drive and she actually lives in the truck. "And a very nice truck it is, sir" he says. "I've never seen a Rivian before. Who makes them?", he asks. Then, realizing some people resent having their conversations hijacked, he says "Um...nevermind. Let's get back to you opening up someone else's garage."

"Officer, it was my passenger that did it. Honestly, I dont really even know this cold-voiced woman. The manufacturer told me 'If you want this really amazing truck, she's coming with you. Take her or leave it!' Officer! I'm telling you, I didn't have any choice in the matter. I wanted CarPlay or Android Auto, but they forced her on me!"

When the incredulous officer pokes his head in the cabin and asks Alexa what she has to say for her self, she calmly asks the officer if he'd prefer for her to play back the recording of the interaction that she was kind/dumb enough to record. The stunned officer says "Yes, please", attempting to be as polite to her as she's being to him. The officer is shocked to hear that cold, calculating bi+c# command someone else's garagedoor to "Open Wide". "Guilty!" he thinks to himself. Her confession is clear as day...in her own words. When the officer asks you "Are you certain the UI stack didn't malfunction from, say, something caused by Sirius/XM?", and you say "No chance in hell! Don't even get me started, officer!"

At this point, the officer is so confused by receiving such a calm, complete confession, he can't even remember if he's read Alexa her Miranda Rights. Embarrassed, he asks "Alexa, do you know your Miranda Rights?" Suffice it to say, he's not used to suspects being able to calming recite their rights perfectly, but after she finishes, he announces his intent to arrest her, but confesses that this is a rather weird case.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly! I can also say I am glad @SeaGeo was first on your list there, Mr. Dentist, or whatever you really are.

I truly enjoyed your post! That was a fun read. I'm guessing I should learn to shut off the keyboard earlier, but this is way more fun than sleeping.

I hope you and yours are doing well and that your area is beginning the long path to recovering from the horrendous firestorm.

All my best!
Or perhaps @DuckTruck this, sir, is YOUR very dastardly plan from the start: hack Alexa to convince @opnwide that this is indeed a good plan. Then, type up a very long message to effectively frame poor @opnwide when a spate of garage heists are carried out by a suspicious, sleepy gentleman in a snazzy new truck with stadium headlights. "Oh no, your honor, it was @opnwide all along - isn't it obvious from my posting?"

In fact, the more that I think about it, I think you and @SeaGeo are in cahoots. :)

Oh, and @opnwide, given that we're both in Denver, I welcome - nay CHALLENGE - you to try and open my piece of crap garage that isn't even big enough for a Prius, let alone the R1T. I'll leave a shiny new 5 dollar bill inside. It's all yours. And, while you're here, come on inside for a hot chocolate.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
big one that stands out to me is lack of battery preconditioning. that is a must for EVs, especially in hotter and colder climates. it better be coming in an OTA update.
I agree, this is a concern for me as well for one very important reason: It may be the only item that can't be affected by OTA updates, if it is simply baked into the hardware design.

Can anyone confirm that battery preconditioning is, in fact, part of the design? It seems obvious that it would be, but perhaps that is an assumption. Hopefully it's just not functioning as designed and so can be repaired.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I agree, this is a concern for me as well for one very important reason: It may be the only item that can't be affected by OTA updates, if it is simply baked into the hardware design.

Can anyone confirm that battery preconditioning is, in fact, part of the design? It seems obvious that it would be, but perhaps that is an assumption. Hopefully it's just not functioning as designed and so can be repaired.
That would 100% be the BMS software so updatable OTA. We already know the thermal circuits are in place to heat/cool the pack.

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
It'll be interesting to see if @Iwantatesla has had similar experiences.
I'm going to tackle this as much as I can.

Range - I've been getting 240-250 miles per charge, I know it hasn't been much yet but this is what I'm seeing. 20" All Terrain, drive it like a stole it, Regen on HIGH

DC Fast Charging
Sorry I cannot comment on it yet not enough DC Fast charging around me to try it where it's convenient :)

Build Quality
Initial build quality is awesome. Minus that one thing in my seat trim there were really no issues. Yes my Tonneau cover needs service, but this is not an initial build quality issue. I do think something happened with it and will report back when I get the full diagnosis.

Rivian Service- service has been ultra responsive and even proactive. My Rivian guide is so freaking awesome. Sometimes I feel like he wishes I had more questions.

Software
For now, it works very well. I don't know what else people want. The UI is snappy, music is good, Navigation works fine, I haven't had any screen freezes, but cameras have went out twice. Soft reset worked well.

The last update was GREAT in terms of making things feel zippier. I, like OP, had an issue with firmware push. Service let me know what to do. Had to do a hard reset -- hold on to Hazard light and leftmost button on left side of wheel and wait for 30 mins - 1 hour to have all system reset. Then they pushed firmware again and it took.

There are a ton of complaints and features that are needed, but here are the big ones:
  • Navigation takes the weirdest paths and is just generally kinda bad. Haven't seen any advancements with OTA updates in this regard
    • There is no way to see tire pressures - even though you can get a warning telling you to inflate "a tire" to 48psi. -- yes there is currently no way. This is something that can be easily added. Not a cause for concern. We are spoiled with Tesla.
    • There's no trip odometer or any info about driving perfomance/efficiency or anything to that extent. There is, hold right button on the left side of the steering wheel. I know people want Prius style charts and graphs. Again spoiled by Tesla by giving you data overload. Can be added
  • The manual regularly fails to launch - either wait 5 mins or reboot the displays to fix
    • Apps in general sometimes take a while to come up New update fixed
  • I have not experienced this Climate control in general needs a lot of work.
    • Climate randomly turns on in random zones
      • Can't control defog intensity - it's either on full blast or off.
      • Climate system relies on outside temp to determine heating vs cooling. If it's 30F outside, but 80F in the cabin, it'll turn on the heater when set to any temp above 30F.
  • I have not experienced this the lag referred to for the windows (is really a small time delay for accidental press - I actually think this is great). PWS is fine for me There's a noticeable lag in some physical controls:
    • unlocking/locking can randomly take up to 10 seconds to unlock (with the fob)
      • rolling up and down the windows has a strange lag to it (always)
      • pedestrian warning system can sometimes take a few moments to turn on once moving
  • Alexa has worked fine. Need to enunciate and give specific commands. Not context smart like Tesla (yet). Yes the Mobile app has a lot of space but that's ok. Precondition, lock unlock, charge... I will say they need to integrate maps better into the app.
  • The app has so much blank space. Right now, all you can do is the following:
    • lock/unlock (relatively quick now, still prefer to use the fob)
      • check range/SoC
      • check/set cabin temp
      • while charging: view charging status and curve (but with no legend or axis labels)
      • request/contact service
      • get current GPS coordinates of vehicle
    • Alexa voice commands + road noise = bad speech-to-text (and therefore a suboptimal Alexa experience)
Phantom Drain - I am in NY, so the weather has fluctutated between feels of 10 to 45. I have surprisingly not experienced crazy phantom drain. I was completely and utterly amazed by this and I am not sure why. I think the car does go into deep sleep mode since sometimes it takes a second for my phone key to recognize. I think the issue with OP is his Gear Guard is triggering a lot. 2000+ 30S clips is not normal. I do not drop 5 miles a day.

Driver+ and TACC - I have not experienced phantom braking yet. This very much works like one of the better iterations of Tesla's AP with Radar. Underpasses where I experienced phantom braking in the past in my Tesla I have no with the Rivian. I have not had issues engaging Driver+. For now it's geolocked on highways (and that's totally okay). Driver+ will improve in the future, just give it some time and more data. This goes hand in hand with Rivian's ramp. The quicker they ramp, the more data they have, the better driver+ gets. It's science.

The system in it's current state is better than what many legacy OEM's offer right now. I swear to God if I hear somebody say Distronic+ or other European systems I've used in the past are better-- you are in denial. I've literally driven with every system on the market believe what you want.

Rivian Insurance - Not using it, using Geico and it's the same price as my former Model Y (obviously your mileage may vary here)

Misc
Gear Guard records so many videos! Every event lasts 30s and records and stores all five camera angles, even if nothing moved in four of the camera views. Gets kind of annoying, but it's easy enough to delete all the videos if the truck seems fine when we get back to it. I think this is a user issue... lol

Could not figure out how to get the air compressor to work. Supposedly it needs to detect some pressure in order to activate, but that doesn't really help us when we're trying to inflate tubes or inflatable kayaks. There is a Pause Play button in the middle. I inflated Radioflyer Cyberquad tires with it and it worked just fine

No auto high beams - I believe they are there

Auto wipers work well in the daytime and alright at night (needs some manual triggers) - Not sure what that means-- it works fine and you can trigger it manually by lightly tapping the button

Rear display is still locked. Hopefully it gets unlocked in a future update!

The seats are incredibly comfortable - no complaints whatsoever. When in Sport Mode more bolstering would be nice but I get it... it's a truck

No homelink :( don't know this yet

Summary

This truck is just...awesome. Mechanically, it's rock-solid. QC and software need a lot of work, but bugs are already being squashed via OTA updates. Overall - fantastic car, would recommend when major software issues are fixed.

Just as I finished writing this, we received 2021.49.2. It failed to install, but release notes mention fixing a few of my complaints above (namely defog controls and some app launch/transition issues).

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
That would 100% be the BMS software so updatable OTA. We already know the thermal circuits are in place to heat/cool the pack.
I doubt the owner would be able to know whether the vehicle can/is preconditioning or not. It's not typically something communicated to the driver, it just happens (if at all).

Some people claim the e Tron does precondition when routing to DCFC, but no one can say for certain because it doesn't tell you. Also, the simple act of driving and using climate control preconditions the battery in most cases. In terms of starting off from your garage, there is definitely preconditioning that happens and helps a lot with range/efficiency if you schedule charging to end just prior to departure and/or if you turn on cabin heating for 10-15 mins prior to leaving.
Sponsored