Sponsored

Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it?

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Also, looks like you’re running a dash cam. Did you run power to the 12v cigarette socket under the center console or tap the mirror for that as well? Thanks for the photos.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@litng , is the 12V there "ignition-switched", or is it always powered?

I'm also curious about which mount/bracket you're using.

litng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Also, looks like you’re running a dash cam. Did you run power to the 12v cigarette socket under the center console or tap the mirror for that as well? Thanks for the photos.
I ran it to the 12v under the dash. I didn't want to overload the circuit for the mirror, Plus the techs at Rivian said they are working on a dash cam app for an over the air update in the future.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Best way would be a fuse run thru trim. I'll be doing it first thing along with tint but I'm sure someone else will do it sooner.
Just don’t drive it into Virginia ;)

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Thanks for posting these details! I was just removing my radar setup from the X5 a few minutes ago and was wondering how this was going to work.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I'm in the DMV I run with it on always as I have a stealth model, the whole body is made of magnesium alloy.
It's a ticket if you're caught having it in the vehicle powered on. I have a few friends who've gotten them. Mostly from out of state.

Also, worth pointing out, most traffic officers in Arlington Co and Alexandria don't use radar. They use LiDar, which if your radar detector detects it, you're already caught.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Just don’t drive it into Virginia ;)
Oh yes, Virginia is for lovers...not detectors! I remember driving back and forth from college and seeing those signs 🤔

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I checked with blendmount to see if they were working on a Rivian specific mount for a V1.

blend.jpg
Booo. Hopefully someone figures something out. I have zero desire to rely on a sticky cup.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

It's fairly easy to run wire to the 12v socket in the center of the dash, just pushing the wire into the edge of the headliner and A-pillar, and then pulling off the under-wheel knee plastic. I did so for my dashcam and will do another for RD soon. It's worth a little extra effort to run accessories off the circuit the car expects unknown loads to be on.

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
I ran it to the 12v under the dash. I didn't want to overload the circuit for the mirror, Plus the techs at Rivian said they are working on a dash cam app for an over the air update in the future.
Are you sure the 12v under the dash is ignition on I ran a 12v cigarette plug with a led on it and it remained on even when the car is locked.
Sponsored