Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I would expect the larger battery and larger frontal area would give the Hummer much better towing range than Rivian.

Has anyone with both down a towing range comparison?
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
That kind of puts the possibility of getting a Hummer lower on my list. The 800V charging and the roof would be nice, but I find the Rivian nav to be more than adequate, and the apps on the Rivian are fine. The more suited for off-roading means less suited for street riding as an inverse. It might be nice to have more of a contrast between my car and my wife's. I never go off the beaten path, though, so I don't really need the capability.

Too many choices.
I totally agree with you, there are different use cases. I just went off roading in Sedona, with my Rivian, because I had an issue with my front locker on the Hummer, it is at the dealership. A few jeep drivers commented on my tires, LOL.

Another thing I will say, is that it was easy for me to schedule service quickly with the GMC dealer. When I got my Rivian, it had 2 recalls and a frunk not closing issue, took 7 weeks to get an appointment and 12 days at the service center.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I would expect the larger battery and larger frontal area would give the Hummer much better towing range than Rivian.

Has anyone with both down a towing range comparison?
There was a test online, between R1T, Lightning and Hummer, all pulling the same trailer. R1T and Lightning got 110 miles, Hummer got 140. I have done a towing test in the Rivian with my boat and am going to repeat it with the Hummer. My R1T got 115 miles, with my 5k lb boat.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Iā€˜ve had my R1T right at 9 months and have put 9,300 miles on it. Overall Iā€™ve been very quite happy with it. My use case involves about 45% of my ā€œfuelā€ coming from a 14 panel solar array at my farm. So after 9,300 miles, my ā€electrical billā€ on my house has increased by about $375 total for these miles. (Iā€™ve not done any charging away from home/farm.)

Today I decided to test drive a Hummer EV since a local dealership had 4 or 5 in stock. I drove the old Gen1 Hummer (diesels) when I was in the Army Infantry and it goes without saying that the new Hummer being a EV is quite quite quite different.

Items I noticed:
  • Dash had a lot of plastic parts
  • The car pumps in artificial engine noise to make it sound V8 like. (I found this very weird)
  • It drove ā€œsmallerā€ than the footprint of the vehicle, which is good in my eyes
  • Certain headscratching items, like the frunk didnā€™t have any sort of hood lining to it. Just exposed painted hood. For $120k, Iā€™d think there should be a lining of something.
  • It had windnoise when going down the interstate. I think this is because there were two cube sized off road lights attached hear the A-pillars. I think that was the source of the wind noise.
  • The power tonneau cover was darn cool
  • Supports CarPlay (sorry - couldnā€™t resist)
  • Has super cruise self driving (I didnā€™t get the chance to test to see how it compares to Rivianā€™s self-driving, which I use all the time)

One item I canā€™t get past is the size of the battery. Given how large the battery is, my level 2 charger at home would have to be plugged in for 14-16 hours to fully top off the battery, vs 6-8 hours to accomplish similar in my R1T. Range is slightly better in the Hummer, but like 320 vs 280 Miles. The ā€œeconomicsā€ of the increased charge time just makes it pretty impractical in my eyes.

The Hummer was ā€œniceā€, but the cost of me getting into this situation just doesnā€™t make economical sense. R1T is quieter, I love the gear tunnel and underseat rear storage. I realize they arenā€™t direct competitors with each other, but they are both EV pickups, so the comparison was a path I went down.
Appreciate the post. Am seriously considering making the change from Rivian to Hummer. Not because I don't love my Rivian, but that Hummer, is just a best and I've loved it since the second I saw it. Have adjusted my other cars to now make it possible. The Rivain has been my daily driver, but got a plug-in hybrid with 41 miles in EV range to cover my daily driving needs and will be my car for long distance trips as I can no longer afford to stop at chargers. So, now the Rivian becomes just my personal recreation vehicle. Would have remotely considered the Hummer as a daily driver, but now that I have another viable daily driver, I could make it work. Haven't made any final decisions. If I could, I'd keep both, but that doesn't make sense for me. Again, absolutely love the Rivian and it's a great daily driver / recreation vehicle. But, now want to separate the two and I just love the "in your face" attitude of the Hummer. It's a strong possibility.

OP
OP
KubotaTed

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
Question to group: if I were to consider even doing this, what is the trade-in market for EVs look like? My R1T has 9,400 miles on it. Would I even be expecting $70k for a trade-in?

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Question to group: if I were to consider even doing this, what is the trade-in market for EVs look like? My R1T has 9,400 miles on it. Would I even be expecting $70k for a trade-in?
NN or NP? quad? p>= .90 you get less than 70k

OP
OP
KubotaTed

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
Following and would love to see a picture of your 69 Ford Cobra! @KubotaTed I had the same question and in your answer I have all the bells and whistles as well.
I would too, but I don't have a 69 Ford Cobra. I do have a 67 Ford Mustang convertible however and can share that pick. The 812 is my pride and joy "fun car" though.

Edit - I see that you were asking two talking two different people (Count has a '69 COBRA)

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
I would too, but I don't have a 69 Ford Cobra. I do have a 67 Ford Mustang convertible however and can share that pick. The 812 is my pride and joy "fun car" though. -OR - perhaps you were talking two different people (Count has a '69 COBRA perhaps)
I was actually asking that to Count Orlock but would also love to see your 67 Ford Mustang as well!
Sponsored