Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

if i were an R1S owner and i didnt need the 3rd row i would be kicking myself right about now.

based on what was revealed today, if Rivian can hit that price, performance and feature set its a better vehicle for 90-95% of customers. 90-95% of people do not do serious offroading so the 4 motors and air suspension is overkill. half the price, similar 0-60, similar range, and awesome improvements: steering wheel, rear drop window, rear side window popouts, 2 glove boxes, native NACS compatibility, the full flat seats, did i mention the steering wheel?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Didn't RJ say all versions will have 300+ though?
He actually said all configurations when talking about 1,2 or 3 motor builds. You can probably get the single motor with a larger (or different chemistry) battery putting it over 300 as well.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

if i were an R1S owner and i didnt need the 3rd row i would be kicking myself right about now.

based on what was revealed today, if Rivian can hit that price, performance and feature set its a better vehicle for 90-95% of customers. 90-95% of people do not do serious offroading so the 4 motors and air suspension is overkill. half the price, similar 0-60, similar range, and awesome improvements: steering wheel, rear drop window, rear side window popouts, 2 glove boxes, native NACS compatibility, the full flat seats, did i mention the steering wheel?
I would pick a used R1 quad motor over the tri motor R2. I also like not having to wait 2 years to experience a Rivian.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I hear what you are saying but here is my take. After the $7500 tax credit I just received my R1S was $71,500. By the time I configure the R2 it will probably be close to 60k (pure guess) so let’s call it 52.5k.

I will have had the R1S for at least 3 years before getting the R2 and plan on keeping it.

Now if they were both available when I purchased the R1S that may have been a completely different conversation. I will say that extra room in the R1S when traveling with the pups means if they are both in the driveway trips would most likely be in the R1S.

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

No, not necessarily. The R2 is 2+ years away right now. Everyone predicted along time ago that the R2 will be a 5-seater, so it’s not like a huge surprise. Sure, it costs a lot less than the R1, but it’s also less capable and currently not available for delivery.

However, there are plenty of alternative 5 seater EVs available right now. So, if people bought the R1S and didn’t need a 3-row SUV, they had many options, but still chose the R1S because it fit some particular need/lifestyle. I don’t think many will regret that decision.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Anyone notice the light bar is slimmer on both R2 and R3? It's also got dimension and details, not just a flat wall. Kind of jealous.

Rivian R1T R1S R2 Price, Specs, Dimensions leaked!! $47500, 0-60 3 sec, 330 miles range Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 5.10.56 PM

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
...They should start producing R2's immediately at the Normal Plant. I don't think that they can wait for for the Georgia Plant.
Fortunately announced during the reveal event that yes, one shift in the Normal factory will be used to start R2 production with the goal to start deliveries "early 2026."

$RIVN will benefit from this implementation.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
No rear wiper is going to be a major pain in the ass.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT

If the R2 is half the price the it is the likely 6 second RWD version against the quad 3 second R1S. So not comparable acceleration.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

they could still add it, this is a prototype. if i had to guess, it looks like theyve designed the spoiler to direct wind down into the rear window so that could help clear with rain/water. wont do much with mud/dirt.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
they could still add it, this is a prototype. if i had to guess, it looks like theyve designed the spoiler to direct wind down into the rear window so that could help clear with rain/water. wont do much with mud/dirt.
Hyundai tried that with the Ioniq 5 and it was a total failure.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

If the R2 is half the price the it is the likely 6 second RWD version against the quad 3 second R1S. So not comparable acceleration.
true not exactly half but could be $25-30k cheaper (if we guess the tri motor R2 is ~$62-67k)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Hyundai tried that with the Ioniq 5 and it was a total failure.
Yeah but profitability is #1 or Rivian goes bankrupt. Rear wiper, or they fail to survive as a company?

I am not saying the rear wiper will destroy the company, but every little thing that adds cost at minimal value will make it even harder for them. I want them to adopt the Tesla minimalist approach, so that they can actually make a profit on every vehicle and survive to create more and more awesome products.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I didn't see a camera mirror in the R2, but it works pretty decently on my Fisker. The rear window will get completely covered in road salt stuff but the camera has still been mostly usable. The actual backup camera still suffers like the one on my R1T though. At least it's very quick to wipe the camera off vs cleaning the back window.
Sponsored