Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Please note that the original post on Reddit was deleted as apparently the person who posted it wasn't the owner and it was an employee truck. See this post for the details: Link to weirdness

Update 2: Apparently the owner/employee of the truck was threatened with termination for the Information that was provided. I don’t want that potential consequence on my conscience, so I’m taking the details down.

Sorry all.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Biggest concerns for me based on this report:

- Tesla-level quality control/gaps etc.
-Phantom Drain of that amount is completely unacceptable
-Terrible navigation. What a surprise. AA/CP yet again showing why it's critical
-No funtioning auto high-beams? I mean, this is entry-level honda kind-of stuff.
-Phantom braking so bad that the user has opted to simply turn off Driver+

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I'd definitely been waiting for a good impartial owner experience. Again, considering its a new vehicle off a fresh production line, I'm good with giving them a bit of slack. That said, makes waiting on the Max Pack pill, a little easier to swallow.

Thanks for reposting this!

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Some of these sound like software bugs that should be corrected in the near term. Some sound odd since several reviewers have had these trucks more than a day and othered haven’t reported similar problems, Ie the window controls.

Also, expecting a Tesla infotainment system seems unrealistic. Carplay and AA would solve many issues for them. I haven’t driven a Tesla, but I have never liked any cars nav system.

With those things said, the slow rollout gives Rivian a chance to get real customer feedback and respond. If they are actively responding and quickly releasing updates that’s a good sign. I will say, I’d be a bit ticked if my truck was missing accessories when delivered.

I haven’t seen it in the manual does the driver seat have driver memory? Anyone know this?

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I'd definitely been waiting for a good impartial owner experience. Again, considering its a new vehicle off a fresh production line, I'm good with giving them a bit of slack. That said, makes waiting on the Max Pack pill, a little easier to swallow.

Thanks for reposting this!
Right - in 18ish months, I would expect all of the major issues and most of the minor issues to be ironed out...hopefully.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Some real concerns there. I can only hope the R1T/R1S doesn't go the way of the iPace.. immense early hype, excellent all around car, completely crippled by poor range/charging/software.

Whenever a company says "oh we'll just OTA fix it!" my immediate reaction is "if it's that easy to fix, why'd you sell it broken?"

Also just could be a lemon. I hate to say it but I fully expect 5-15% of LE R1T/R1S cars to be lemon or near lemon status. It's a pretty consistent problem with EVs. See Mach E, Polestar, Taycan, iPace, eTron, etc etc..

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Definitely a lot of concerns to report back on, but some appear to just be user error. We've all seen shots of the efficiency graph on the left side of the driver display so not sure why they haven't found it. Pretty sure auto high beams are included, so also might be user error. Also, after all the bullets on charging, the last one yields an average speed of over 140kw for 10-80% if the ~40 mins estimate is accurate, which is in line with expectations. So, not sure what the takeaway there is other than something may have happened recently that makes that stat no longer valid.

He's also two releases behind on software (not his error) as he noted. I would expect the Gear Guard to need some sort of facial recognition software to know when to engage or not, otherwise you end up with a trail cam like experience as described. Does Tesla do a good job of only engaging when humans are detected?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Biggest concerns for me based on this report:

- Tesla-level quality control/gaps etc.
-Phantom Drain of that amount is completely unacceptable
-Terrible navigation. What a surprise. AA/CP yet again showing why it's critical
-No auto high-beams? I mean, this is entry-level honda kind-of stuff.
-Phantom braking so bad that the user has opted to simply turn off Driver+
-They've had it for two months already? They obviously got one of the early builds. I imagine things are getting better already.

-Navigation is a really hard problem to solve. I think I heard they are using mapbox for it?

-Phantom drain of that amount is likely due to gear-guard. I don't have any first hand knowledge but it sounds similar to what Sentry mode in a tesla is.

-Manual states "Push the lights stalk away from you and hold for 2 seconds to turn on auto high beams. Push the lights stalk away again to turn off." Does this work or not?

-Can't really offer an opinion on the phantom braking. System likely just needs more tuning.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Very helpful and insightful comments. Makes my expectations more realistic and makes me realize I need to educate myself on the charging process.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
-No auto high-beams? I mean, this is entry-level honda kind-of stuff.
+1 on both, especially the latter. Was this expected? Are they planning to add auto high beams OTA?

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Some of these sound like software bugs that should be corrected in the near term. Some sound odd since several reviewers have had these trucks more than a day and othered haven’t reported similar problems, Ie the window controls.

Also, expecting a Tesla infotainment system seems unrealistic. Carplay and AA would solve many issues for them. I haven’t driven a Tesla, but I have never liked any cars nav system.

With those things said, the slow rollout gives Rivian a chance to get real customer feedback and respond. If they are actively responding and quickly releasing updates that’s a good sign. I will say, I’d be a bit ticked if my truck was missing accessories when delivered.

I haven’t seen it in the manual does the driver seat have driver memory? Anyone know this?
I thought it would per each users profile, and seemingly this thread confirms it
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/memory-seats-for-multiple-driver-profiles.3024/

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Manual suggests seat/wheel/mirror/media is part of your Rivian account, which I take to mean it should actually transfer between vehicles if you use your same account.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I would expect the Gear Guard to need some sort of facial recognition software to know when to engage or not, otherwise you end up with a trail cam like experience as described. Does Tesla do a good job of only engaging when humans are detected?
I don't know if Tesla uses human recognition, but we've never had an issue with too many recordings with our Model 3. It handles sentry recordings quite well, though playback leaves a lot to be desired.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

On behalf of everyone on this forum, thanks for beta testing our vehicles. It only makes ours better come production delivery and I believe that's the whole point of giving to employees and others first.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Really appreciate hearing the first hand report. It will be interesting to compare to spring consumer deliveries. I'll give a pass on some software issues and things like missing accessories in the employee phase, but those get a lot grosser in February/March (even though I've seen both with my Tesla, e.g. my Model Y arrived without the aero wheel covers).

Some of these (e.g. the window control lag and interface lag) are totally inconsistent with my First Drive experience, so hopefully there's a bit of "early build"/"early software" going on here that won't apply to future vehicles. I didn't notice any issues with control lag or climate weirdness in my test drive.

Overall it sounds like the software is very early and at least a few hardware quirks are being ironed out, which isn't totally surprising given the known issues with things like the tonneau cover and camera refresh rate from early press drives. I have confidence that they're fixable but it does put deliveries in a strange place if software and peripherals are the long pole blocking readiness rather than e.g. the production ramp.

Regarding the phantom drain - unfortunately that's 100% consistent with what I've seen in cold weather with a Tesla. Sentry absolutely sucks power, especially if it's alarming a lot, and cold weather in general can easily be a 5+%/day hit. On at least one occasion I've lost close to 10% overnight in very cold weather camping. There may be marginal gains to be made here in software and configuration (e.g. disabling Gear Guard), but it's also important to remember that EVs like to be plugged in and are generally not the kind of vehicle you leave in an airport lot for two weeks.
Sponsored