Sponsored

Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Have been foot dragging which is begging for a ticket.
Me too. I have an extra R3 that really needs to get installed. I would love to see a fuse tap solution, which worked well for me in the past and is easily reversible.
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
^Thanks RR. Can you please confirm that the 12V outlet is switched to the ignition and turns on and off with the vehicle? Cheers.

Have been foot dragging which is begging for a ticket.
Hey Moose…the 12v outlet is NOT tied to “ignition”. I have to manually turn detector off and on. So far it hasn’t been an issue but I would sure prefer it to be switched. Still better than having to chop into any wires and overall a pretty easy mod…

vetmann

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model YP, ZR1, Boxster, BMW
getting ready to do mine tomorrow right after delivery. looks like you pried up the bottom first looking at the "pins". correct. thanks for doing this

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks to OP and all for the help on this thread. I just installed the tap and hooked up my Valentine 1 with no issues, the full process took about 15 minutes, following advice and photos posted in this thread.
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_8217
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_8222
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_8225
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_8229
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_8231
Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? IMG_8233

Notes and feedback - I just pulled on the bottom (windshield) side of the plastic piece with gentle force until it popped out on the bottom, then slowly worked out the top two clips. Two of the metal clips stayed on, two came off. I pulled the two remaining metal clips out of the holes and replaced on the plastic piece. I didn't bother with a dry fit, this thing can only really go on one way. I pulled off the trim piece that goes along the mirror stem and reinstalled that piece after reinstalling the larger piece. I used the recommended tap wire kit off amazon, with the smallest of the three prong sizes. After installing the prongs by hand I used one of the zip ties to secure the plug and the new wires to some of the existing wrapped wires in this area. I like the suction mount of the Valentine 1, I just routed the wire over to the side along the top of the trim piece. This routing was easy to do after installing the main plastic cover and before reinstalling the piece above the mirror stem. I don't know yet if this will power off when the car sleeps or stay on. I tend to put the detector away when I'm parked for long periods (airports, etc.) so that doesn't concern me. I'll try to monitor the detector for power use and I'll post any updates. Anyone with a Valentine knows that unique startup sound, I imagine I'll be able to hear it if the device comes off and on with Gear Guard or otherwise...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082V1245P

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

After monitoring this for a day, I can confirm that the radar detector is switching off. Maybe not all the time, but definitely some of the time!!

Sponsored

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
I use an independent dealership (Gator Motorsports which is a Lotus dealership) for all of our service needs. Asked them to do the V1 hardwire. Works great. Unfortunately, I am receiving notifications that the automatic high beams and one of the interactive cruise control functions are not working. Suspect an issue with one of the cameras. Anyone else experience similar issues after the hardwire? Might need to just be reset(?) at the service center or mobile service van.

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I use an independent dealership (Gator Motorsports which is a Lotus dealership) for all of our service needs. Asked them to do the V1 hardwire. Works great. Unfortunately, I am receiving notifications that the automatic high beams and one of the interactive cruise control functions are not working. Suspect an issue with one of the cameras. Anyone else experience similar issues after the hardwire? Might need to just be reset(?) at the service center or mobile service van.
I didn’t have the above issue. That being said, to reset hold the emergency button on the top center and the left hand left most button on the steering wheel for 15 seconds to initiate. If that doesn’t work might have tapped into that circuit and throwing it off.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

No issues for me after the radar detector install using the method earlier in this thread. Still working great and shutting off when the vehicle sleeps.

carcrazydoc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 991.2 GTS, 2018 E63s wagon, 2016 Cayenne GTS
Occupation
emergency physician
Appreciate the recommendation. After charging overnight, everything appears to have reset and no issues today - ? Works for me:)

John B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
Thanks to OP and all for the help on this thread. I just installed the tap and hooked up my Valentine 1 with no issues, the full process took about 15 minutes, following advice and photos posted in this thread.
IMG_8217.jpg
IMG_8222.jpg
IMG_8225.jpg
IMG_8229.jpg
IMG_8231.jpg
IMG_8233.jpg

Notes and feedback - I just pulled on the bottom (windshield) side of the plastic piece with gentle force until it popped out on the bottom, then slowly worked out the top two clips. Two of the metal clips stayed on, two came off. I pulled the two remaining metal clips out of the holes and replaced on the plastic piece. I didn't bother with a dry fit, this thing can only really go on one way. I pulled off the trim piece that goes along the mirror stem and reinstalled that piece after reinstalling the larger piece. I used the recommended tap wire kit off amazon, with the smallest of the three prong sizes. After installing the prongs by hand I used one of the zip ties to secure the plug and the new wires to some of the existing wrapped wires in this area. I like the suction mount of the Valentine 1, I just routed the wire over to the side along the top of the trim piece. This routing was easy to do after installing the main plastic cover and before reinstalling the piece above the mirror stem. I don't know yet if this will power off when the car sleeps or stay on. I tend to put the detector away when I'm parked for long periods (airports, etc.) so that doesn't concern me. I'll try to monitor the detector for power use and I'll post any updates. Anyone with a Valentine knows that unique startup sound, I imagine I'll be able to hear it if the device comes off and on with Gear Guard or otherwise...

Appreciate the recommendation. After charging overnight, everything appears to have reset and no issues today - ? Works for me:)

I just did this as well, but unfortunately my mirror came off with the large panel. It seems it was held i

Be very careful!!!
I just tried the same install, using the pin kit from Amazon recommended. The large panel was pretty difficult to get off. I was also using plastic trim removal tools. I had the two bottom clips lose and the upper right one, but the upper left was very difficult. Ultimately, it let go but unfortunately the mirror came off with it. It seems that it was only held on with some type of black glue. Does anyone know what that is?

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? 7FBC6431-32E5-49CE-8A46-E29CDD44E7A0

Rivian R1T R1S Radar Detector hard wire, who has done it? DB66C9CC-5441-4EAA-81F9-AA4ABC642D31

Sponsored

John B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
Be very careful!!!
I just tried the same install, using the pin kit from Amazon recommended. The large panel was pretty difficult to get off. I was also using plastic trim removal tools. I had the two bottom clips lose and the upper right one, but the upper left was very difficult. Ultimately, it let go but unfortunately the mirror came off with it. It seems that it was only held on with some type of black glue. Does anyone know what that is?

7FBC6431-32E5-49CE-8A46-E29CDD44E7A0.jpeg

DB66C9CC-5441-4EAA-81F9-AA4ABC642D31.jpeg
Bad News:
That is a chunk of the windshield glass that came off with the mirror.

Good News:
I disassembled the mirror and glued the round silver metal piece with the broken glass chunk bonded to it back in place with a Permatex Mirror bonding kit. It clicked right into place. I’m going to let the bond set overnight before I hang the mirror on it.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ouch...that sucks but sounds like you're on the road to recovery. As long as it holds, no one but you will ever know of the difficulty...

BTW...what mount did you choose for your detector? I couldn't find one that would work with the mirror stem - too narrow. Best of luck!

John B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
Phew!! The fix worked. It’s as good as new. I’m using the suction cup mount that came with my Passport Max 360. I clean the suction cup and windshield with isopropyl alcohol before mounting and it sticks fine.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Phew!! The fix worked. It’s as good as new. I’m using the suction cup mount that came with my Passport Max 360. I clean the suction cup and windshield with isopropyl alcohol before mounting and it sticks fine.
I too am using that same suction cup mount but I haven't found a way to keep it from falling off in extreme hot or cold temps. Right now it's mounted low with my detector sitting on the dash for support.

Glad you fixed your mirror issue...not fun I bet...

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Just curious if anyone is using the under mirror tap to hard ware into constant power for a Blackvue or other dashcam? Thanks
Sponsored