First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Perhaps I need to be more specific about the meaning of “in a pinch”. If I had to run a few errands (in dry as f*ck CO) and I had some things I wanted to leave in the bed between stops that I didn’t want everyone on the planet to have access to = “in a pinch”

The power tonneau isn’t considered “waterproof” either.
Nothing in the market is waterproof (panels covered) but the powered cover is water resistant enough to protect the stuff inside from the rain, unless you power wash it at the slots.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
LOL, even if it can be done, it's not that simple of a task of sliding a 5-foot sheet of plywood into the slots. If you cut it into sections, then you'd have to cover the butt joints with another cover or otherwise it becomes useless.
have you never heard of SHIPLAP?

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
have you never heard of SHIPLAP?
Similar thing I referred to, just didn't want to mention all the rest! As a writing instrument, a pen or a pencil will do.

Last edited:

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I’m inclined to not order any tonneau and count on the aftermarket. I have a cheap ($200) soft rollup tonneau on my current truck and its versatility and effectiveness are great. I wish Rivian would allow access to the volume reserved for the retracted tonneau, so it could be used for storage: maybe tie-down, bungees etc.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Strong disagree. Anyone can pick their options online. It isn't hard. I don't need a guide to upsell me on any options. I could go to a dealer for that.
Hmmmm.... I think someone at least should have mentioned it, as it is an option that was pretty widely known as "not available". I agree that people should be checking their config though.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Since the guides don’t even enter the process (for most people) until right before the final steps of purchase, I can’t say I would expect them to play a role in verifying my configuration. Maybe it would be a different story if we all didn’t have total freedom to log in and out of our accounts making infinite changes, but we do.

Is there no “finalize your configuration” email or call from Rivian? Even if not I think it’s still on us to make sure it’s set how we want it. Especially if you think your turn is coming soon.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Strong disagree. Anyone can pick their options online. It isn't hard. I don't need a guide to upsell me on any options. I could go to a dealer for that.
They’re called Guides. Why would they not guide their customers?
There should have been a prompt on the configurator or other reminder to select a tonneau option from the three possibilities.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

They’re called Guides. Why would they not guide their customers?
There should have been a prompt on the configurator or other reminder to select a tonneau option from the three possibilities.
I thought everyone could log into the website at anytime and check their configuration before it was locked? Should there also be prompts if someone doesn’t select a spare tire? Or skips cargo cross bars?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I can’t remember which video, but I was watching a YouTube first drive of a R1T about a month ago and the reviewer said the drive guide told them the manual tonneau would be a top foldable type nothing like the current automatic version. I’m imagining something like the image attached. For this price of vehicle I personally want a (working) auto version and would not want a folding manual as it will detract from the streamlined look of the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Without Tonneau Option Delivered 1665347942799

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I can’t remember which video, but I was watching a YouTube first drive of a R1T about a month ago and the reviewer said the drive guide told them the manual tonneau would be the foldable type nothing like the current automatic version. I’m imagining something like the image attached. For this price of vehicle I personally want a (working) auto version and would not want a folding manual as it will detract from the streamlined look of the truck.

1665347942799.jpeg
I think they've said it will be 3 or 4 pieces that can also be stored in the gear tunnel when not needed. Some people have suggested they should also double as a camp table.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I can’t remember which video, but I was watching a YouTube first drive of a R1T about a month ago and the reviewer said the drive guide told them the manual tonneau would be a top foldable type nothing like the current automatic version. I’m imagining something like the image attached. For this price of vehicle I personally want a (working) auto version and would not want a folding manual as it will detract from the streamlined look of the truck.

1665347942799.jpeg
There's no way to get something into the tracks the way the current one is. Maybe it's just a single piece that is different at the end of the tracks. Personally if I had a manual one, I'd want a single full panel that's on a hinge at the back of the cab.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought everyone could log into the website at anytime and check their configuration before it was locked? Should there also be prompts if someone doesn’t select a spare tire? Or skips cargo cross bars?
A spare tire was never an item included in adventure/launch edition.

power tonneau was. Despite it being mentioned in the second paragraph of the March first email, it wouldn’t hurt for there to be some sort of “choose between manual, powered, or no tonneau cover to proceed.“, to make it clear that this previously included item is selectable and the default is none.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's no way to get something into the tracks the way the current one is. Maybe it's just a single piece that is different at the end of the tracks. Personally if I had a manual one, I'd want a single full panel that's on a hinge at the back of the cab.
The manual one will be four panels that slide into the slots on the sides from the tailgate end. Wether or not they’re connected panels is unclear. From this truck with no cover, it looks like a manual one could be added Since the slots are there.

having used trucks with one piece hinged tonneaus, I’d definitely not want that.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We do not really want the tonneau cover. We included it to get a truck. If this is the new trend, I will remove it.

Brian

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
The manual one will be four panels that slide into the slots on the sides from the tailgate end. Wether or not they’re connected panels is unclear. From this truck with no cover, it looks like a manual one could be added Since the slots are there.

having used trucks with one piece hinged tonneaus, I’d definitely not want that.
Agreed. The one-piece covers are okay right up until they are completely in the way and unmanageable. A dozen years owning an Avalanche proved there was great flexibility with the separate panel approach. The folding covers are similar in that regard.
Sponsored