Sponsored

Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
And I can't speak to off roading setups which I know nothing about. But again, the purpose here is aftermarket wheels for winter tires street driving.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
This is true. But I think you are exaggerating (and overthinking) the affect it will have the truck when the purpose is an aftermarket wheel/tire setup for winter driving. Setting up & dialing in a race car is one thing (which I've done maaany) and finding an adequate set of wheels for a winter tire set on a truck is quite another. I doubt the difference in offset will have any noticeable affect while street driving an R1T with winter tires.
The purpose certainly matters. If you are swapping only for specific conditions (e.g. every time it snows) a large deviation in specs might be less of an issue. However, I like mounting the "winter" wheels and tires in late fall and I don't swap back until early spring. In my view, that's a significant portion of the driving, so getting things as close to OE is important to me. Also, I'm not talking just about race cars (but the 6-10mm example is based on one). I'm talking about a much larger change in an important parameter for an off-road vehicle. In my experience with 4WD/AWD where I made modifications (Wranglers and Imprezas) a large change like this makes a noticable difference, and not a good one.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Also, I'm not talking just about race cars (but the 6-10mm example is based on one). I'm talking about a much larger change in an important parameter for an off-road vehicle. In my experience with 4WD/AWD where I made modifications (Wranglers and Imprezas) a large change like this makes a noticable difference, and not a good one.
Yeah, I know it's a much bigger deal in the offroad world and like I said I know nothing about that. I got a 2nd set of OEM 20" for my winter setup but I wouldn't hesitate to put any tire rack options on my truck for daily driving a winter setup.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So what’s the consensus here? I’m strongly considering getting a second set of winter rims/tires at 20” as the cost for 22” winter tires is almost $500 each.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
So what’s the consensus here? I’m strongly considering getting a second set of winter rims/tires at 20” as the cost for 22” winter tires is almost $500 each.
That’s my plan as well. My preorder has 22’s and I will source 20’s for winter & off-road tires. I prefer the look of the 22’s and 75% of my driving will be just fine. But the off-road weekends will require more sidewall and tread and I’m convinced dedicated winter tires will be beneficial. I had Blizzaks for my LR3 and they were amazing. And those alternatives will be less expensive on the 20’s.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is true. But I think you are exaggerating (and overthinking) the affect it will have the truck when the purpose is an aftermarket wheel/tire setup for winter driving. Setting up & dialing in a race car is one thing (which I've done maaany) and finding an adequate set of wheels for a winter tire set on a truck is quite another. I doubt the difference in offset will have any noticeable affect while street driving an R1T with winter tires.
But it may cause rubbing at the lowest suspension setting.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Sourcing a set of winter wheels & tires should not (expletive) require 10 different threads just trying to piece-part together a fitment. There will always be opinions about looks and performance of various options. But we talking about fitment.

Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 1669567382536

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 volvo xc90, 19 gmc terrain
Occupation
operating engineer
Alright so… show me a set of 20s that fit, that won’t rub in lower suspension settings that don’t cost 1,000 a rim

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
But it may cause rubbing at the lowest suspension setting.
Someone on reddit did tirerack with 20' TireRack wheels with blizzaks and gets rubbing in lowest setting but only soft suspension setting. Simple, don't run line lowest mode or pony-up for OEM rims. Can find details on reddit if want to learn more.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Alright so… show me a set of 20s that fit, that won’t rub in lower suspension settings that don’t cost 1,000 a rim
Yeah, it reminds me of the "Affordable Care Act"... "affordable" is just part of the name, doesn't actually mean it's actually "affordable".

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
If I could track them down I wouldn’t be starting a thread asking for help.

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@iKnowKenMeadows So I just fit up a set of these today: 950B Gauge – Raceline Wheels PN 950B-29055+18 and can 100% confirm they fit with plenty of caliper clearance, and at $330/ea they're not a terrible price. I'm looking at oversize tires so can't comment on any tire fitment issues in the specific sizes you're looking at, but it's a start.

Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 1669767546897

OEM head on
Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 1669767731333

Racelines head on (~1/2 in farther outboard)
Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 1669767762559

Hope this helps, I'll update when some tires get thrown on there.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
There are used/old ram 1500 wheels that fit. Offset +18. I was able to find a few through Facebook for <300 for 4. Will post pics when I get them.

You'll need hub centric rings as well. Just be very careful on getting the right wheels. Some are deceptively similar but won't work. Take note at shape of the spoke at the edge of the wheels. The pic belos shows how they're pretty square. There are near identical wheels that won't fit that are curves and roundish.

Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires Screenshot_20221121_152732_Bromite

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 84F2994D-7A62-4AEE-B448-B08B7F46E6D3

anyone see any issues with this setup?
Sponsored