Sponsored

Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it?

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Just curious if anyone is using the under mirror tap to hard ware into constant power for a Blackvue or other dashcam? Thanks
Sponsored

Mjsolomon

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does anybody know what we are tapping into? its not the front camera

HarisonAltDelete

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine works but I haven’t checked to see if it actually powers down that circuit. I have my detector set to power down if not in motion. I’ll check to see if the M1 DashCam shuts down next time I get a chance.

I also ditched the suction cup mount after it failed(first time that has happened to me with this style). I took a dremel to the mount. I cut a couple of slots in the plastic shroud and was able to pass the mount through the slots. The end result looks great. My only issue that I need to fix is that I now have a rattle coming from inside the shroud.

25958195-1997-4889-9533-443E6A7DDD73.jpeg

What mount did you use for this? Any more photos of the install, this is exactly what I'm looking for

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Unfortunately I don't have pics. After my suction cup mount failed several times I took a dremel to it. I basically cut the mount down to as small as possible. I then cut two small slots in the plastic cover and passed the mount through the cover.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Where I live, Washington, it is illegal to attach things to the windshield.
Not quite:
Washington State Legislature Section 46.37. 410 states that no person can operate a motor vehicle with any nontransparent material (including signs and posters) on the front windshield that obstructs the driver's clear view of the road

In fact "Good to Go!" passes for HOV and HOT lanes MUST be mounted on the windshield.

Sponsored

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just finished my install using the wire tap and the mount that uses 3M tape. Worked in my S6 so it should work here.
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 824E0012-ED84-4CC7-9078-47C059D487D9

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Mine is not powering off. I waited 20 minutes and approached without my phone or key. Gear guard is on but only records when away from home. I’ll try toggling it off and then on and see what happens.

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This morning it was finally off. I'll have to check it at work tomorrow, unplugged and with gear guard on. I'll report back.

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Too even if you have gear guard off. If you have your phone on you may turn things on. You may not be doing this. Just something to consider

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Tested it again tonight and it finally turned off after over 2 hours. Possibly it has to go into sleep mode before the 12v accessory power turns off?

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Just finished my install using the wire tap and the mount that uses 3M tape. Worked in my S6 so it should work here.
824E0012-ED84-4CC7-9078-47C059D487D9.jpeg
is it easy to open up the cover on the R1s?

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
is it easy to open up the cover on the R1s?
It took just a little more force than what I was comfortable with.

ACMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GR Supra, 2023 Rivian R1T
If the the detector does not power off, can it potentially drain the 12v batteries or is that mirror tap powered from the pack? Confused about when and how the 12v batteries are bieng used or if the truck keeps them charged automatically when parked and locked?

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If the the detector does not power off, can it potentially drain the 12v batteries or is that mirror tap powered from the pack? Confused about when and how the 12v batteries are bieng used or if the truck keeps them charged automatically when parked and locked?
The detector does power off. I can't say exactly how long it takes for that to occur, but it eventually powers off.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
The detector does power off. I can't say exactly how long it takes for that to occur, but it eventually powers off.
+1 on this...I've checked it many times and it's off (also not sure how long it takes) as well as noticing the detector "boot-up" when the truck wakes up.
Sponsored