Sponsored

R1T vs R1S cargo area - how do you plan on utilizing it? Pros vs Cons?

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I know there are a few of you out there, myself included, contemplating which one to order - R1T or R1S. One of the things I’m mulling over is the cargo area of each. So what do we know or can infer at this point about each cargo area?

R1T
  • Bed dimensions: Width: 54.5”, Length (gate up / down): 55” / 82.7”
  • No height restrictions (within reason)
  • Can be covered (standard? Tonneau?)
  • Two optional caps (assuming the swappable bed configurations will be available at launch)
  • Load/unload - Liftgate which can articulate 180 degrees.
  • Quick release rails can go across bed rails, within the bed itself, and across cabin roof
  • Locking cable near rear of bed
R1S
  • Interior dimensions: Not known but overall cargo length clearly longer than R1T when 2nd/3rd row seats folded down
  • Covered and secure since part of the cabin
  • Height restricted
  • Load/unload - I believe it’s a combo liftgate and hatch (not sure if liftgate has the same articulation as on R1T)
  • Additional cargo room across roof with quick release rails (suspect weight a factor with glass roof but not known yet)
Given that, thought it would be interesting to see how people plan on primarily utilizing the cargo area(s) of their EAV of choice. In other words, you prefer the R1T| R1S because … For example -
  • R1S to transport bicycles on roof … or in the cabin to keep dry, more secure, no height worries … or …
  • R1T bed to transport off-road dirt bikes. R1T would be the only option.
  • Mostly camping gear so either EAV will work … or … prefer R1T to put tent across truck bed side rails
  • Your cargo is mostly people so preference is with the R1S and 3rd row seating
  • ???
Basically, what do you plan on hauling around and does it play a part in your choice of which EAV, and if so, why?
Sponsored

Last edited:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

For the sake of your post, there are 2 crossbar mounts on the roof of the R1T. Similar to the R1S, there are crossbar attach points every 36 inches. To answer your question...My wife currently drives a 2017.5 Nissan Murano, so we have the CUV covered for now until we upgrade to possibly and R1S in a few years. I used my previous truck, a 2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4X, for transporting our kayaks to and from our favorite fishing spots. I know for us the added secure storage will be awesome when it comes to securing coolers, tackle, fishing rods and even our kayaks depending on how long the bed cable system is.

snomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XV Crosstrek
I've been giving this some thought as well. Either vehicle has plenty of storage for my needs (dogs, camping gear, inflatable SUP, and mountain bike). Hell, I bet the R1S even has enough space with the seats down for the rare large piece of furniture haul off craiglist.

I think for me it comes down to if I want/need the covered space of the R1S. Honestly, I probably won't know until I take a test drive and lay the seats flat to see if I can sleep in the back.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Want an SUV for carpool duties and taking the kids. camping. R1S fits the bill with 7 seats and solid range. As cool as it was the R1T wasn’t even a consideration.

A Model X could probably work, but really want something off-road worthy in the event we go down that path :)

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
there are 2 crossbar mounts on the roof of the R1T
Thanks. I've update the OP.

I know for us the added secure storage will be awesome when it comes to securing coolers, tackle, fishing rods and even our kayaks depending on how long the bed cable system is.
Yea, like the idea of storing these types of items in secure areas. Question though. I'm assuming the above is in reference to the R1T since you mention the locking cable, and as such eliminates attaching/storing them on the cabin roof. Now I don't kayak but from a quick Google search the smallest kayak I could find is just over 6 feet long. Unless they make them smaller that's over 72" which is longer than R1T bed width (54.5") and length (55" gate up). Attaching them across the bed rails would not seem to be an option as they would overhang on both sides. So I'm guessing you would attach/store them length wise in bed with the gate down?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think for me it comes down to if I want/need the covered space of the R1S. Honestly, I probably won't know until I take a test drive and lay the seats flat to see if I can sleep in the back.
My exact thoughts / approach when the time comes.

Along those lines, I've been wondering if Rivian will provide a "camper mode" similar to Tesla's. I believe it works in a way that allows you to power the climate control system (perhaps other things like the info/entertainment system) but not the rest of the systems that require the battery. That way you can run the heat or A/C overnight with minimal drain on the battery. Sleeping on the R1T back row seat is certainly doable (for one) but wouldn't be as comfortable in the cargo area of the R1S w/ 2nd row seats down. In other words, even if you get the cap for the bed on the R1T, I doubt the climate control system would have any affect UNLESS the rear cabin window opens as some have asked/wished for.

Also, whether in camper mode or driving, since the enclosed cabin space in the R1T is less than the R1S, I would think there would be less drain on battery when running the climate control since there is less air space to condition. Perhaps the difference in battery usage is negligible, thus not an issue?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Yea, like the idea of storing these types of items in secure areas. Question though. I'm assuming the above is in reference to the R1T since you mention the locking cable, and as such eliminates attaching/storing them on the cabin roof. Now I don't kayak but from a quick Google search the smallest kayak I could find is just over 6 feet long. Unless they make them smaller that's over 72" which is longer than R1T bed width (54.5") and length (55" gate up). Attaching them across the bed rails would not seem to be an option as they would overhang on both sides. So I'm guessing you would attach/store them length wise in bed with the gate down?
Yes, with the tailgate down. There are quite a few companies that make extenders using the 2" hitch receiver that slow for supper over the length of the kayak. Then tie on your red steamer. There are 100 different ways to transport them though. Trailers allows for you to keep everything else in the bed and allows you to lock it up too.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Brian told me that there will be a set of taller rails for the bed that will be even with the shorter rails when installed on the roof. This gives you the ability to utilize four rails and the added length above the cab.

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Do we know whether or not the second row seats in the R1S fold flat? We have all been assuming this is the case, but I'm not so sure it is.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Brian told me that there will be a set of taller rails for the bed that will be even with the shorter rails when installed on the roof. This gives you the ability to utilize four rails and the added length above the cab.
@NitroCorey , I believe this is what you were asking about.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Do we know whether or not the second row seats in the R1S fold flat? We have all been assuming this is the case, but I'm not so sure it is.
Yes, this has been confirmed on multiple occasions. Sounds like they might not lie completely flat, but should be close.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT

I believe skyote when he posts... however, I have never seen firm confirmation that the second row of seats lay flat. I am truly hoping they do.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I am not really a truck guy. I want to be able to keep everything inside with the exception of maybe bikes. That’s why we are probably getting the R1S.

That being said, maybe the truck will blow me away. The gear tunnel and camp kitchen option is pretty rad.

Dreamwater

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Suburban Z71, 1977 CJ5, 2011 Infinity M37
We were set on the R1S until we went to the event in Austin and saw the truck. We have a suburban today that we use almost like a truck. We throw plywood and Sheetrock in the back along with a power washer, tools, dive gear, and whatever other stuff we find to haul around. Now that the kids are headed to college, we really don’t need the extra seats.

When we measured the width of the back of the R1S it was just too small. Something like 45 inches wide. We also really like all the 110 outlets and air compressor in the R1T even though it’s not really designed to run air tools. As I recall, the cover on the R1T locks as well so everything is secure.
Sponsored