First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I think he is spot on, all three have an audience.

Like I said in the F150 vs R1T thread, I'd love the bigger bed, but this will be my daily driver. I need her to fit in my garage and in those smaller parking spaces around town and such, more then I will need the larger bed.

I think the trucks that will be in trouble will be the Chevy and Rams (for the "Work Truck" audience)... Ford is beating them to the punch and will have a ton more user data and feedback on what is working well/what is not and will have a couple of iterations under their belt by the time Chevy and Ram get their trucks out the door.

...no idea WTF Toyota is doing.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S

Like I said in the F150 vs R1T thread, I'd love the bigger bed, but this will be my daily driver. I need her to fit in my garage and in those smaller parking spaces around town and such, more then I will need the larger bed.

I think the trucks that will be in trouble will be the Chevy and Rams (for the "Work Truck" audience)... Ford is beating them to the punch and will have a ton more user data and feedback on what is working well/what is not and will have a couple of iterations under their belt by the time Chevy and Ram get their trucks out the door.

The execs over at Toyota are idiots TBH. I keep seeing these commercials from Toyota recently about their "you don't have to charge and waste time" hybrids, and it pisses me off. Yeah, great idea. Let me just charge my tiny battery using gas. Great for the environment lol. They are going to be screwed in like 10 years when everyone is buying BEV's and they are still offering these hybrids or ICE cars that nobody is going to be buying.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The execs over at Toyota are idiots TBH. I keep seeing these commercials from Toyota recently about their "you don't have to charge and waste time" hybrids, and it pisses me off. Yeah, great idea. Let me just charge my tiny battery using gas. Great for the environment lol. They are going to be screwed in like 10 years when everyone is buying BEV's and they are still offering these hybrids or ICE cars that nobody is going to be buying.
Unfortunately, there are loads of people waiting to lap up any sloppy seconds Toyota puts on the market. I saw a Facebook thread about the new Tundra and Toyota-fans were losing their minds over the Tundra and ”how amazing” and “so much better than anything else on the market” it supposedly was. I was flabbergasted. Styling aside (which feels “old” to me, already, but that is subjective) the specs on the new Tundra are already “meh” compared to the competition which hasn’t been refreshed as recently. The last Tundra went 14 years without a redesign (model year 2007-2021) so there’s a strong chance this new pile of mediocrity will get long in the tooth FAST. Seriosuly, these people are getting excited over a hybrid powertrain that apparantly can’t even match the fuel economy of non-hybrid competitors, let along the Hybrid F-150, and it uses a Ni-MH battery — ugh. How are people getting excited over this rubbish?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Unfortunately, there are loads of people waiting to lap up any sloppy seconds Toyota puts on the market. I saw a Facebook thread about the new Tundra and Toyota-fans were losing their minds over the Tundra and ”how amazing” and “so much better than anything else on the market” it supposedly was. I was flabbergasted. Styling aside (which feels “old” to me, already, but that is subjective) the specs on the new Tundra are already “meh” compared to the competition which hasn’t been refreshed as recently. The last Tundra went 14 years without a redesign (model year 2007-2021) so there’s a strong chance this new pile of mediocrity will get long in the tooth FAST. Seriosuly, these people are getting excited over a hybrid powertrain that apparantly can’t even match the fuel economy of non-hybrid competitors, let along the Hybrid F-150, and it uses a Ni-MH battery — ugh. How are people getting excited over this rubbish?
It’s America; Blindly buying poorly designed Asian crap because it’s seemingly competitively priced is kind of our thing.

OP
OP

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It’s America; Blindly buying poorly designed Asian crap because it’s seemingly competitively priced is kind of our thing.
Well that was an unexpectedly racist turn.

Don't underestimate the capacity for American workers (or any other country, for that matter) to churn out crap. Likewise, some of the highest quality products are built in Asian countries. The point is that the country of origin isn't the primary factor in quality.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
You should see what’s going on at the CT Owners Club site. Hahahahaha. There all attacking Ben and whining cause the Vaparware, sorry Cybertruck didn’t win Bens selection.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

Toyota is sleeping. After taking the lead in hybrids they blew the chance to lead in EVs. A Tacoma EV would be some real competition to the R1T.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
As @CommodoreAmiga points out, I don't think "Country of Origin" comes into play here. I think it's more of people clinging to their buggy whips as long as they can. That is, they don't like EV's, don't want an EV, and refuse to learn about EV's (Pro's and Con's.. and just stick to Con's).

One need only poke through the comments section of any of these YouTube reviewers that don't specialize in EV's (like... TFL... great example), or main stream media... and you will find a plethora of ill informed, or outright jackassery level comments around EV's and their limitations/uses.

So, no, I don't think where the vehicle comes from is what is driving the crowd to sing the praises of a dead tech, I think it's more based on other bias (Change is scary!) and ignorance.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
Well that was an unexpectedly racist turn.

Don't underestimate the capacity for American workers (or any other country, for that matter) to churn out crap. Likewise, some of the highest quality products are built in Asian countries. The point is that the country of origin isn't the primary factor in quality.
yep...my '88 LandCruiser only lasted 20 years for me. I live in the Rust Belt and it succumbed to the salted roads etc. Incredible vehicle and classic styling and if I had that truck in mint condition today, I could probably sell it for 10x the original MSRP. I've owned 2 LandCruisers for a total of 40 years combined-- I'd say I'm satisfied with Toyota

GooniesNeverSayDie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xterra, CX-5
yep...my '88 LandCruiser only lasted 20 years for me. I live in the Rust Belt and it succumbed to the salted roads etc. Incredible vehicle and classic styling and if I had that truck in mint condition today, I could probably sell it for 10x the original MSRP. I've owned 2 LandCruisers for a total of 40 years combined-- I'd say I'm satisfied with Toyota
Toyota quality is unbelievably awesome. I hope these electric vehicles can get half the life of a Toyota ICE.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I don't doubt you one bit. People are loyal to brands, period. And the general public isn't ready to switch over to EV's yet. We're the enthusiastic bunch that know where the future is headed. Not everyone can see that yet or just don't care. The crappy level 3 infrastructure right now doesn't help at all either. Plus, battery tech isn't quite there yet to match the time it takes to get a tank of gas, which all these people seem to care about, even when 95% of the time, it's not relevant anyway.
Sponsored