R1T Won’t Stop Running At Home

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Curious if anyone else has had this issue. I’ve got proximity disabled at home and park it a garage. Once I get home for the day, I’ll plug it in to charge for the night and walk away. Sometimes I’ll come back like an hour later only to find the fans still running and the AC still running on the truck with the screens still on and functioning like I was about to drive it. It isn’t all the time, but it’s enough to be annoying. I don’t want to lock the truck in my garage because I’ll sometimes go out to grab something and I don’t want to have to fumble with getting my phone to unlock it.

Is this just an issue with mine or have others had this issue?
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Do you leave anything on the seat? Or have a seat belt buckled in? The car will stay on if there is any weight in a front seat.

OP
OP

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Do you leave anything on the seat? Or have a seat belt buckled in? The car will stay on if there is any weight in a front seat.
Negative, nothing In either front seats nor are the seats buckeled. Only thing in any of the seats is my daughters booster seat in the back.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

Mine will continue to run for 10-15 minutes; I assume it’s continuing to cool the batteries before shutting off. The screens and such are off though, and just the fans on.

I’m in 180-million degree Phoenix, so I’m not surprised the fans continue to run a bit.

Sponsored

Njbauma

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, I have the same issue occasionally. I lock the truck after arriving home but it will remain in a ready state. Lights on, screens on, audio on. I have had it stay in this state for multiple hours. The only real workaround when it happens it to drive it for a few minutes. It then seems to fix itself after a bit. That was what support recommended. I do have a service ticket open on it, but no recent updates. I would say it has had this issue 10-15 time over the course of a few months.

ras2247

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, I had the same issue. My issue was the pedal wasn't fully disengaging and causing the car to keep awake. The way to know if this is the same issue I was having was that sometimes the car wouldn't go to hold position when at a stand still. I would have to use the brake pedal to stop the vehicle from moving.

The workaround was pulling the pedal up. I usually was using my foot to do this and then the car would go to hold. The other workaround was that when I parked the vehicle wedge something under the pedal to push it up.

They eventually replaced my pedal and all good now.

OP
OP

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I had the same issue. My issue was the pedal wasn't fully disengaging and causing the car to keep awake. The way to know if this is the same issue I was having was that sometimes the car wouldn't go to hold position when at a stand still. I would have to use the brake pedal to stop the vehicle from moving.

The workaround was pulling the pedal up. I usually was using my foot to do this and then the car would go to hold. The other workaround was that when I parked the vehicle wedge something under the pedal to push it up.

They eventually replaced my pedal and all good now.
That must be it because I’m having that exact pedal issue and have a service scheduled for 2 weeks from now for it. Hopefully they’ll replace my pedal too.
Makes me feel better knowing there’s an explanation for it.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
That must be it because I’m having that exact pedal issue and have a service scheduled for 2 weeks from now for it. Hopefully they’ll replace my pedal too.
Makes me feel better knowing there’s an explanation for it.
My truck is doing the same. It won't shut off. Restarted it numerous times, checked all the setting, reset all buttons related to AC and lights and security, etc. Shutting off the climate control manually helps with battery drain, but still humming all night and all lights are on inside. My pedal is solidly up and vehicle holds fine. It would appear the seat sensor thinks I am sitting in the seat.

I have been turning all lights and displays as low or off as the truck will allow and the climate control to off at night and put the vehicle in shipping mode until my service appointment next week. The truck has been great for 6 weeks. First problem I have had except for Driver +.

I will update post after appointment October 21st.

Greg1246

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had this issue after my toddler played around in the car. He set off a weight sensor on the front passenger seat but it didn’t disengage when he left the seat. I fixed the problem by sitting in each seat and put the seatbelt on/off. I didn’t do anything with the child seats in the back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My truck is doing the same. It won't shut off. Restarted it numerous times, checked all the setting, reset all buttons related to AC and lights and security, etc. Shutting off the climate control manually helps with battery drain, but still humming all night and all lights are on inside. My pedal is solidly up and vehicle holds fine. It would appear the seat sensor thinks I am sitting in the seat.

I have been turning all lights and displays as low or off as the truck will allow and the climate control to off at night and put the vehicle in shipping mode until my service appointment next week. The truck has been great for 6 weeks. First problem I have had except for Driver +.

I will update post after appointment October 21st.
Mine turned out to be a faulty pedal, the pedal wouldn’t go all the way up so the truck would never turn off. Service Center replaced the pedal and it fixed it.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Finally took my R1T to the Houston service center for trouble with the truck not hibernating. While there I had them look at a piece of trim that was coming loose on the door and the hood shaking at high speed.

Turned out my seat sensor was malfunctioning and the vehicle thought I was in the truck when I was not. Would not hibernate. They had to order an entire new seat. I was given a loner and was kept up to date regularly over the next few days.

They said they adjusted the hood latch and bumpers and replaced the trim. An employee drove to my house with my repaired truck and picked up the loaner.

Overall it went very well. Nice people and quick service. They checked my bolt involved in the recall and mine were not affected.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Finally took my R1T to the Houston service center for trouble with the truck not hibernating. While there I had them look at a piece of trim that was coming loose on the door and the hood shaking at high speed.

Turned out my seat sensor was malfunctioning and the vehicle thought I was in the truck when I was not. Would not hibernate. They had to order an entire new seat. I was given a loner and was kept up to date regularly over the next few days.

They said they adjusted the hood latch and bumpers and replaced the trim. An employee drove to my house with my repaired truck and picked up the loaner.

Overall it went very well. Nice people and quick service. They checked my bolt involved in the recall and mine were not affected.
So the truck is not hibernating again. A/C and internal lights and displays stay on continuously. Only solution I can find is to put it in Ship/Transport and plug it in. I also have to turn of bluetooth, wifi, and gear guard. Not sure which is keeping the truck awake. I suspect bluetooth. Had to forget my iPhone for now. Working with service to get it back to Houston.......

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Finally have an answer as to why the truck would not hibernate. It is very embarrassing, so go easy on me....
I purchased a 3 inch seat belt extender to raise the very low seat belt latch up a bit. I have a torn and repaired rotator cuff so it was hard to reach. After much time, trial and error, the SEAT BELT EXTENDER WAS THE PROBLEM!! It told the computer that someone was in the seat!! Once I removed it, the truck behaves normally! :headbang::lipssealed:

So don't use a seat belt extender! Sorry to waste everyones time. At least we all get to learn something from the endeavor. I am glad Rivian didn't charge me....

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Finally have an answer as to why the truck would not hibernate. It is very embarrassing, so go easy on me....
I purchased a 3 inch seat belt extender to raise the very low seat belt latch up a bit. I have a torn and repaired rotator cuff so it was hard to reach. After much time, trial and error, the SEAT BELT EXTENDER WAS THE PROBLEM!! It told the computer that someone was in the seat!! Once I removed it, the truck behaves normally! :headbang::lipssealed:

So don't use a seat belt extender! Sorry to waste everyones time. At least we all get to learn something from the endeavor. I am glad Rivian didn't charge me....
Thanks for the update!
Sponsored