Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Couple unrelated thoughts here;

1) What are those white "pillows" underneath the Hummer's rear suspension?
2) I'm a bit shocked by this comparison. I really thought the Hummer would be bigger. When details first started coming out, people were losing their shit over the weight of the Hummer. And fairly, because it's ridiculous. But looking at them side by side, I'm shocked that the Rivian is *only* 60% of the weight of the Hummer. And the Rivian is heavy enough as it is.
3) The more I see about the Hummer, the more I'm actually finding I kind of like it. I'm specifically intrigued by the SUV variant. It'll be a legitimately nice vehicle.
1) I think those are the lower control arms. Since the Hummer has rear steering, that stuff probably necessarily sits lower than the control arms in the Rivian.
2) I'm pretty sure the Rivian uses a lot more aluminum, but I don't remember seeing an actual content percentage for either vehicle. GM's pack is ~200kWh whereas we've only seen figures for the ~135kWh pack in the R1T. The Bolt EV's 65kWh pack is pretty close to 1000 lbs. The Hummer's pack is probably close to the entire weight of the Bolt EV.
3) My worry is that it'll just be a lot bigger of a vehicle than I really want as a daily driver. The wheel arches might make it difficult to know how much space you have when you are driving since you can't see the passenger ones from the driver's seat.
Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I just noticed something that I can't un-see. The Hummer's tailgate camera makes it look like it has a bellybutton...

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
1) I think those are the lower control arms. Since the Hummer has rear steering, that stuff probably necessarily sits lower than the control arms in the Rivian.
Yes, those are the lower control arms. I think the Hummer is in its lowest ride height in that picture, since the control arms are parallel to the ground, whereas the R1T is in its normal ride height.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Couple unrelated thoughts here;

1) What are those white "pillows" underneath the Hummer's rear suspension?
2) I'm a bit shocked by this comparison. I really thought the Hummer would be bigger. When details first started coming out, people were losing their shit over the weight of the Hummer. And fairly, because it's ridiculous. But looking at them side by side, I'm shocked that the Rivian is *only* 60% of the weight of the Hummer. And the Rivian is heavy enough as it is.
3) The more I see about the Hummer, the more I'm actually finding I kind of like it. I'm specifically intrigued by the SUV variant. It'll be a legitimately nice vehicle.
Personally the side view of the Hummer truck is pretty ugly. Front and back are nice ?
Agree the SUV variant looks really good to me too. Maybe 2025 deliveries?

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Triumph TR8; 1981 Triumph TR8; 2005 Saab 9-2
Occupation
Reporter
I'm a Juror and I am at the testing. Both Rivian and Hummer are letting jurors drive their trucks, but there are engineers and/or PR people in the vehicles. We can take all other competitors out alone. The Hummer is fully functional, all features.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm a Juror and I am at the testing. Both Rivian and Hummer are letting jurors drive their trucks, but there are engineers and/or PR people in the vehicles. We can take all other competitors out alone. The Hummer is fully functional, all features.
I look forward to the results.

Have you done this in the past? How frequently do your selections match the vehicle that is ultimately chosen?

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Triumph TR8; 1981 Triumph TR8; 2005 Saab 9-2
Occupation
Reporter
I look forward to the results.

Have you done this in the past? How frequently do your selections match the vehicle that is ultimately chosen?
Sadly, I have a spotty record for picking the winners. Maybe 50 percent right over the years. I can't recall us ever getting a brand new vehicle from a brand new company before. We were going to test the Lucid Air, but they pulled out at the last minute.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2

SeaGeo