Sponsored

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Something isn't right with that figure. Just not realistically possible, especially with 20" all terrains. Doesn't pass the smell test. My 2,000 lighter and far more aerodynamic Model S gets less than that when averaging "usually over 70 mph". So, for those thinking those figures will be what you can expect from your Rivian, you'll be sadly disappointed. Rule of thumb for these things, if driven reasonably, not like a grandma by not like Andretti either, can expect roughly in the 2 miles per kWh.
He clarified and most could have deduced that from his statement of not starting tracking until well into his trip.

I thought you had a model X. And when did your Lightning get delivered?
Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

He clarified and most could have deduced that from his statement of not starting tracking until well into his trip.

I thought you had a model X. And when did your Lightning get delivered?
Had a Tesla Model S. Just sold it.

AMAZINGINGLY, The Rivian showed up on Tuesday and Ford Called 2 days later to say my truck was in. Picked it up Thursday night. Ordered both vehicles literally 8 days apart and both showed up within 2 days of each other. in terms of order to delivery, I guess the Ford won by 6 days. But, the Rivian did make it to my driveway 2 days sooner.
After picking up the Ford, had to leave town and just got back, so haven't had a chance to get familiar with either. I drove the Ford home from the dealer. Rivian delivered the truck on a flat bad. It has 31 miles on it, the Ford has 59 miles on it. I'm wearing them out already!! LOL

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Trip report. Round trip Portland OR to San Jose CA 1655343243872

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Trip report. Round trip Portland OR to San Jose CA 1655343283515

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Had a Tesla Model S. Just sold it.

AMAZINGINGLY, The Rivian showed up on Tuesday and Ford Called 2 days later to say my truck was in. Picked it up Thursday night. Ordered both vehicles literally 8 days apart and both showed up within 2 days of each other. in terms of order to delivery, I guess the Ford won by 6 days. But, the Rivian did make it to my driveway 2 days sooner.
After picking up the Ford, had to leave town and just got back, so haven't had a chance to get familiar with either. I drove the Ford home from the dealer. Rivian delivered the truck on a flat bad. It has 31 miles on it, the Ford has 59 miles on it. I'm wearing them out already!! LOL

1655343243872.png

1655343283515.png
Very cool!

OP
OP
First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Allroad, Honda Accord, Audi A6
That's awesome! Thanks for the writeup! There are a few blue Rivian around San Jose. I wonder if it was me?!?
only if you honked at us! would be great if it was you . . . we were on the 880 and it was evening - around 8 ish.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I just checked and our overall efficiency is at 2.21 for over 3k miles so overall that seems to be more normal. since we forgot to reset the trip odometer for the first third or so we did miss a good bit of uphill so we the trip capture probably did have more downhill . . .
My overall efficiency is 2.57mi/kWh

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Trip report. Round trip Portland OR to San Jose CA 20220616_000433

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah that isn't accurate unfortunately. That thing does around 1.9 in all the reviews I have seen. My S P100D, 85D, or Mustang Mach-E couldn't touch 3.45. The Mach-E got the closest at 3.33 and change sometimes.
Kyle got about 2.3 on his range test.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My overall efficiency is 2.57mi/kWh
That's 389 Wh/mi which is pretty good. OP's screenshot indicated 290 which is a little hard to believe but I suppose it might be possible with a consistent tail wind.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

55mph average, if nearly all highway could lead to very good efficiency compared to 65-70mph driving. Based on my rough math, I think over 3mi/kWh is totally doable at 55mph and sea level —anyone want to lend me an R1T for some testing?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

55mph average, if nearly all highway could lead to very good efficiency compared to 65-70mph driving. Based on my rough math, I think over 3mi/kWh is totally doable at 55mph and sea level —anyone want to lend me an R1T for some testing?
So 375 mile range at sea level going 55mph? I’d like to see that but sorry no my R1T is not available for testing, maybe next time.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Fifty five is about the average for the EPA highway test, I believe, and I would expect, therefore to see approximately the EPA consumption at that speed. Assuming that the battery is about 130 kWh useable (as everyone seems to do) that would mean a rated consumption of about 130000/314 = 414 Wh/mi. Three mi/kWh is 333 Wh/mi. I do believe that is possible in an R1T with a stiff tail wind but under average conditions I think its a bit of a stretch.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Took our first long trip in our R1T. We’ve taken several weekend trips, however this was our first long trip. This is our first EV so we took our time driving down in order to get used to what it’s like. Just about 1,700 miles total – Portland to Ashland; Ashland to Red Bluff; Red Bluff to San Jose; San Jose to Ashland; Ashland to Portland. Short stops and side trips - Ashland, Lake Sikiyou, Shasta (mountain and lake), and a short trip through the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. We forgot to reset the trip odometer until a bit into the trip – so only sharing about 60% of the data – highway speeds were usually over 70 and quite a bit of driving in San Jose/Santa Clara as we were there to move our son out of his dorm.

The ride!
Oh so wonderful. A joy to drive and ride in on the highway. Handled the curves like a champ. Never wanting for the ability to speed up, or slow down. Passing other vehicles was a breeze :).

People and vehicles.
Lots of thumbs up. Many inquisitive glances – what is that? A few pictures taken of us/the truck. At stops, hotels and restaurants many asked us what we thought of the truck. (we love it – we put that on repeat). Two Rivian sightings. Rivian blue on the highway in San Jose – got a honk! And a white Rivian on I-5 headed south while we were stuck in accident traffic.

Mapping and Charging.
  • The mapping function worked well and suggested charging stops. We consistently cross referenced with Plugshare and checked charger activity through that and the apps for the chargers. On the way back the truck suggested that we needed to charge earlier that I thought we would need to, that was due to the uphill drive and I hadn’t thought about that. Good balance.
  • Electrify America worked great – we saw a few Walmarts and the Vacaville premium outlets.
  • Downtown Ashland has free charging and a good amount of parking
  • Two of our hotels had free charging and got us enough of a charge on multiple days. One had Tesla chargers and the TeslaTap adapter worked perfectly. The other hotel in San Jose had Chargepoint chargers that were slow (approx. 5 kwh) and there weren’t enough of them for everyone who was staying there – timing of getting the parking spot was key.

Random notes:
  • If pets come; get a hammock!!! Our dogs were with us and we had one. Thank goodness as it turned out our dogs had a stomach flu while we were traveling. Yuck – had to hose it off at one point.
  • Should have bought a monthly member pass to Electrify America – after checking all the numbers this trip would have allowed us to save on the price per kwh and it was enough miles to justify a year’s worth of member fees.
  • Was interesting to see how we felt about free charging spots. Once you’re there, you kind of don’t want to move the truck.
  • Will bring camp chairs next time so that when we’re waiting at charging locations (with dogs) and don’t want to be in the truck we can sit under the trees in shade.
  • Got over the how far can we go / charging angst. Chargers up and down I-5 are plentiful.
  • I have WAY too many EV charging apps on my phone.

Tripodometer.jpg
Where did you find free EV charging in downtown Ashland, that would have been really nice last night.
Sponsored