First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Structural Forensics
Hey y'all! This seemed like the best place to post this. I needed to remove a tree stump from my back yard. Instead of renting a grinder, I decided to yank it with my R1T.

1st Attempt: Minimal digging and cutting of roots on the backside​
2nd Attempt: Spent about 45 min digging and cutting roots. Seemed to do the trick​
3rd Attempt: Finished her off​

I'd say it was a success. Especially since I didn't lose my back window :CWL: I did put the truck in off road mode.
Sponsored

Groshyubcha

First Name
Taras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S + Land Rover Defender Trek Edition
I love this!!!!!!!
did one with my iPace a few years ago!!!!!
Very impressive you were on the grass!

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pictures of how you attached the chain to the truck or stump? Any concerns about tearing up the lawn with the weight of the vehicle?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Shouldn't pull on a ball hitch like that.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thanks for posting. The R1T is doing real truck work. Your project manager seemed to have things under control. That's a project that he will remember for the rest of his life.

Brian

Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Hey y'all! This seemed like the best place to post this. I needed to remove a tree stump from my back yard. Instead of renting a grinder, I decided to yank it with my R1T.

1st Attempt: Minimal digging and cutting of roots on the backside​
2nd Attempt: Spent about 45 min digging and cutting roots. Seemed to do the trick​
3rd Attempt: Finished her off​

I'd say it was a success. Especially since I didn't lose my back window :CWL: I did put the truck in off road mode.
Gj! I've had straps snap on me so I only use the HD tow straps for this stuff or the winch on my other truck. Winching gives you that extra control and slow speed, but I hate putting that much force on my brakes. I'd much rather pull like you are here.

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Shouldn't pull on a ball hitch like that.
I haven't done a whole lot of stuff like this, so I'd love some insight: what are the advantages/risks associated with using the trailer hitch vs. the front tow hooks or vice versa? Thanks!

Jerk

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I haven't done a whole lot of stuff like this, so I'd love some insight: what are the advantages/risks associated with using the trailer hitch vs. the front tow hooks or vice versa? Thanks!
It’s not the hitch mount, it’s the ball, specifically. They aren’t rated to pull things in weird directions, and can snap off at the weak point on the bottom. Then they become potentially dangerous projectiles. Use a hitch-mounted recovery point in the future.

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

It’s not the hitch mount, it’s the ball, specifically. They aren’t rated to pull things in weird directions, and can snap off at the weak point on the bottom. Then they become potentially dangerous projectiles. Use a hitch-mounted recovery point in the future.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if/when I need to do something like this--very useful insight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gotmolo

gotmolo

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Structural Forensics
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pictures of how you attached the chain to the truck or stump? Any concerns about tearing up the lawn with the weight of the vehicle?
Here's a photo of how I rigged it. Grabbed a large root on the backside of the stump.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Tree Stump Pull! IMG_1980.JPG

I did tear up my grass a bit when all 4 tires spun on my 1st attempt. Unlike the hair on my head, it'll grow back.

Just FYI, for all those folks watching this and thinking of all the things that could go wrong, I've done this (with my 1986 F250) at least 2 times prior. I knew what to expect. I'm a huge fan of the tire method. IMO really helps in 2 main ways:

1. Redirects the force more upward
2. Helps cushion the chain

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It doesn't have to snap during this event to be a problem either, if the metal stretches out it could lead to eventual fatigue failure while towing.