Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Finally had the opportunity to try out a RAN site with the opening of the Broomfield, CO location. I spent most of the week running the truck down to 9% by the time I reached the station. Truck preconditioned the battery for about 20 min while enroute, so the battery may have still been a little cool from sitting overnight. I'm on the latest, 2023.14.0 as well.

TL;DR, color me impressed. I saw 50 kWh added in the first 15 minutes and holding nearly 200 kW that whole time.

The linked spreadsheet includes a ton of information at high temporal resolution as well as a bunch of charts in the tabs. I've included the charts here as well, but the last one may interest folks as it shows (for this session) how many miles you could expect to add for various efficiencies from 1.2 mi/kWh to 2.2 mi/kWh. Another chart of note is kWh added per minute rather than kW, with the max around 3.5 kWh per minute.

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 17.20.30

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 17.20.03

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 17.20.59

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 17.21.20

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 17.21.39

Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station IMG_3906
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great information. Thanks!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
So I drove to Gila Bend AZ on Saturday just to try out that new site and confirm it was operational. I started the charge at 47% SoC and it started charging at 218kw. I only charged for 11 minutes and it added 30kwh. I think it had ramped down to 134kw when I stopped And was about 70%.

Last edited:

eaa56

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, ecoDiesel, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Retired
So I drove to Gila Bend AZ on Saturday just to try out that new site and confirm it was operational. I started the charge at 47% SoC and it started charging at 218kw. I only charged for 11 minutes and it added 30kwh. I think it had ramped down to 134kw when I stopped And was about 70%.
Good to know that the Gila Bend RAN is up and running. I'm heading out there tomorrow.

Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
That's better than my second experience with a RAN (Benton Harbor Michigan) - I was all over the place between 120kw and 215kw. For the first 25 minutes. I think I rolled in "too low" (3%) and the battery got overheated in the first 10 or so minutes. Or it wasn't well balanced because the truck turned off preconditioning at such a low SoC? Anyway, most of my experience with big charging rates has been arrival around 10-18%, in which case it will ride 200+kw for at least 12 minutes or until ~45%

Also, big thanks for providing all the different X axis options. I find that by time is a far more useful metric.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I haven't taken delivery yet, so I have no first hand experience. But from other posts and Youtube videos depicting charging curves at EA and other non-Rivian CCS sites, the RAN curves that @zefram47 so kindly put together here appear better (quicker charging to 70%) than non-RAN charging.
Can any of you with experience at EA and RAN comment on this? It's easy to get spoiled with 250KW charging in a Model 3, but those peaks taper pretty quickly. I'm impressed with these RAN curves.
Thanks again for taking the time to present this data.

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
I haven't taken delivery yet, so I have no first hand experience. But from other posts and Youtube videos depicting charging curves at EA and other non-Rivian CCS sites, the RAN curves that @zefram47 so kindly put together here appear better (quicker charging to 70%) than non-RAN charging.
Can any of you with experience at EA and RAN comment on this? It's easy to get spoiled with 250KW charging in a Model 3, but those peaks taper pretty quickly. I'm impressed with these RAN curves.
My experience is that a RAN charger, an actually functioning (rare) 350kw EA charger, and a 350kw EVgo charger give me the same behavior.

You might just be seeing the discrepancy of 6-12 months of improved thermal management through OTAs.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I have done only a few fast charges at a RAN. From memory truck charges around 200KW almost to 50%. Overall it's pretty quick

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Pretty much get the same charge curve EA and RAN.

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I still yo-yo between the 200+ peaks and ~145 kW presumably due to battery overheating at any EA 350 kW charger I use. Never holds the 200 more than a minute or two. Will be interesting to see if it is any different when I ever make it to a RAN. Was hoping the Front Royal, VA location might be open in time for my trip next month that will go right past it.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I have to ask because I don’t have my R1S yet and I’ve never owned an EV. If you don’t charge at home where it’s convenient overnight or whatever isn’t it a pain in the ass to wait at a charging station for 1 hour+? Like how long does it average? Do you only charge enough to get you to your destination and back or do you “top off”?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have to ask because I don’t have my R1S yet and I’ve never owned an EV. If you don’t charge at home where it’s convenient overnight or whatever isn’t it a pain in the ass to wait at a charging station for 1 hour+? Like how long does it average? Do you only charge enough to get you to your destination and back or do you “top off”?
Depends on how patient you are in general. For me in my R1S cross country trip most charges were in the 30 minute range. By the time you go to the bathroom and grab a drink you are probably waiting 10 minutes or so. If you stay under 75% it charges pretty quick. For us we only charge as high as we need to get to the next stop with a little buffer and it was not bad.

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Arv
I have home charging, though only 24A, but I'd imagine opportunity charging is what most would do. Rather than "filling the tank", you'd either go to 70-80% at a fast charger maybe once a week and then charge at Level 2 (240V) stations where able...work, restaurants, stores, etc. Honestly, in cities we really need a hell of a lot more Level 2 charging and probably less DCFC.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Depends on how patient you are in general. For me in my R1S cross country trip most charges were in the 30 minute range. By the time you go to the bathroom and grab a drink you are probably waiting 10 minutes or so. If you stay under 75% it charges pretty quick. For us we only charge as high as we need to get to the next stop with a little buffer and it was not bad.
Good to know thanks Sanz and zefram!
Sponsored