Sponsored

R1T vs R1S cargo area - how do you plan on utilizing it? Pros vs Cons?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We also really like all the 110 outlets and air compressor in the R1T
These are supposed to be available in the production R1S as well.
Sponsored

kccougar

First Name
kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, VW Atlas, BMW 328iC, Mini Countryman, Chevrolet Colorado
Occupation
Engineer
R1T will be used to haul bikes in the bed, and to carry work equipment on occasion.

SharkSisB

First Name
Barbara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
attorney
Hi all,

The question about how we plan to use the cargo area of these vehicles prompted a thread about the R1T titled Rear Seat - cargo space/flat floor in the future?

In that thread a few of us have talked about the missed opportunity of having a much larger interior cargo space in the R1T if the rear seats had been designed to fold up (or were removable) to expose a flat floor in the rear cabin. The current design of the rear seat folding forward to expose a small underseat cargo area (Rivian says it is 3.4 cu ft) seems to provide unnecessary extra small-gear storage space given the frunk and the gear tunnel. At least a few of us would much rather have a larger volume of interior space out of the elements, and more secure (for when you stop overnight or some place where you don't want your stuff exposed), for transport of bikes, SCUBA gear, and other larger items. Plus the larger interior space would allow for big mutts to ride comfortably on long road trips. One person noted that it might even be possible to add a sleeping platform in that back seat area if the seats folded out of the way.

The R1S fold-down second row seats seem to provide that interior space, and sufficient room for the biggest mutts, that we desire.

Thank you, everyone, for making this Forum so informative!

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
1- what are the slots in the underseat storage area for? They don’t make dividers right?
2- we have car seats so I have never opened this look how much junk has fallen through lol. What’s under the other car seat I wonder?!
Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs R1S cargo area - how do you plan on utilizing it?  Pros vs Cons? IMG_9390

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 LX570, 2007 LX470, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Owner: Air Down Gear Up
Hi Everyone. We had the opportunity to perform a very thorough evaluation of an R1S recently with the intent of designing a convertible (i.e. preserves 2nd row seats) sleeping platform and drawer system.

Our assessment was the 3rd row seats are easily removed (similiar general attachment methods/trim covers, etc. as we see in most 3row SUVs) and that with the 3rd row out we could make a pretty slick system.

Our vision would preserve 100% access to the OEM spare/cubby, provide two reasonably sized drawers, and allow for a 6ft+ sleeping platform WITH storage underneath (the key there being sleeping + storage)

Our big question is how many people are willing to drop the 3rd row? Coming from the Land Cruiser/LX world where 3rd row removal is typically done immediately, we aren't sure how many people are looking to keep their 3rd row in the Rivian crowd?

Sponsored

pnwr1s

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S | Black on black on black | 20” ATs
Hi Everyone. We had the opportunity to perform a very thorough evaluation of an R1S recently with the intent of designing a convertible (i.e. preserves 2nd row seats) sleeping platform and drawer system.

Our assessment was the 3rd row seats are easily removed (similiar general attachment methods/trim covers, etc. as we see in most 3row SUVs) and that with the 3rd row out we could make a pretty slick system.

Our vision would preserve 100% access to the OEM spare/cubby, provide two reasonably sized drawers, and allow for a 6ft+ sleeping platform WITH storage underneath (the key there being sleeping + storage)

Our big question is how many people are willing to drop the 3rd row? Coming from the Land Cruiser/LX world where 3rd row removal is typically done immediately, we aren't sure how many people are looking to keep their 3rd row in the Rivian crowd?
👋🏻 from ih8mud

For me the issue is not losing third row it’s not having access to the compact spare. Such a bad design on Rivian’s part.

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
👋🏻 from ih8mud

For me the issue is not losing third row it’s not having access to the compact spare. Such a bad design on Rivian’s part.
Totally understand! we consider access to that to be paramount, so the design we have sketched up retains 100% open access to that using some trickery, as long as people are ok losing the 3rd row.

We're picturing a flat tire on a heavily-loaded camping trip while in the rain on a busy highway... you need to be able to have quick ready access to that spare! We will be able to retain that.

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
👋🏻 from ih8mud

oh! and hello to a fellow 'mudder! happy to see some friendly faces here haha. We'd like to think people know us on 'mud. lol

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I’ve had SUVs of all mid-size shapes for 20 years and now the R1T. Whenever putting something inside the suv there’s always the, “will this leak & smell” question be that garbage, water from melting snowboards, potting mix, cat litter from road tripping with the old queen, etc.

In most cases, the mess can now go into the bed of the truck and at worse be hosed out. I’ve added a Lomax cover to it and it’s now basically a 98% dry covered storage area in addition to the gear tunnels and frunk. Everything is out of sight.

we also carry bikes on a hitch rack on the truck. I did the math on my last trip to Lake Tahoe (first without the bikes) and it looks like the ‘bike rack tax’ is only about 5% on energy. Not too bad for 110lbs of e-bikes and rack back there.

Jordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328 D
Occupation
Retired
I know there are a few of you out there, myself included, contemplating which one to order - R1T or R1S. One of the things I’m mulling over is the cargo area of each. So what do we know or can infer at this point about each cargo area?

R1T
  • Bed dimensions: Width: 54.5”, Length (gate up / down): 55” / 82.7”
  • No height restrictions (within reason)
  • Can be covered (standard? Tonneau?)
  • Two optional caps (assuming the swappable bed configurations will be available at launch)
  • Load/unload - Liftgate which can articulate 180 degrees.
  • Quick release rails can go across bed rails, within the bed itself, and across cabin roof
  • Locking cable near rear of bed
R1S
  • Interior dimensions: Not known but overall cargo length clearly longer than R1T when 2nd/3rd row seats folded down
  • Covered and secure since part of the cabin
  • Height restricted
  • Load/unload - I believe it’s a combo liftgate and hatch (not sure if liftgate has the same articulation as on R1T)
  • Additional cargo room across roof with quick release rails (suspect weight a factor with glass roof but not known yet)
Given that, thought it would be interesting to see how people plan on primarily utilizing the cargo area(s) of their EAV of choice. In other words, you prefer the R1T| R1S because … For example -
  • R1S to transport bicycles on roof … or in the cabin to keep dry, more secure, no height worries … or …
  • R1T bed to transport off-road dirt bikes. R1T would be the only option.
  • Mostly camping gear so either EAV will work … or … prefer R1T to put tent across truck bed side rails
  • Your cargo is mostly people so preference is with the R1S and 3rd row seating
  • ???
Basically, what do you plan on hauling around and does it play a part in your choice of which EAV, and if so, why?
I will go with the R1T. I want to be able to throw messy stuff in the bed, or muddy dogs, or gravel or whatever. I also think the tonneau cover is way too limiting and silly. I'll put a removable cap on the bed. I doubt if the tonneau cover is very waterproof and I'm in Maine, and the bed with a cover on it would be useless with a foot of frozen snow on it.

Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I think for me it comes down to if I want/need the covered space of the R1S. Honestly, I probably won't know until I take a test drive and lay the seats flat to see if I can sleep in the back.
My son sleeps in his R1S on climbing trips. He prefers the quiet sleeping in it instead of the noise from others when sleeping in a tent. He can also run the climate control if needed.

I transport my road bike in the R1T bed with the front wheel off and the tailgate up, which isn’t quite as easy as throwing it on a pad in the back of the Impreza with the rear seats folded down. I prefer to cowboy camp instead of sleeping in a vehicle. I like throwing gear in the gear tunnel for car camping. I also wanted the truck bed if I need to evacuate because of a California wildfire.

So everybody has to figure out their use cases, and how they may change over time. It’s complicated.

Last edited:

Stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vivian ('23 Rivian R1S, Glacier, Ocean Coast)

Very intrigued to hear more about your proposed set up here. Mostly I'm interested in the drawer system. We are in line for an R1S and I would most likely do an iKamper RTT on top so wouldn't need interior sleeping space. I'd probably also opt for the iKamper Annex to be able to set up an outdoor kitchen/dining area out of the elements. But I would like to have an efficient drawer and shelf slider system for the back of the R1S to facilitate ease of grabbing/stowing gear, access to fridge, etc.

I'd love to see what you've come up with. Thanks!

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very intrigued to hear more about your proposed set up here. Mostly I'm interested in the drawer system. We are in line for an R1S and I would most likely do an iKamper RTT on top so wouldn't need interior sleeping space. I'd probably also opt for the iKamper Annex to be able to set up an outdoor kitchen/dining area out of the elements. But I would like to have an efficient drawer and shelf slider system for the back of the R1S to facilitate ease of grabbing/stowing gear, access to fridge, etc.

I'd love to see what you've come up with. Thanks!
That's great feedback! So for you, the primary focus is a drawer system instead of the sleeping platform? For the fridge, are you looking for a full size fridge or something more like a drawer fridge? I've attached a picture of our standard drawer+ CD30 fridge with no sleeper.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs R1S cargo area - how do you plan on utilizing it?  Pros vs Cons? 20230908_122031

Stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vivian ('23 Rivian R1S, Glacier, Ocean Coast)
That's great feedback! So for you, the primary focus is a drawer system instead of the sleeping platform? For the fridge, are you looking for a full size fridge or something more like a drawer fridge? I've attached a picture of our standard drawer+ CD30 fridge with no sleeper.

20230908_122031.jpg
Wow that looks great. Yes, our focus would really be on the drawer system, and I guess I'd pictured more of a slide out option on top of the drawers that would hold the fridge. Mostly we'd have gear in the back. Sleeping would all be rooftop. It's a little hard to tell the fridge volume from the photo, but I suspect we'd need something a bit larger than that. So are these all custom builds that you offer or are they more of a mix and match? Thx so much for the info!
Sponsored