First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I don't know if Tesla uses human recognition, but we've never had an issue with too many recordings with our Model 3. It handles sentry recordings quite well, though playback leaves a lot to be desired.
That's funny - I have to turn it off in my garage because it will record hundreds or thousands of clips overnight just from shifts in lighting and shadows throughout the day. Likewise I often disable it if I'm parking anywhere outdoors overnight, especially in poor weather, because the lights flashing every time the camera wakes up due to a raindrop will drive my neighbors insane.

In relatively open spaces with good lighting and no weather, it does seem to do well.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

That's funny - I have to turn it off in my garage because it will record hundreds or thousands of clips overnight just from shifts in lighting and shadows throughout the day. Likewise I often disable it if I'm parking anywhere outdoors overnight, especially in poor weather, because the lights flashing every time the camera wakes up due to a raindrop will drive my neighbors insane.

In relatively open spaces with good lighting and no weather, it does seem to do well.
While that isn't my experience with Sentry mode, it sounds exactly like my ring cameras!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
-Manual states "Push the lights stalk away from you and hold for 2 seconds to turn on auto high beams. Push the lights stalk away again to turn off." Does this work or not?
The writer's obliviousness to the existence of high beams gives a certain color to the rest of their comments. Glad they love the vehicle, though. And very glad the updates are coming fast and furious. (cf. 2001-49.2)

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Biggest concerns for me based on this report:

- Tesla-level quality control/gaps etc.
-Phantom Drain of that amount is completely unacceptable
-Terrible navigation. What a surprise. AA/CP yet again showing why it's critical
-No auto high-beams? I mean, this is entry-level honda kind-of stuff.
-Phantom braking so bad that the user has opted to simply turn off Driver+
- As a Tesla owner, no real issues on quality and gaps. You can nitpick or look for things and you'll find in EVERY car (well, don't know about RR, Bent.y and Ferrari...)

- Phantom drain is about what I expected. Typical for EVs

- Nav is not a good news. Was hoping for it to be adequate. Tesla nav also gives some strange routing too but as a human, I override it on the regular basis if see that it makes no sense.

- I don't like auto high beams so I've turn that feature off. I will for any vehicle I own.

- Phantom braking is unacceptable and dangerous. That is the worse thing I'd read in the post - agree

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Right - in 18ish months, I would expect all of the major issues and most of the minor issues to be ironed out...hopefully.
Thankfully the Rivian mug i got 2 years ago is still on my desk holding liquids like a champ! I wonder if it could keep a cup of coffee hot until "soon" arrives?!

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I am starting to like my 23 window.

Elsewhere: left for three days in 40F-50F weather, lost ~50 miles of range (SoC dropped ~15%). Did not connect via app. Gear Guard was off.
In the garage: drops ~5 miles/day in LA weather with Gear Guard off and no app connections.
I don't own an EV but I have heard in cold you lose access to some of the stored power but it will become available once battery warms up.

However as a new convert from ICE, that 5 mile a day loss really bugs me.

Rivian Insurance
It's still in its infancy - most things still need to be done over the phone, and it doesn't (yet) auto-deduct my monthly premium. Rates (for this truck only) are far better than 3rd party insurance, but I guess that's to be expected. Services provided through Nationwide.
I wonder if Rivian is sharing my driving habits/location/...../data with Nationwide and if I have any control where it goes from there.

Rear display is still locked. Hopefully it gets unlocked in a future update!
Anyone knows what he is talking about here? Is this display coming from rear camera?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

The writer's obliviousness to the existence of high beams gives a certain color to the rest of their comments. Glad they love the vehicle, though. And very glad the updates are coming fast and furious. (cf. 2001-49.2)
Agreed, though he does say "The manual regularly fails to launch - either wait 5 mins or reboot the displays to fix " so maybe a very small pass on some of it.
Wait who am I kidding, I don't even have the car and have read the manual. Pass revoked!

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Anyone knows what he is talking about here? Is this display coming from rear camera?
Guessing the 5mi per day has to do with gear guard, otherwise that is a bit ridiculous as I don't experience that in 1-2 weeks with my Leaf.
I'm guessing he is talking about display for the rear seats, but not sure what they will 'unlock' for awhile??

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I am starting to like my 23 window.

I don't own an EV but I have heard in cold you lose access to some of the stored power but it will become available once battery warms up.

I wonder if Rivian is sharing my driving habits/location/...../data with Nationwide and if I have any control where it goes from there.

The last software update fixed several latency and bug issues (photo of the release notes is on the main page of this site) but in doing so, they locked out the backseat climate screen. I'd assume due to some software gremlin that came up during the latest build.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-2-installed-release-notes-and-feedback.3273/

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Many FW related issues. Looking forward to MANY resolutions and improvements before I take possession on my R1S 1H 2023!!

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
No home link? Such a basic function. For security reasons its a must have for me!

OP
OP

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'm pretty certain he's saying they don't function. Not that he's oblivious to the option on the stalk.

But you should obviously take the writer's comments with as many grains of salt as you see fit to.

Until we have more data points, it's all just 1 person's opinion at a time, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Guessing the 5mi per day has to do with gear guard, otherwise that is a bit ridiculous as I don't experience that in 1-2 weeks with my Leaf.
It seems like the smarter and more communicative they are, the hungrier they get. I really prefer actual keys to unlock the door. Unlocking the door physically would wake up the car as well. I would take the wrist band and card as backup but would like an external button to wake up the car in locked mode to enable their use. That way the car does not have to waste juice always listening for commands. I don't mind a little inconvenience to save that 5 mile a day at all. I have nothing against intelligence, the problem is when they are not as smart as they think they are. If I sound like an old geezer, it is because I am one.

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm pretty certain he's saying they don't function. Not that he's oblivious to the option on the stalk.
"No auto high beams "
I'm not sure I can honestly interpret this any other way than he doesn't realize they are available ?‍♂
Sponsored