Sponsored

R1T Trailer lighting wiring harness and or plug interface?

mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

I see no reference to a wiring harness, plug or interface for trailer lights in the RIT manuel. Anyone know or have seen what may come standard ?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's a standard 7-pin connector. Brake controller is integrated.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I see no reference to a wiring harness, plug or interface for trailer lights in the RIT manuel. Anyone know or have seen what may come standard ?
In the manual on pages 142-145 talks about trailer towing, but I don't see anything specific to the wiring harness either. ? Guess we'll have to ask for that specifically.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
7 pin only with built in trailer brakes, from a video review.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
7 pin only with built in trailer brakes, from a video review.
Or unbraked/surge brakes. 4 pin with an adapter. It will autodetect electric brakes.

Sponsored

bmac

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Navigator, 2014 Audi S4, 2018 GT350 Mustang
I saw in the Owner's Guide that the R1T is only rated for 5000 pounds unless using a weight distributing hitch which then increases the tow rating to 11,000 pounds. Does anyone know if this applies to towing boats? I have never seen this limiting factor with other truck manufacturers, they just list the towing capacity. Do boat trailers have weight distributing hitches and do they work with surge brakes? I reached out to CS and they didn't know but would get back to me. I had planned to use the R1T to tow my 8500 pound wakeboard boat including the trailer, but now I am concerned this vehicle won't work for me. Does anyone have thoughts on this topic?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Or unbraked/surge brakes. 4 pin with an adapter. It will autodetect electric brakes.
Your on your own for the 4 pin, but adapters are $5.

I saw in the Owner's Guide that the R1T is only rated for 5000 pounds unless using a weight distributing hitch which then increases the tow rating to 11,000 pounds. Does anyone know if this applies to towing boats? I have never seen this limiting factor with other truck manufacturers, they just list the towing capacity. Do boat trailers have weight distributing hitches and do they work with surge brakes? I reached out to CS and they didn't know but would get back to me. I had planned to use the R1T to tow my 8500 pound wakeboard boat including the trailer, but now I am concerned this vehicle won't work for me. Does anyone have thoughts on this topic?
Most all manufactures of a similar size truck have this limitation. You either need need to add weight distributing bars to your trailer, or just tow it anyways.

The only exception would be a large 1 ton truck with a oversized hitch.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What’s the tongue weight of your boat+trailer? That’s the biggest thing probably.

bmac

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Navigator, 2014 Audi S4, 2018 GT350 Mustang
What’s the tongue weight of your boat+trailer? That’s the biggest thing probably.
I haven't measured it myself, but from what I have researched it should be around 800 pounds.
Sponsored