Sponsored

Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it?

ACMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GR Supra, 2023 Rivian R1T
If you do the math even if it is on continuously, the draw is so small that it wouldn’t put a ding in 12v capacity. It is drawing almost nothing.
It was my understanding that the 12v batteries that keep failing, are what powers the dash, lights, accessories, etc and not the main pack. The main pack charges the 12v batteries from what I have gathered. Does the truck keep the 12v charged even in sleep mode?
Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am in reference to strictly the 12v battery w no regard to charging from the pack. The draw is minuscule on the detector when running. It would probably take months to drain the battery with no help from the big battery.

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
I did the same. It twists on. Start about a third of a turn from straight(line up the three tabs) push hard against the windshield and turn. It took me a few tries but I got it back on.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this brief comment. My mirror fell off too and it wasn't obvious to me that it needed to twist onto the bolt that is on the windshield. My initial reaction was to press it onto the bold since the clips appeared to flex.

Had I not seen this comment, my process would have been vastly different.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I ordered this usb-c to phone jack cable from the stickerfab just to check it out. It works when plugged in to the center console usb ports but not the ports in the back of the headrests- maybe these have a different power output? The cord is about 2 feet too short for any reasonable use in a Rivian, but I was ordering to have just as a backup for a loaner truck without a cigarette adapter.
https://www.stickerfab.com/products...ne-uniden-radar-detector-power-cord-universal

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_2010

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_2009

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I installed my Uniden earlier this week using a pre-wired harness that taps the connector. The install is completely reversable and would leave no evidence the detector was ever installed.

I used 3M Dual Lock (clear plastic velcro like stuff used for FastPass, etc) on the windshield. There's already a wide cut-out in the front of the mirror panel that is more than adequate for bringing out the cable, but it seems like most are adding a hole near the mirror? Any particular reason for this? I think it's cleaner to bring the cable out the front, it's not really noticeable looking in the windshield.

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? radar_detector_rivian

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Any tips on removing the plastic cover to connect a wire tap? I tried pulling at the front cutout by hand as well as slipping trim removal tools in at the corners and pulling or levering. Tools bend without cover movement.

Mfurman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Any tips on removing the plastic cover to connect a wire tap? I tried pulling at the front cutout by hand as well as slipping trim removal tools in at the corners and pulling or levering. Tools bend without cover movement.

It has been a while since I did this, but I remember having to pull down very hard. Much harder than you'd think you'd have to.

Mfurman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
After seeing the poor built in dashcam quality I decided to install a regular dashcam. This meant relocating my radar detector.

I don't think anyone did this before and I thought it was kind of neat so here are the pics. So simple and works beautifully with my Uniden. The only button I hit on a regular basis is the mute which is on the side.

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? image0

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? image1 (1)

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? image2

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I just used these instructions again this morning for a hardwire. My new R1S is one without the underdash cigarette lighter plug, so on the two hour trip home from the delivery center I had to use the usb-C to telephone plug that is referenced in another thread. It worked, but I knew I had to hardwire immediately, which I did the morning of day two of ownership. Thanks again to all who have posted. It seemed a little more difficult this time to get the taps into the wire harness. But after some patience and some careful work with needlenose pliers all is good. Thanks to someone earlier in this thread for recommending the V1 app for iphone - definitely a game changer.
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_2271

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_2356

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_2476

Sponsored

jfphenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Oh hey, thanks for cross-posting my video from reddit :) Hopefully it helps somebody else who wants more than pictures.

Getting that mirror back on sucks, so try not to rip yours off. It sorta just came of when I pulled the last corner. I ended up swinging by the service center to get it re-attached, so all is well and I've got it all mounted and working now.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Oh hey, thanks for cross-posting my video from reddit :) Hopefully it helps somebody else who wants more than pictures.

Getting that mirror back on sucks, so try not to rip yours off. It sorta just came of when I pulled the last corner. I ended up swinging by the service center to get it re-attached, so all is well and I've got it all mounted and working now.
Finally, someone is doing video about this. Really appreciate it.

SpawnyWhippet

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 McLaren 570S, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I don't like the mirror option for my Uniden R3 as those could be ADAS sensor wires which were not expecting other traffic or specced for random additional loads, and I also wanted the remote mute switch under the dashboard by my knees.
I hardwired from the central 12V cigarette lighter socket, then ran the cables inside the dash, up the passenger A pillar trim then behind the roof liner. Took an hour from start to finish. I left enough coiled cable up by the mirror so I can relocate the unit to a mirror mount should one later become available.
I tapped into the positive and negative cables by peeling back a little insulation, wrapping the Uniden power cable around it and soldering them together. Sealed with heatshrink then automotive insulation tape. (I still need to replace the grey tape covering the wires to the remote mute switch, as it wrinkled when I put it on.)

The unit turns itself on when I open the door and powers itself down a minute after I lock the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 20230513_210934529_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 20230513_195611349_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 20230513_205445550_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 20230513_205839692_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 20230513_213800706_iOS

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

How difficult was it to remove this panel? My truck doesn't have this 12v and I'm wondering if the wiring still exists so I could add it back.
Sponsored