First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Range Rover
Occupation
Executive
R1T delivered last week. Was unable to ‘see’ any of my home WiFi mesh hotspots. Installed my wall charger this week, encountered the same issue.

Tried to no avail:
- restarting router, mesh points
- renaming the nearest hotspot to avoid special characters, spaces, etc
- turning off 5GHz band so that only 2.4GHz was available
- factory resetting nearest mesh hotspot

When I reset the hotspot it became visible to the R1T, but upon adding the hotspot to my network it disappeared.

Like most WIFi devices, the hotspot defaulted to a 192.168.1.x IP address and while it was it was visible to the R1T. As a security measure my home network is set to an alternative IP range. This has never been a problem for any of the client devices I’ve set up over the years.

Amazingly, $100k worth of Rivian gear seem to be incapable of connecting to a network that $3 IOT wall plugs do along with 47 other clients.

Anyone out there have a suggestion or workaround other than dumbing down my home network?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
@timesinks I think it was had an issue with a comma in their passkey…

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
@timesinks I think it was had an issue with a comma in their passkey…
It was actually a single-quote ('), tyvm. The on-screen keyboard really wanted to autocorrect it to the directional character (). :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this does not sound like the problem @Scojo1969 is having.

For reasons having nothing to do with perceptions of security and everything to do with being a network engineer, my home network also does not use either 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 (I use a /24 out of 10.1.0.0/16). I have 4 APs that are all hardwired together and bridging to a layer 2 POE switch, and a separate "router"/NAT-gateway-device also connected to the switch. For completeness, it's all dual stack ipv4/ipv6. 🤓

That is to say while I can't speak to your issues with the wall charger, I can definitively say the R1T works fine with, er, complex home networks. And, FWIW, my network name has an apostrophe and a space. The same SSID is shared for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. And, as I mentioned, I use an offbeat portion of the available RFC1918 address space. The only issue I actually had was typing the non-directional apostrophe from my passcode in using the vehicle screen (I also immediately knew what was up after similar issues with our smart heat pump thermostat. If you haven't gathered by now, I really like setting myself up for intellectually stimulating troubleshooting.......).

@Scojo1969 are you perhaps not broadcasting the SSID? If your passcode has anything that might possibly be a special ascii character that could be autocorrected to some weird Unicode variant, have you considered this workaround? Do you have a goat available you could try sacrificing? You know... the usual stuff.

Beanejar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - CY/OC
Glad to hear of success with complex networks, thanks for your insight @timesinks. Was getting a bit concerned having to rework the network to accommodate the Rivian charger with some of the other challenges in the posts.

Like others…hoping to have real experience soon.

OP
OP

Scojo1969

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Range Rover
Occupation
Executive
It was actually a single-quote ('), tyvm. The on-screen keyboard really wanted to autocorrect it to the directional character (). :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this does not sound like the problem @Scojo1969 is having.

For reasons having nothing to do with perceptions of security and everything to do with being a network engineer, my home network also does not use either 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 (I use a /24 out of 10.1.0.0/16). I have 4 APs that are all hardwired together and bridging to a layer 2 POE switch, and a separate "router"/NAT-gateway-device also connected to the switch. For completeness, it's all dual stack ipv4/ipv6. 🤓

That is to say while I can't speak to your issues with the wall charger, I can definitively say the R1T works fine with, er, complex home networks. And, FWIW, my network name has an apostrophe and a space. The same SSID is shared for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. And, as I mentioned, I use an offbeat portion of the available RFC1918 address space. The only issue I actually had was typing the non-directional apostrophe from my passcode in using the vehicle screen (I also immediately knew what was up after similar issues with our smart heat pump thermostat. If you haven't gathered by now, I really like setting myself up for intellectually stimulating troubleshooting.......).

@Scojo1969 are you perhaps not broadcasting the SSID? If your passcode has anything that might possibly be a special ascii character that could be autocorrected to some weird Unicode variant, have you considered this workaround? Do you have a goat available you could try sacrificing? You know... the usual stuff.
Wow- I’ve nothing near that level of complexity in my network. I’m convinced that the issue has nothing to the name, as the default hotspot SSID is recognized by the truck prior to being assigned a local IP by my router. As soon as the hotspot IP address changed from its default 192.168.1.x address to the one my network uses it “disappeared” from the available WiFi networks seen by the truck.

I’ve seen this before. The Roku iOS app fails to connect to the home network because it isn’t in the 192* IP range, displaying an error message saying that it only works with the 192* IP address range.

if you have a goat available lmk!

Sponsored

AmerikanMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Executive
Did anyone ever figure this one out? My wall charger will not connect to my wifi router/mesh system either. Ugh…….

any ideas?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Did anyone ever figure this one out? My wall charger will not connect to my wifi router/mesh system either. Ugh…….

any ideas?
Can you not see the SSID? Does the SSID or password have spaces or special characters? I do not have the charger but people were reporting that there were issues with some spaces or characters. I thought there was an update for the charger to address some of the connectivity issues but you would need to get connected to get the update.

You might want to make sure you have a 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi setup, could be issues if it is only 5 ghz.

If you can provide more details for any errors or specifics on the issue, I’m sure someone on here will have a resolution.
Sponsored