Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This is a better view of what is under the skin:

?. Sandy mentions that Sue, his wife, has special credentials — 3 degrees in engineering and manufacturing, including a PhD, and one MBA, to say that when Sue complemented the Rivian in yesterday’s video, her creds are extraordinary and ought to be noted. Also said this may be the last vehicle he ever buys for himself. May Sandy and Sue have many years ahead!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
?. He mentions his wife’s engineering credentials — 4 degrees in engineering and manufacturing, to say that when she complemented the Rivian in yesterday’s video, , her creds are extraordinary and ought to be noted.
Yup, very impressive. I married up too. Highly recommend to single guys out there.

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
So close to answering the skid plate questions but yet so far! I wish they showed the plates they took off below the mirrors, and also took off the plastic aero cover from below the battery. Oh well, at some point someone will be able to directly compare the differences between the trucks with and without the optional skid plates.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
So close to answering the skid plate questions but yet so far! I wish they showed the plates they took off below the mirrors, and also took off the plastic aero cover from below the battery. Oh well, at some point someone will be able to directly compare the differences between the trucks with and without the optional skid plates.
Yes, generally very disappointed with not seeing the teardown. At first glance I thought these were a part of it.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T underbody review by Sandy Munro. "Amazing suspension." 1648669745292

but they are most likely under four plastic pieces around the battery:

Rivian R1T R1S R1T underbody review by Sandy Munro. "Amazing suspension." 1648669943142

Rivian R1T R1S R1T underbody review by Sandy Munro. "Amazing suspension." 1648670072547

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Can definitely envision a sleek single piece casting replacing that extensively hand welded/hugly time consuming to build center mounting structure in future Rivian builds. Hopefully it will make it's way in to the R1T like it did in the Model Y.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Wonder if the 1/8 inch metal plate between the carbon fiber battery tray and the outer shield is the off road skid?
Rivian R1T R1S R1T underbody review by Sandy Munro. "Amazing suspension." 1C7ACD00-7DF0-4CFB-81A5-963BBDBC979C
Rivian R1T R1S R1T underbody review by Sandy Munro. "Amazing suspension." D5ADB63E-BB39-4584-A68B-EECE635E5805

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
?. Sandy mentions that Sue, his wife, has special credentials — 3 degrees in engineering and manufacturing, including a PhD, and one MBA, to say that when Sue complemented the Rivian in yesterday’s video, her creds are extraordinary and ought to be noted. Also said this may be the last vehicle he ever buys for himself. May Sandy and Sue have many years ahead!
100% agree, she's got the chops for this kind of work/analysis... and she has a great camera presentation. Like many engineers, she chooses her words carefully and makes the point with economy.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Sure hope Rivian has at least one composites mfg. engineer that made sure to call for a paste sealant/barrier gets applied to all metal fasteners attaching the plate to the carbon-fiber laminate. Otherwise that's a recipe for galvanic corrosion. The plate face itself should be fine touching the laminate surface as long as the plate has a robust anti-corrosion coating which it appears to have being black in color. But through-bolts or rivets or any kind of metallic fastener other than say titanium requires a coating. Commonly a polymer paste called ProSeal. Fastener bearing, shear and all other loads will normally wear-away at exposed surfaces at each hole location.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This video confirms what I've thought for a while now (since the in depth MT article) that the suspension is the real secret sauce as opposed to the quad motors.

By all accounts the suspension, both the structural aspects and the hybrid hydraulic/air system, is an absolute work of art. Put it in the Louvre.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Please do not treat this as gospel, Sandy often makes many engineering errors. His "specialized" engineers even called the humvee portals planetary, which is completely wrong.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Wow! I'm impressed. These guys really know their stuff and they are impressed.

Brian
Sponsored