Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just returned from the KTM Adventure rally in Idaho in my R1T. I left a week ago Monday with my KTM 790 in the bed. It weighs about 480 lbs and I also had my gear along with a friends gear - maybe 900 lbs payload including me.

The route was pretty simple. I-80 from SF to Winnemucca and then North on 95 to Boise. There are not any other options that are direct.

First part of the drive was a breeze as there are lots of chargers on I-80. First three stops were in Auburn, Fernley and Winnemucca at EA stations. No issues at all.

It was 408 miles to Winnemucca and I averaged 69mph in 6 hours and was at 1.74 mi/kWh and used 233 kWh.

From here (Winnemucca) things got interesting. The onboard nav warned me there were no hi speed chargers on the way the Boise. The distance was about 260 miles but I knew there was a 50A charger in McDermitt about 80 miles north of Winnemucca. I charged to a range of 256 miles at the EA in Winnemucca and left at 3:10PM. Next stop was McDermitt where I had planned to grab some extra charge in order ro make it to Boise.

I arrived in McDermitt about an hour later (5:10 - time zone change) and plugged in to the slow charger (28 min added 20 kWh). The charger stopped charging at 20 kWh for some reason and I thought I had enough charge to make it. Left McDermitt at 5:47PM. The Nav said it was 179 miles to Boise and I had 209 miles of range. About an hour later things still looked good 137 miles to go with an indicated 154 miles of range. Another hour (7:35) and not so good - 65 miles to go and 67 miles of range. At this point I was really getting anxious and started going slow and even started drafting a big rig. 60 mph on the flats and 35 up the hills when the semi slowed slowed to climb them. There is absolutely NOTHING out in this area of southern Oregon and Idaho, no towns, no stops, NOTHING - did I mention it was getting dark and I started to see mountains ahead?

The closest EA fast charger was at Walmart #2508 in Boise and other than a few 14-50 RV spots there wasn't anything else on Plugshare so I needed to get there. At 7:57 with 41 miles still to go it said I would arrive there with 3 miles of range. I really slowed down at the point and arrived at the Walmart at 8:45 with 1% SOC and 4 miles of range. Wow, was that stressful!

Lesson learned - when driving to Boise either charge to 100% in Winnemucca or have at least 40 miles of range buffer when leaving McDermitt. I'm honestly not sure I could have done this trip at all in the winter with the same payload.

I parked my truck at my buddies house and kept it plugged in four 5 days while we went to the KTM rally in Tamarack. He only had a 110 outlet and I knew I'd need full charge for my return trip.

SF bay area to Boise totals:
Distance - 658 miles
Avg Speed - 66 mph
Duration - 10:02
Efficiency - 1.72 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 360 kWh

----- Return trip (boise to SF Bay area) -----

I came home this past Monday. I left my buddies house in Boise (10 miles past Walmart #2508) with a full charge (293 miles) at 7:15AM but this time with two motorcycles in the bed.
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
McDermitt stop - charge - 52 min

I arrived in McDermitt with 27 miles of range left (!) having travelled 186 miles averaging 61 mph in 3:04 with a 1.65 kW/h. I didn't speed at all and never exceeded the highest posted speed of 70 mph. The temp varied from 45 to 65 degrees. This time I charged longer at the slow charger and wasn't kicked off. I added 42kWh in 52 min. I left McDermitt with 111 miles of range for a 75 mile trip to Winnemucca.

- Boise to McDermitt leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 293 miles
Distance travelled - 186 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 27 miles
Discrepancy - 80 miles short

Boise to McDermitt totals:
Distance - 186 miles
Avg Speed - 61 mph
Duration - 3:04
Efficiency - 1.65 mi/kWh
Total Energy used- 113.5 kWh

Total Charging time - 52 min

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Winnemucca stop - charge - 42 min

I arrived at the Walmart in Winne about an hour later with 13 miles of range remaining - again not going faster than 60-65mph.
There are four EA chargers at the Winne Walmart and three were broken. One had a blank screen, one had the 'not available' icon, the 350 charger said ready but would not charge when connect and luckily one of the 150 plugs worked. I charged to 236 miles (79%) for the 134 mile trip.

- McDermitt to Winnemucca leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 111 miles
Distance travelled - 75 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 13 miles
Discrepancy - 23 miles short
Boise to Winnemucca totals:
Distance - 261 miles
Avg Speed - 60 mph
Duration - 4:22
Efficiency - 1.66 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 157.6 kWh

Total Charging time - 94 min
Fernley stop - charge - 34 min

Arrived in Fernley with 27 miles of range left - weather was windy and had some rain. Speed varied from 78 to 85 mph. Charged to 211 miles (71%)

- Winnemucca to Fernley leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 236 miles
Distance travelled - 134 miles
Discrepancy - 75 miles short

Boise to Fernley totals:
Distance - 389 miles
Avg Speed - 63 mph
Duration - 6:10
Efficiency - 1.56 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 249 kWh

Total Charging time - 128 min
Auburn stop - charge - 26 min

Charged to 209 miles for 151 mile trip

- Fernley to Auburn leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 211 miles
Distance travelled - 131 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 49 miles
Discrepancy - 31 miles short

Boise to Auburn totals:
* forgot to get these*

Total Charging time - 154 min
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
- Auburn to home leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 209 miles
Distance travelled - 151 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 10 miles
Discrepancy - 48 miles short

Boise to home totals:
Distance - 688 miles
Avg Speed - 65 mph
Duration - 10:17
Efficiency - 1.65 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 406 kWh
-----------------------------------

I don't think you could do this trip with the same payload in the winter without a very long stop in McDermitt. Even then you'd have to charge past 80% on some legs. I've been driving EV's for over 10 years so I'm familiar with them. It's great to have a truck to carry payload like this but the aerodynamics, weight and payload seem to make a big difference on this trip. I'd have to do the same trip with no load to be sure.

I'm glad I have a max battery reserved at this point as I think it would help in exactly these sorts of situations.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T trip report  - SF bay area to Boise roundtrip with a payload (1300 miles) - Long w/ data! 1663815832827

Rivian R1T R1S R1T trip report  - SF bay area to Boise roundtrip with a payload (1300 miles) - Long w/ data! 1663815894735

Rivian R1T R1S R1T trip report  - SF bay area to Boise roundtrip with a payload (1300 miles) - Long w/ data! 1663816001875

Rivian R1T R1S R1T trip report  - SF bay area to Boise roundtrip with a payload (1300 miles) - Long w/ data! 1663816093880
Sponsored

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
Thanks, this is good info. I live in Reno and have family in Boise so we make frequent trips. But have not tried it in the rivian yet, one of these days when I get the nerve. Without the extra payload and wind resistance, you would have a lot more buffer. But they do need a fast charger in McDermott and Jordan valley.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
It’s funny how dirt bikes eat so much power. In my ICE truck, same trip gets 18.5-20mpg. With a bike in the back, 15. A single bike.

Any foul weather such as rain or super cold temps could render the trip impossible without keeping speeds unbearably slow.

Did driver+ work during this trip or those longer legs?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
do you mind sharing some more pictures on how you strapped down your KTM? Did you feel like there was too much weight on the tailgate? Also how did you load it? Any issues at all? I have a Ducati DesertX (about the same size as your KTM) on order and would plan on doing the same when I get the truck, but I’ve seen other comments that the bed is too small to haul a full sized motorcycle. Thanks

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Just returned from the KTM Adventure rally in Idaho in my R1T. I left a week ago Monday with my KTM 790 in the bed. It weighs about 480 lbs and I also had my gear along with a friends gear - maybe 900 lbs payload including me.

The route was pretty simple. I-80 from SF to Winnemucca and then North on 95 to Boise. There are not any other options that are direct.

First part of the drive was a breeze as there are lots of chargers on I-80. First three stops were in Auburn, Fernley and Winnemucca at EA stations. No issues at all.

It was 408 miles to Winnemucca and I averaged 69mph in 6 hours and was at 1.74 mi/kWh and used 233 kWh.

From here (Winnemucca) things got interesting. The onboard nav warned me there were no hi speed chargers on the way the Boise. The distance was about 260 miles but I knew there was a 50A charger in McDermitt about 80 miles north of Winnemucca. I charged to a range of 256 miles at the EA in Winnemucca and left at 3:10PM. Next stop was McDermitt where I had planned to grab some extra charge in order ro make it to Boise.

I arrived in McDermitt about an hour later (5:10 - time zone change) and plugged in to the slow charger (28 min added 20 kWh). The charger stopped charging at 20 kWh for some reason and I thought I had enough charge to make it. Left McDermitt at 5:47PM. The Nav said it was 179 miles to Boise and I had 209 miles of range. About an hour later things still looked good 137 miles to go with an indicated 154 miles of range. Another hour (7:35) and not so good - 65 miles to go and 67 miles of range. At this point I was really getting anxious and started going slow and even started drafting a big rig. 60 mph on the flats and 35 up the hills when the semi slowed slowed to climb them. There is absolutely NOTHING out in this area of southern Oregon and Idaho, no towns, no stops, NOTHING - did I mention it was getting dark and I started to see mountains ahead?

The closest EA fast charger was at Walmart #2508 in Boise and other than a few 14-50 RV spots there wasn't anything else on Plugshare so I needed to get there. At 7:57 with 41 miles still to go it said I would arrive there with 3 miles of range. I really slowed down at the point and arrived at the Walmart at 8:45 with 1% SOC and 4 miles of range. Wow, was that stressful!

Lesson learned - when driving to Boise either charge to 100% in Winnemucca or have at least 40 miles of range buffer when leaving McDermitt. I'm honestly not sure I could have done this trip at all in the winter with the same payload.

I parked my truck at my buddies house and kept it plugged in four 5 days while we went to the KTM rally in Tamarack. He only had a 110 outlet and I knew I'd need full charge for my return trip.

SF bay area to Boise totals:
Distance - 658 miles
Avg Speed - 66 mph
Duration - 10:02
Efficiency - 1.72 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 360 kWh

----- Return trip (boise to SF Bay area) -----

I came home this past Monday. I left my buddies house in Boise (10 miles past Walmart #2508) with a full charge (293 miles) at 7:15AM but this time with two motorcycles in the bed.
McDermitt stop - charge - 52 min

I arrived in McDermitt with 27 miles of range left (!) having travelled 186 miles averaging 61 mph in 3:04 with a 1.65 kW/h. I didn't speed at all and never exceeded the highest posted speed of 70 mph. The temp varied from 45 to 65 degrees. This time I charged longer at the slow charger and wasn't kicked off. I added 42kWh in 52 min. I left McDermitt with 111 miles of range for a 75 mile trip to Winnemucca.

- Boise to McDermitt leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 293 miles
Distance travelled - 186 miles
Discrepancy - 80 miles short

Boise to McDermitt totals:
Distance - 186 miles
Avg Speed - 61 mph
Duration - 3:04
Efficiency - 1.65 mi/kWh
Total Energy used- 113.5 kWh

Total Charging time - 52 min

Winnemucca stop - charge - 42 min

I arrived at the Walmart in Winne about an hour later with 13 miles of range remaining - again not going faster than 60-65mph.
There are four EA chargers at the Winne Walmart and three were broken. One had a blank screen, one had the 'not available' icon, the 350 charger said ready but would not charge when connect and luckily one of the 150 plugs worked. I charged to 236 miles (79%) for the 134 mile trip.

- McDermitt to Winnemucca leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 111 miles
Distance travelled - 75 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 13 miles
Discrepancy - 23 miles short
Boise to Winnemucca totals:
Distance - 261 miles
Avg Speed - 60 mph
Duration - 4:22
Efficiency - 1.66 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 157.6 kWh

Total Charging time - 94 min
Fernley stop - charge - 34 min

Arrived in Fernley with 27 miles of range left - weather was windy and had some rain. Speed varied from 78 to 85 mph. Charged to 211 miles (71%)

- Winnemucca to Fernley leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 236 miles
Distance travelled - 134 miles
Discrepancy - 75 miles short

Boise to Fernley totals:
Distance - 389 miles
Avg Speed - 63 mph
Duration - 6:10
Efficiency - 1.56 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 249 kWh

Total Charging time - 128 min
Auburn stop - charge - 26 min

Charged to 209 miles for 151 mile trip

- Fernley to Auburn leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 211 miles
Distance travelled - 131 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 49 miles
Discrepancy - 31 miles short

Boise to Auburn totals:
* forgot to get these*

Total Charging time - 154 min
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
- Auburn to home leg -
Departure Charge Range indicated - 209 miles
Distance travelled - 151 miles
Arrival remaining range indicated - 10 miles
Discrepancy - 48 miles short

Boise to home totals:
Distance - 688 miles
Avg Speed - 65 mph
Duration - 10:17
Efficiency - 1.65 mi/kWh
Total Energy - 406 kWh
-----------------------------------

I don't think you could do this trip with the same payload in the winter without a very long stop in McDermitt. Even then you'd have to charge past 80% on some legs. I've been driving EV's for over 10 years so I'm familiar with them. It's great to have a truck to carry payload like this but the aerodynamics, weight and payload seem to make a big difference on this trip. I'd have to do the same trip with no load to be sure.

I'm glad I have a max battery reserved at this point as I think it would help in exactly these sorts of situations.

1663815832827.png

1663815894735.png

1663816001875.png

1663816093880.png
You probably underestimated the brutality of the hills on the final stretch a bit having driven this route many times. There's a couple places to stop about 15 mi short in Nampa with car dealer ccs's, and Jordan valley has an accommodating RV Park

I must say this is one of the more extreme routes so if you made this work you should be good

Sponsored

Rasputin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KTM, Vespa
Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

I have an 890 as well and have been wondering what the penalty would be for staging with the truck. Sounds like I should factor 10%-15% loss on range to be safe? Also, I put a hybrid moto rack in from https://ccrsport.com/ that works pretty well just as an FYI. Used the existing four screws to mount in the front of the bed. Mostly to try to keep the 21 front wheel off the tonneau lip. Although, I don't think you need it... I once saw a guy with THREE mx bikes stuffed in the back of his Rivian. He was an employee so don't think he gave much of a shit but rad to see...

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
do you mind sharing some more pictures on how you strapped down your KTM? Did you feel like there was too much weight on the tailgate? Also how did you load it? Any issues at all? I have a Ducati DesertX (about the same size as your KTM) on order and would plan on doing the same when I get the truck, but I’ve seen other comments that the bed is too small to haul a full sized motorcycle. Thanks
No problem with the tailgate. As you can see I fit two bikes in the bed. I used a standard ramp.

Here's a link to my mounting system.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/bed-rails.1292/page-2

Rivian R1T R1S R1T trip report  - SF bay area to Boise roundtrip with a payload (1300 miles) - Long w/ data! 1663907367306

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It’s funny how dirt bikes eat so much power. In my ICE truck, same trip gets 18.5-20mpg. With a bike in the back, 15. A single bike.

Any foul weather such as rain or super cold temps could render the trip impossible without keeping speeds unbearably slow.

Did driver+ work during this trip or those longer legs?
I didn't really use Driver +

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

I have an 890 as well and have been wondering what the penalty would be for staging with the truck. Sounds like I should factor 10%-15% loss on range to be safe? Also, I put a hybrid moto rack in from https://ccrsport.com/ that works pretty well just as an FYI. Used the existing four screws to mount in the front of the bed. Mostly to try to keep the 21 front wheel off the tonneau lip. Although, I don't think you need it... I once saw a guy with THREE mx bikes stuffed in the back of his Rivian. He was an employee so don't think he gave much of a shit but rad to see...
Wow, I'd like to see a pic of three bikes in the bed!

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks, this is good info. I live in Reno and have family in Boise so we make frequent trips. But have not tried it in the rivian yet, one of these days when I get the nerve. Without the extra payload and wind resistance, you would have a lot more buffer. But they do need a fast charger in McDermott and Jordan valley.
In an effort to less the wind resistance I even took the mirrors and windscreen off my 790. Maybe it helped...

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. I was also interested in how you loaded the bikes, and if you felt that was a lot of weight on the tailgate. While I rarely take long trips now (or in my expected Rivian), just reading your post gave me range anxiety. Glad I've reserved a Max pack! πŸ˜„

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

Based on rear wheel position on the tailgate and the 790 having a wheelbase of 58.07" I think my R1250GSA should fit. Pics really helped, thanks!

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Based on rear wheel position on the tailgate and the 790 having a wheelbase of 58.07" I think my R1250GSA should fit. Pics really helped, thanks!
Yes it should. I haven’t loaded my 1250 GSA yet but it shouldn’t be a problem.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No problem with the tailgate. As you can see I fit two bikes in the bed. I used a standard ramp.

Here's a link to my mounting system.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/bed-rails.1292/page-2

1663907367306.png
Thanks! This is the first time I've seen an ADV bike loaded up, so it confirms that there isn't an issue which was one of my concerns of the short bed. After ~15 years of sport/naked bikes, I'll hopfully be moving to an ADV and eventually some dirt ridding this fall. A truck that can get me to the far off places I want to ride is one of the factors of why I want a truck.

It would be great if they could take the same thinking of camp mode and have a load mode where the back lowered and the font raised to allow for an easier time loading a bike up a ramp.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Thank you for the great write-up!

I may have missed it, but what drive mode/height setting were you using. I haven't had the opportunity to drive any really long trips, but I did drive from Hillsboro, OR to Lincoln City, OR in SPORT mode and the Lowest setting when picking up my R1T from the Xpel PPF shop. I was floored by how much SPORT mode ate up the available range number. It was a poor man's test and assured me I would never, ever use SPORT mode on any trip where distance between chargers mattered. That's probably a given, but I seem to be a slow learner some days.
Sponsored