First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
30-40 miles per day w/solar? I don't believe it!
A little latitude makes a pretty big difference. I live at about 30 degrees N, and you'd have to go south out of Georgia to about Gainsville, FL to find that latitude. There's another 4 degrees of latitude south of me before you get out of Texas...at which point you'd about be in Jupiter or Juno Beach FL.

Also, in South Texas, unlike a lot of the east coast near this latitude, it doesn't cloud up and rain for a couple of hours ever day in the summer.
Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
30-40 miles per day w/solar? I don't believe it!
I have no idea how accurate their claim is, but here's what Aptera says about their charging system:
Continuously charging technology.
Eliminate the worry of finding charging stations. Aptera’s unique diamond shaped solar panels maximize the energy you get from the sun. This gives fully equipped vehicles ~700 Watts of continuous charging power — whether you’re driving or parked.

How can Aptera get up to 40 miles of solar charge per day?
Depending on where you live and how your vehicle is configured, some drivers can get up to 40 miles of range per day powered by the sun. Our Co-CEO Steve Fambro explains the science behind this engineering innovation from the team at Aptera.

They also have a solar calculator on their web site that gives estimates by latitude.

If it really gets 10 miles per kW I suppose on a really good day and parked in the optimal location it could. I have a 6.2 kw system, it generated 37 kw today. At 700 watts with the proper orientation that setup could have generated 4.1 kW.
As shown above, Aptera says that their panels produce 700w of power and claim that over the course of a day, they will produce about 4kW. They also claim that their cars are highly efficient and use about 100 wH/mi, which as shown in the video, is where the 40 miles per day range figure comes from.

Again, I have no idea how accurate any of the claims are, but have been interested enough to put down a very small pre-order deposit.

Kkanipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Interesting heads up display. I like that. The rest of the truck is underwhelming me.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Interesting heads up display. I like that. The rest of the truck is underwhelming me.
I used to love HUDs but grew to despise them. With full and interactive display clusters HUDs became redundant to me and only a distraction, especially at night. But I couldn't turn them off b/c I paid "extra" for that feature. I'm glad Rivian doesn't have it as an option b/c I would be tempted to add it and then have to use it! :CWL:
Sponsored