Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

For our Engineers....does this look well designed....efficient...robust...etc?

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
For our Engineers....does this look well designed....efficient...robust...etc?
Looks awful. I wouldn't buy it. You (and everyone else) should definitely cancel your preorder so I get mine sooner.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
The crew there was all impressed with the design and build. I'm not an engineer myself but they are.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Looks awful. I wouldn't buy it. You (and everyone else) should definitely cancel your preorder so I get mine sooner.
I'm with OverZealous. In fact, it's so bad, I would sell your truck before Sandy Munro has a chance to tear it down and the whole world realizes how bad it is.

Happy to make an offer to take this clunker off your hands.

:devil:

Last edited:

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
The Rivian is very well engineered and put together. Teslas are basically a motor and battery with a body shell on top of it. This is simply based on my observation of removing the frunk on both vehicles.

epnfrn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 4S Cab, Acura MDX, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Physician
concern about dirt building up through those wheel well vents? And why needed? Donā€™t think Iā€™ve had a car with vents like that
-b

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
concern about dirt building up through those wheel well vents? And why needed? Donā€™t think Iā€™ve had a car with vents like that
-b
Assuming the ā€œradiatorā€œ fan blows air out the front grill, perhaps those vents on the wheel well are for air intake.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Assuming the ā€œradiatorā€œ fan blows air out the front grill, perhaps those vents on the wheel well are for air intake.
I haven't done any scientific tests on this one but it seems to me that the radiator fan PULLS air into the area (the air near the bumper is traveling in toward the truck). The venting over the wheel wells (I was told) are to relieve air pressure in the wheel well area.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I haven't done any scientific tests on this one but it seems to me that the radiator fan PULLS air into the area (the air near the bumper is traveling in toward the truck). The venting over the wheel wells (I was told) are to relieve air pressure in the wheel well area.
Yep, that'd be my guess. The vents over the wheels are out vents, not intakes. Any air coming into that compartment should be flowing across the radiator first. You want as much air flowing over the radiator as possible because you want as much cooling potential as possible and if you ever need less cooling, you can just slow down the radiator fan or maybe even slow the pumps in the cooling circuit.

But then you have to deal with the pressure rise caused by the inflow across the radiator (i.e. the air you're using to cool the radiator has to go somewhere). A lot of cars just have a giant opening under the engine. Rivian doesn't want that because they want as smooth and undercarriage as possible for aero purposes. The vents in the wheel wells are better because they're already in an area that's going to have some turbulence -- you can't really avoid having open front wheel wells, especially on an off-road capable truck.
Sponsored