Sponsored

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
I messaged this couple several times on their journey. The guys at TLF missed or at least didn't share several points I observed that may have helped this couple. I think at the beginning of their journey they did not realize the impact of the charging curve and how much it tapers as you get into it. Early in their trip, they were stopping at around 30% and then charging to 80% or more. I and others were suggesting if it would fit their travel plans to get lower into SOC as DCFC could add more miles faster. Another major factor was many times they noted their speed of 75-80 mph, which is a major blow to the range and overall travel time. A third factor, it seemed they were using multiple apps to find charging stations and possibly not using Rivian software sometimes? If that is true, I would doubt the R1T would be preparing the battery pack in anticipation of charging which may also lead to extended charging times.
Thanks for pointing out your Third Factor..I hardly ever see that mentioned in our forums here (maybe I don’t read enough). And I do recall seeing somewhere how the Rivian routing function will apparently prep the battery in some fashion based on a planned charger stop. I assume it’s essentially getting it to the best temp; but maybe something else.
As far as this particular experience goes it’s not too surprising or worrying for me personally. Towing that distance, on the 20” wheels, during colder temps, and apparently at 70+ mph over several legs..with perhaps less than optimal planning as you point out..that’s reality.
My biggest worry and still TBD..are the weights, loads etc for the Max Pack I’ve ordered. CS will not yet address my questions for that type of details.
Sponsored

GOLFISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Ridgline, Subaru Outback, Odyssey, Prius
Towing is likely going to be worse with the max pack. A lot more weight adding 50 kwh worth of battery to the vehicle and to accelerate and move. This is not a heavy nor a high wind resistant load tow vehicle. They are towing the mustang on the trailer which is an easy towing load. 4000 lb car and 2500 lb trailer that is low and minimal wind resistance on such a load compared to an enclosed. This Rivian will be great for local tows but if you are going to pull a full size camper, or anything heavier it should be local. People need to set there expectations appropriately and buy the right tool for the job.

Rivian should be ahead of this and explaining to purchasers through the press on what to expect as I can see some that might be buying this for want to tow 200-300 miles a day and are going to provide alot of negative press for the company.
The trailer in total may be low. But that front tool box is like a brick wall. Then the air circles down over it creating a huge drag before then hitting the Mustang. Aerodynamicly the car should be up by the box. Put that would disrupt balance and put too much weight on hitch

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Interesting tidbits in here.
Sponsored