Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Sorry for the crappy night pics, but I guess I have my 1st real story to start telling. I drove to Garden City, UT (Bear Lake...yes the one from the launch vids) from SLC today. 1st long distance drive in the Riv and, oh my. This is not an owner biased, subjective (to extent possible) report. This truck does handle unbelievably well on interstates and one off, desolate freeway roads. I kept looking at it, being more the size of a Tacoma than a Tundra, over the last 2 weeks and scratching my chin. Well, this is indeed truly a heavy duty truck. On said drive, several times I switched back and forth from cruise to pedal, and it still anticipates upcoming, darkly lit hard curves and makes the driver aware. I'm used to this route as I've done it dozens and dozens of times in several trucks, SUVs, and my S6. The R1T was much more like, if not better than, my S6 prior experiences. There were zero "whoa" curves and I felt totally confident in taking them rather aggressively, even in the dark.

Upon arrival, I went and hooked the boat up. I can't really put into words how solid it felt pulling a 25' boat out of storage and to our place on the lake. Kind of dumbfounded right now. Much less feel of towing something that big, even compared to my big ass Tundra. Solid is the only word I have right now.

Tomorrow will involve a launch and retrieve. Sorry, no beach launch like the videos everyone is talking about. Just the ramp. However, after a lot of back and forth decision making to take the Tundra or the Riv, I took the Riv. I am also going going to go ahead with towing the boat back to SLC tomorrow evening via I-80. With the short tow this eve, I feel A LOT more confident that it will exceed my expectations. Yes, I'm knocking on wood right now...but I currently have more faith in the Rivian's performance than I do with any boat. Stay tuned...

Side note: The Riv was at 100% leaving SLC and was at 67% in Evanston. I took the gnarly Parley's Canyon I-80 climb very hardcore and spent some precious charge in doing so. I stopped at the EA charging station in Evanston, WY on the way up to top off the charge. It has four 150s and four 350s. Somewhat surprisingly, it was vacant. I hooked up to the 350 and it gave an estimated top off time of 1hr 7mins. Well, it was full in 18 mins even with the "ramp down" for the final 10%. Wow! Evanston is oil/MAGA country and there happened to be a guy in an F-150 stopped next to my truck and looking at it when I came out of the grocery store...he rapidly left when he saw me approaching the charging RIV. Not sure what to make of that just yet.

Anyway, I arrived at my destination as planned. Tomorrow is another day....

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Towing Trip - The "little" engine (motor) that could. 20220909_015047

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Towing Trip - The "little" engine (motor) that could. 20220909_015120
Sponsored

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...Evanston is oil/MAGA country and there happened to be a guy in an F-150 stopped next to my truck and looking at it when I came out of the grocery store...he rapidly left when he saw me approaching the charging RIV. Not sure what to make of that just yet...
He's just living somewhere tough to be electrically curious.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ha ha, I guess. I actually see more Teslas here than F-150s. I'll take it any day over California, where I also have two condos. What a shitshow that state is.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Daylight. Ski-rope sucked into impeller. Boats... season's over. Spent an hour with my neighbor trying to get the grate off. Nope, engine has to be lifted. Fuck. 12 girls wanted to go for a ride. Nope, I wasn't driving it either....we'll leave it at that.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Towing Trip - The "little" engine (motor) that could. 20220909_110319

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Great to hear the good news Jake!

Do you happen to know the approx. weight of the boat + trailer package?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4600ish with trailer.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ thank you!

My boat + trailer is about 3'500lbs so I'm anticipating good towing results too.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, next OTA needs to allow backup with doors open...even with kickass camera. Those of you "in the know" understand it's a fine toothed comb aligning trailer. Goldilocks.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Towed it back to SLC. It became all the more apparent to me just how solid and heavy the Riv is. Wasn't anything like towing in with the Tundra...in a VERY good way. I'm always 110% on point while towing, but it was impossible to ignore the "thumbs up"s I got on this trip. Regardless of the attention it got...damn, it is truly a wolf.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot damn on I-80 tow. I was planning to be out on the lake today, but a suck up of ski rope into impeller cut that short. Anyway, tow load cut cruise estimate by 50%. I made it from GC to SLC with 16% remaining, and with the Scarab which is definitely a huge tow "tow sock" drag. One worthy note, there were 3 rock spitting semis all Ina row, going about 80mph ahead of me....once I saw the chance, I went for it and blew by them at 105mph...then chilled back down to 83mph. Rivian didn't struggle one bit to get to 105mph with 25ft boat behind it.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Hot damn on I-80 tow. I was planning to be out on the lake today, but a suck up of ski rope into impeller cut that short. Anyway, tow load cut cruise estimate by 50%. I made it from GC to SLC with 16% remaining, and with the Scarab which is definitely a huge tow "tow sock" drag. One worthy note, there were 3 rock spitting semis all Ina row, going about 80mph ahead of me....once I saw the chance, I went for it and blew by them at 105mph...then chilled back down to 83mph. Rivian didn't struggle one bit to get to 105mph.
Fun fact time: most trailer wheel Tire assemblies are not balanced. 🫣

Last edited:

Turnipsaregreat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rickgeorgerealestate.com
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Occupation
Realtor
Garden City has my favorite charging station in the state (at least while I'm still stuck driving a Leaf). Free charging right next to burgers and local raspberry shakes.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yeah, next OTA needs to allow backup with doors open...even with kickass camera. Those of you "in the know" understand it's a fine toothed comb aligning trailer. Goldilocks.
And, reverse with "butt off the seat" for those steep ramps and when backing down with short trailers like Jetski trailers that jackknife if you turn the wheel 1/4" off center.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
One worthy note, there were 3 rock spitting semis all In a row, going about 80mph ahead of me....once I saw the chance, I went for it and blew by them at 105mph...then chilled back down to 83mph. Rivian didn't struggle one bit to get to 105mph.
.. while pulling a trailer... amazing!!

So, now when someone ask how fast your boat is, you can honestly say "I had her up to 105mph!!"... lol
Sponsored