Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I will disagree with the lots of truck owners are in your position. I think many more of them are in my position, that it gets used as an actual truck a couple times a year or a guy uses it as a weekend warrior handyman type dude. The Rivian 100% fits that role for just about everyone like that. Most trucks are mall crawlers and the Rivian with its acceleration and handling are the kings of the pavement princesses.

Maybe you know more people towing stuff than I do but most people I see with trucks don't even own a trailer.
I've towed more trailers with my Bolt EV than my R1T so far..
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I've towed more trailers with my Bolt EV than my R1T so far..
The bolt has a hitch? I doubt it would do very well with my 7x16' dual axel enclosed trailer though. Or could it?

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
People's towing needs are on a spectrum. The spectrum goes from people like me, who only tow very short distances so towing capacity and even a 300 mile normal range Rivian battery is more than enough, to people who need to tow from New York to California every other week with most people falling somewhere in between.

There are people for who the Rivian is close but just not barely enough, or people where the Rivian can almost make it to the next fast charger. The Ram is good for those people. So to pretend that it won't open a towing market to anyone else is untrue.
Those aren't mainstream. The market you're describing are just the enthusiast like the YouTube couple and willing to put up with the towing issues for now, which is a small market at best. The only other market is the occasional utility trailer or boat tow around town or to the local lake as mentioned above.

If the average Joe goes to his dealer (let's say I own a dealer), why would i tell him his truck has a range of 500 miles at best and if he tows his travel trailer his range will plummet to half or less. He'll also have to disconnect and drop the trailer to charge every 175 miles. Along with that it will take at least an hour or more to charge to 80%. He'll have second, third and fourth thoughts about buying an EV truck to tow. So to fix that, I won't mention those issues in the sales pitch/conversation.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Those aren't mainstream. The market you're describing are just the enthusiast like the YouTube couple and willing to put up with the towing issues for now, which is a small market at best. The only other market is the occasional utility trailer or boat tow around town or to the local lake as mentioned above.

If the average Joe goes to his dealer (let's say I own a dealer), why would i tell him his truck has a range of 500 miles at best and if he tows his travel trailer his range will plummet to half or less. He'll also have to disconnect and drop the trailer to charge every 175 miles. Along with that it will take at least an hour or more to charge to 80%. He'll have second, third and fourth thoughts about buying an EV truck to tow. So to fix that, I won't mention those issues in the sales pitch/conversation.
I think there's a disconnect between the point I was trying to make and your reply. What I'm saying is that most people who tow aren't doing so for any extremely long distances. We have a guy in here right now who said the 250 miles initial plus one stop for an extra hour works enough for him and where he goes in a day with his trailer to replace his Tundra. There are lots of people like that.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Hah hah, the Ram 1500 REV forum linked in the original post only has 6 comments on this announcement. WE have to talk about it 10 times as much (so far).
And half of those commenters are commenters here 🤣

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I think there's a disconnect between the point I was trying to make and your reply. What I'm saying is that most people who tow aren't doing so for any extremely long distances. We have a guy in here right now who said the 250 miles initial plus one stop for an extra hour works enough for him and where he goes in a day with his trailer to replace his Tundra. There are lots of people like that.
I agree that makes sense for some. EV's can't be used as regular towing rigs, the occasional but short distance tow will work for some but might not work for others.

But anyone with an Airstream size travel trailer will have to think long and hard about this. They also need to understand the limits. To complicate things further navigating a parking lot with trailer is not a lot of fun either.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I tow a 3000lb boat/trailer 150 miles regularly. Range anxiety has me so stressed I cancelled my R1T reservation to wait for battery/charging tech to improve.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Design is weak. Front end looks like a Charger sedan. Rear looks like a Lightning. Boring.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
So I have a 5000lb trailer and travel with it throughout the year. End of last summer I did four trips to make sure I'd be comfortable giving up my tow vehicle and then depending entirely on the R1T and its range.
I was very surprised at how well the R1T did. The range was chopped in half. It required planning etc.
I ended up selling my tow vehicle and rely on the R1T. My limit on towing depends on destination and how many times I want to charge.
I agree with the poster talking about a 300 mile or less range of towing considering the state of the charging network as a sweet spot.

I ain't going Seattle to Colorado Springs towing my trailer, traipsing through the lower part of Idaho or cruising from Greely north through to Buffalo Wyoming.
If you had an enclosed trailer and short distances, or used it sporadically, the R1T is no problem. Long distances suck and you have to modify things.

Even if this RAM has 500 miles of range, it may have half of that towing a trailer and given the current state of batteries, take forever to charge. I think they will get there, just not quite yet. Too Soon.

Range anxiety can be overcome. It ain't that bad. What is bad is $5 a gallon gas. I seem have forgotten how to handle myself in a gas station. I think it went something like this...bend over buddy...[handing over the wallet].
I completely get what you’re saying but the charging network in eastern NC sucks. Plus, the wife would be pissed if I had to stop every trip to charge when my 4Runner can do it in half a tank. The range estimate of the Ram, if real, would be fantastic for people that use their trucks for truck things

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
It doesn’t seem equivalently efficient, assuming stated range estimated same way as for Rivian:

R1T 134 kWh battery, 350 mile range in conserve. 835HP, 908 ft-lbs torque.
Ram base battery 168 kWh (?), 350 mile range. 654HP, 620 ft-lbs torque. +~25% battery for same range with less power.
Ram big battery 229 kWh, 500 mile range. 71% more battery for 43% more range with less power.
Proportionately, R1T would need 191 kWh battery for 500 mile range.

I know 350 miles of range is hard to realize in practice; just assuming both are doing the same optimistic math.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs