First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
New 250+KW DCFC cost vary greatly between $10K and 150K depending on the location and surrounding electrical infrastructure. Keep in mind that a bank of 8 EA DCFC in a Walmart has an electrical demand about equal to the entire Walmart it often requires the utility company to upgrade the service transformer and sometimes even as far back as the nearest substation for larger DCFC sites. The slower 50KW DCFC more common at dealerships I would think would cost more in the $10K range as they are less likely to require new upgraded services from the host site.
And RAN DCFC is only 300kw chargers as far as we have seen.
Sponsored

TeamEV

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (one day)
Grand Junction, CO. Same address as the Superchargers, not sure about GPS

Installation of commercial electric vehicle charging station in existing parking lot. Work will inclue the installation of (1) utility transformer (1) Switchgear) (6) Rivian DC fast chargers (2) Rivian level 2 chargers (8) Deterrent Bollards and (2) Removeable Bollards.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I do really like the fact that even at L3 locations, they trickle in a few L2s. Not only will that help the public, but if I want to leave me truck overnight / all day, I have an option.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I just got off the phone with CS. I called in to ask them to please consider installing chargers at Bucees. I always make a pit stop at Bucees when driving from Houston to any of the other major Texas cities (San Antonio, Dallas, Austin). CS told me that the Northeast has a store similar to Bucees called Wawa. Hopefully, they will consider looking at installing chargers at both. Having chargers at Bucees would help alleviate my fear of range anxiety.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I just got off the phone with CS. I called in to ask them to please consider installing chargers at Bucees. I always make a pit stop at Bucees when driving from Houston to any of the other major Texas cities (San Antonio, Dallas, Austin). CS told me that the Northeast has a store similar to Bucees called Wawa. Hopefully, they will consider looking at installing chargers at both. Having chargers at Bucees would help alleviate my fear of range anxiety.
Tesla partnered with Sheetz, which is a mostly mid-Atlantic chain similar to Wawa and Bucees. Those types of businesses, and maybe even oil-heavy Love's, Pilot, etc., will eventually get into EV charging, but it might come in the form of chargers that they own and make $ off, rather than just letting someone else run a charger on their property. Hard to predict right now.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Having been to both a Bucees and a Wawa, I can tell you that the CS person you spoke to is insane. Wawa is nothing like Bucees.

That said, charging stations at Bucees would be awesome.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Tesla partnered with Sheetz, which is a mostly mid-Atlantic chain similar to Wawa and Bucees. Those types of businesses, and maybe even oil-heavy Love's, Pilot, etc., will eventually get into EV charging, but it might come in the form of chargers that they own and make $ off, rather than just letting someone else run a charger on their property. Hard to predict right now.
Love's has partnered with EA for several locations.

https://www.loves.com/en/news/2020/...nounces-collaboration-with-loves-travel-stops

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Ah, yeah. I had completely forgotten about that! I'd be thrilled with more locations like that. Wawa, Sheetz, Bucees, Loves, TA, QT, etc. All of those are oriented around other services just as much as the gas they sell. They shouldn't care about selling electricity vs. gasoline/diesel. In fact, selling electricity has an advantage for them: you'll spend more time in their convenience store.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Have noticed EA chargers at Sheetz, not any Tesla superchargers. Am planning one as a potential bathroom/charging stop for our monthly trip to visit family.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I certainly won't mind chargers at Bucees. I could easily spend an hour there.

I see the closest location for me is in Broomfield, CO. That'll work out well for me, but I'm excited to see locations in Silverthorne and Fairplay, CO. I haven an acre on a mountain in Fairplay. I'm planning to start building my cabin up there in 2024. There are some chargers already there but I don't think they are fast chargers. Silverthorne is good for me as well since I tend to drive down I70 quite a bit. There is also a charger planned in Idaho Springs.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Have noticed EA chargers at Sheetz, not any Tesla superchargers. Am planning one as a potential bathroom/charging stop for our monthly trip to visit family.
Rivian R1T R1S RAN Rivian Charging Stations Locations Map via Google Maps 4609C603-372F-4C88-9BA1-277B23FCEA1A

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Rivian says ~25 miles per hour added at their Waypoint chargers. These are at a museum. If you assume most people spend at least 2 hours there, that's 50 miles or more of added range. Someone who lives in an apartment in the Bay Area with no way to charge at home would probably find that quite useful. Someone who drove a couple hours to go to the museum and dinner will probably find it quite useful, and it may be the difference of them not having to make a stop at a DCFC station on their drive to or from.

An L3 charger located somewhere with people spending 2+ hours becomes a major pain in practice. Your vehicle is fully charged in under an hour. That means you have to leave the museum a little while into your visit to move your car.

L3 chargers are very important, but so are L2 chargers. Their use cases are very different. In this instance, L2 chargers can provide a decent mileage increase for up to 34 vehicles at a time for about the same cost as an L3 site with a handful of charging stations, maybe even quite a bit less.

FYI: Rivian plans to install 600 L3 RAN sites with 3,500+ charging units. They also plan to install another 10,000+ Waypoint chargers like this museum setup. Both of those numbers are theoretically installations completed by the end of 2023.
About 500 chargers a month. 125 a week. 25 per day. Errr, if the R1T and R1S have had repeated delays. East is the odds of this many chargers going in the next 24 months?
Sponsored