Engineer

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Haha. I wish I had a garage. It is pretty uncommon for a house not to have a garage in Houston, but I live in a really old neighborhood. I am jealous of all y’all with your garage door opener issues and whether the car will fit in your garage.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Haha. I wish I had a garage. It is pretty uncommon for a house not to have a garage in Houston, but I live in a really old neighborhood. I am jealous of all y’all with your garage door opener issues and whether the car will fit in your garage.
Sounds like a case of Garage-envy!

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Diddy123, bravo for a superbly impartial, detailed, and forthwright summary. That a new startup EV would have these kind of critiques is not surprising. Frankly, it is more surprising that Rivian does not really seem interested in the beta test feedback.

I hope I’m wrong about the latter, because that is the only way this thing is going to reach the oucome we all expect. Same goes for the shareholders.

Thanks again.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hmmm....I think I smell a rat. I believe this diabolical plan was hatched long, long ago. In fact, I think you tipped your hand of your ultimate intent from the outset, back when you crafted the perfect forum name for a garage pirate. Then you thought up the perfect accomplice to innocently serve as your shill.

I can see it all now. As you quietly roll up to the first home on your list (sorry, @SeaGeo) in the middle of the night, you fire up Alexa, and whisper "Alexa, do you know where we are?" "Yes, opnwide". And just like that, the garage door opens when her own response to your reasonable, *innocent* question triggers her to act feloneously on her own command. Unfortunately, a passing police cruiser is suspicious and pulls you over.

Forunately, and very wisely, you've created plausible deniability in your plan. You rightfully tell the cop that Alexa, and Alexa alone, ordered that garage door to open. With crocodile tears, you sobbingly tell him that you're a well-loved family man and a very respected dentist in your town. You just needed to clear your head with a late night drive and she actually lives in the truck permanently. "And a very nice truck it is, sir" he says. "I've never seen a Rivian before. Who makes them?", he asks. Then, realizing some people resent having their conversations hijacked, he says "Um...nevermind. Let's get back to you opening up someone else's garage door."

"Officer, it was my passenger that did it. Honestly, I dont really even know this cold-voiced woman. The manufacturer told me 'If you want this really amazing truck, she's coming with you. Take her or leave it!' Officer, I'm telling you, I didn't have any choice in the matter. I wanted CarPlay or Android Auto, but they forced her on me!"

When the incredulous officer pokes his head into the cabin and asks Alexa what she has to say for herself, she calmly asks the officer if he'd prefer for her to play back the recording of the interaction that she was kind/dumb enough to record. The stunned officer says "Yes, please", attempting to be as polite to her as she's being to him. The officer is shocked to hear that cold, calculating bi+c# command someone else's garage door to "Open Wide". "Guilty!" he thinks to himself. Her confession is clear as day...in her own distinctive words, no less. When the officer asks you "Are you certain the UI stack didn't malfunction from, say, something caused by Sirius/XM or some other additional third-party hardware?", and you say "No chance in hell! Don't even get me started on that, officer!"

At this point, the officer is so confused by receiving such a calm, complete confession, he can't even remember if he's read Alexa her Miranda Rights. Embarrassed, he asks "Alexa, do you know your Miranda Rights?" Suffice it to say, he's not used to suspects being able to calming recite their rights perfectly, but after she finishes, he announces his intent to arrest her, but confesses that this is a rather weird case.

I have to say I agree with him wholeheartedly! I can also say I am glad @SeaGeo was first on your list, Mr. Dentist, or whatever you really are.

I truly enjoyed your post! That was a fun read. I'm guessing I should learn to shut off the keyboard earlier, but this is way more fun than sleeping.

I hope you and yours are doing well and that your area is beginning the long path to recovering from the recent, horrendous firestorm.

All my best!

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This sure isn't like a Tesla site full of fanboi's, where if you criticize even a spec of dirt on the nose, they'll attack you for it.
I don't know, a few people seemed to criticize the guy for thinking he didn't know about his own headlights. Granted, I am sure as some of trucks roll out, there will be some features or ways the R1T does things that are different than what a new owner is use to.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I personally doubt any significant amount of battery drain is due to the keyless entry systems. The energy needed to keep Bluetooth or NFC going is tiny compared to the energy needed to move a ~7k lb vehicle. I am guessing this is battery management or something along those lines. Gear guard is possible as well for the 2-3mi range level.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I personally doubt any significant amount of battery drain is due to the keyless entry systems. The energy needed to keep Bluetooth or NFC going is tiny compared to the energy needed to move a ~7k lb vehicle. I am guessing this is battery management or something along those lines. Gear guard is possible as well for the 2-3mi range level.
Keeping the 120V outlets on is also a constant drain even if they are unused.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Hmmm....I think I smell a rat. I believe this diabolical plan was hatched long, long ago. In fact, I think you tipped your hand of your ultimate intent from the outset, back when you crafted the perfect forum name for a garage pirate. Then you thought up the perfect accomplice to innocently serve as your shill.

I can see it all now. As you quietly roll up to the first home on your list (sorry, @SeaGeo) in the middle of the night, you fire up Alexa, and whisper "Alexa, do you know where we are?" "Yes, opnwide". And just like that, the garagedoor opens when her own response to your reasonable, innocent question triggers her to act feloneously on her own command. Unfortunately, a passing police Cruiser is suspicious and pulls you over.

Forunately, and very wisely, you've created plausible deniability in your plan. You rightfully tell the cop that Alexa, and Alexa alone ordered that garage door to open. With crocodile tears, you sobbingly tell them you're a well-loved family man and a very respected dentist in your town. You just needed to clear your head with a late night drive and she actually lives in the truck. "And a very nice truck it is, sir" he says. "I've never seen a Rivian before. Who makes them?", he asks. Then, realizing some people resent having their conversations hijacked, he says "Um...nevermind. Let's get back to you opening up someone else's garage."

"Officer, it was my passenger that did it. Honestly, I dont really even know this cold-voiced woman. The manufacturer told me 'If you want this really amazing truck, she's coming with you. Take her or leave it!' Officer! I'm telling you, I didn't have any choice in the matter. I wanted CarPlay or Android Auto, but they forced her on me!"

When the incredulous officer pokes his head in the cabin and asks Alexa what she has to say for her self, she calmly asks the officer if he'd prefer for her to play back the recording of the interaction that she was kind/dumb enough to record. The stunned officer says "Yes, please", attempting to be as polite to her as she's being to him. The officer is shocked to hear that cold, calculating bi+c# command someone else's garagedoor to "Open Wide". "Guilty!" he thinks to himself. Her confession is clear as day...in her own words. When the officer asks you "Are you certain the UI stack didn't malfunction from, say, something caused by Sirius/XM?", and you say "No chance in hell! Don't even get me started, officer!"

At this point, the officer is so confused by receiving such a calm, complete confession, he can't even remember if he's read Alexa her Miranda Rights. Embarrassed, he asks "Alexa, do you know your Miranda Rights?" Suffice it to say, he's not used to suspects being able to calming recite their rights perfectly, but after she finishes, he announces his intent to arrest her, but confesses that this is a rather weird case.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly! I can also say I am glad @SeaGeo was first on your list there, Mr. Dentist, or whatever you really are.

I truly enjoyed your post! That was a fun read. I'm guessing I should learn to shut off the keyboard earlier, but this is way more fun than sleeping.

I hope you and yours are doing well and that your area is beginning the long path to recovering from the horrendous firestorm.

All my best!
I don’t know about confession. I think of Alexa as a crazy woman that I don’t want to get mad and I certainly don’t want to get in the same car with. She will throw me under the bus in a heart beat.

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
I'd assume so, but I guess my point is I don't see keyless entry systems providing that much of a drain when idle for weeks. Case in point, I can leave my ICE car parked for weeks, and the keyless entry (the whole 12v system, actually) works fine even without the alternator running for those weeks.
Smarter cars like Teslas and presumably Rivian have a lot more going on than keyless entry while parked. GPS, WiFi, safety & security features outside gear guard, etc.

This drain seems on par with expectations. Can be made better as the software is made more efficient, but currently within reason if you’re not fully powering down the car.

Fully powered down, a Tesla will lose almost no energy. Simply parked and left sitting it will lose less than this, but not much.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Smarter cars like Teslas and presumably Rivian have a lot more going on than keyless entry while parked. GPS, WiFi, safety & security features outside gear guard, etc.

This drain seems on par with expectations. Can be made better as the software is made more efficient, but currently within reason if you’re not fully powering down the car.

Fully powered down, a Tesla will lose almost no energy. Simply parked and left sitting it will lose less than this, but not much.
I get that, but this sub-thread was in direct response to someone proposing ditching keyless entry to alleviate heavy battery drain. My point was this single feature is likely a minuscule, possibly irrelevant, portion of the drain noted by this owner.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I get that, but this sub-thread was in direct response to someone proposing ditching keyless entry to alleviate heavy battery drain. My point was this single feature is likely a minuscule, possibly irrelevant, portion of the drain noted by this owner.
It could be another thought about future modes though. Low-power mode to minimize phantom drain for long stays in the outdoors where there are no plugs.
Sponsored