Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nice tow report. It’s critical to be confident and attentive while towing, but really hard to have both. Nice to hear the Rivian was so solid.

Did not realize the Scarabs were jet boats, she’s a sharp looking center console.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
.. while pulling a trailer... amazing!!

So, now when someone ask how fast your boat is, you can honestly say "I had her up to 105mph!!"... lol
Yeah, was nuts. Yep, it's a jet boat and does 57 up at 6500 above sea level. No bullshitting here...it jumped to 105mph on I-80. I didn't even realize until I looked at the screen. Sure didn't feel like 105.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Garden City has my favorite charging station in the state (at least while I'm still stuck driving a Leaf). Free charging right next to burgers and local raspberry shakes.
A Utah Man am I. Go Utes!

MarcyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
^ thank you!

My boat + trailer is about 3'500lbs so I'm anticipating good towing results too.
We tow a 7000+ lb toy hauler and find it to work very well - you hardly know there's a travel trailer back there. Besides the range drop, of course.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We tow a 7000+ lb toy hauler and find it to work very well - you hardly know there's a travel trailer back there. Besides the range drop, of course.
Wow, that's some payload. Pics please.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Utah Man am I. Go Utes!
I have a Riv charger at home, but if you're going to Bear Lake much, the 350 EA in Evanston is ridiculously fast.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I failed to mention that I started getting some trailer sway at one point on I-80. Speed limit was 80 and I was doing about 84. The truck sensed it and immediately took over and slowed me down to 75. The slight trailer sway wasn't what scared me. It was the truck warnings and takeover of speed. It sucked because I was passing a guy, then I suddenly slowed down right next to him. I waved the "sorry" wave but I'm sure he was like wtf. I won't be towing a lot, but I'll need to keep that in mind. It didn't sway at all when I passed that chain of semis. Must have been some waves in the road when it did. I didnt like how rapidly the truck slowed down. Seemed dangerous. I could have easily backed it down. Trailer started swaying more with rapid slow down. Something to keep in mind while you guys are towing.

And, oh yeah, no transmission. Amazing. There are some steep climbs going to Bear Lake, but even with tow mode in my Tundra, I still have to watch my RPMs, and some of those downshifts can seem rather violent. None of that with Rivian

Last edited:

MarcyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, that's some payload. Pics please.
I'm just working on a blog post describing our trip around some western states this summer; will post a link when it's done.

Quick recap - towing/driving performance is awesome, very easy and stable. Range drops to about half on average (and seems greatly affected by wind, in addition to the obvious elevation changes). Planning is required for charging, and it helps to stay at RV parks as part of that plan. We're getting good at unhooking/rehooking to charge at most DCFC's; the rare spots that we can just pull into are SO appreciated.

We know this isn't something most travel trailer owners might want to put up with, but we are loving being all-electric finally, so it's worth it for us.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Towing Trip - The "little" engine (motor) that could. IMG_6269.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Towing Trip - The "little" engine (motor) that could. IMG_6273a

Our website needs some updating related to our tow vehicle, obviously!
https://allelectricproject.com/
Sponsored