First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I don’t know why this is a surprise or an unexpected issue. I don’t tow, but it just seems like basic physics.

Ride a bicycle in flat ground. Then ride it uphill. Then ride it while towing a kid on a bike trailer. See how your legs feel. You use more energy. So does the truck. I guess the issue is the energy for an EV is harder to come by and takes longer to regain, but these are all know issues.
Sponsored

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Towing a 3500lb setup through Western Maine (50 mph-ish) no highway in a Model X performance was about 145 miles range on 310 rated.

This checks out depending on temps and weight.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
A couple things:

Remember that I believe this person was moving from IL to CA, so he's driving at night, in late November. I can't quite make out the temp reading on the display, but if I had to make a guess at what I'm seeing, it's 40 degrees. That's a 15-20% range hit right there. I said it before elsewhere, but all of these one-off photos of the range for the next several months have to take that context into consideration (until they start coming from CA locales).

What temp does he have the AC set to - 78 degrees or 68? Does he have it on at all? Was this taken at elevation and therefore the battery had been depleted by elevation gain? Was it the opposite?

People have mentioned the speed also being a possible hit, but you'd have to know what the average speed had been while depleting the battery. The 73mph is only a snapshot at that moment. He could have averaged more or less speed since charging.

Regarding using the phone for Nav, it's possible that he wanted to keep the range display on bc of worry, so it made sense to use phone for nav in this use case. Personally, I'd want the vehicle to know my route so that the range estimate was more accurate. Especially if I'm crossing the Rockies (not sure where he is right at this moment).....That does raise a good point, I wonder if there is the ability to split screen NAV and Range info, similar to how they have the audio be a side bar.

Lastly, as others have said, this isn't a discussion of Rivian range while towing, it's a general discussion of how towing impacts range, which is nothing new. It's physics/math, and the equation has no idea what make/model of vehicle being used. Said another way, the effect of towing will be identical no matter what is pulling it (within reason, I suppose pulling it with a semi would have less impact because the form factor creates an air void behind it allowing for the two to effectively draft behind it). So really, these discussions should be on the range of effect different things you might tow have - e.g. does towing a car like this reduce range 40% vs. 60% for a large camper? They have said it all averages out to about 50%, but that comes down to both weight and aero of what is being towed.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Plenty of time to flip back and forth between Nav/Range/Music if you must have everything gigantically displayed on the large screen.
With such a large center screen, it's a huge miss, imo, if Rivian doesn't support some kind of split-screen view.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What does Tesla do, because that is probably a good indication of what Rivian will do.
I'm not a Tesla expert, but it appears that audio interface is available in either a split-screen view or as a modal popup below the navigation.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Towing Range Sneak Peek — 44 Miles of Predicted Range with 37% Battery Remaining 1638203169349

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm not a Tesla expert, but it appears that audio interface is available in either a split-screen view or as a modal popup below the navigation.

1638203169349.png
Oh, sorry, I meant for other applications. We already know that Rivian audio appears as a vertical sidebar on the right side of the screen. I'm wondering whether you can have the screen split for other info in a Tesla.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Oh, sorry, I meant for other applications. We already know that Rivian audio appears as a vertical sidebar on the right side of the screen. I'm wondering whether you can have the screen split for other info in a Tesla.
I'm not sure. I'll have to defer to someone who is more well versed in Tesla-land.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm not sure. I'll have to defer to someone who is more well versed in Tesla-land.
I'm thinking it would be cool to allow for dragging and "snapping" views/apps into pre-determined vertical tiles kind of like you can do with windows on a computer, but you can also just elect to show any full screen.

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
With such a large center screen, it's a huge miss, imo, if Rivian doesn't support some kind of split-screen view.
Guessing this will be a customer driven feature. If enough customers are vocal about a huge miss of any kind let alone how/what data is displayed on which screen...it will be changed down the road.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It's a point in time snapshot, at night, in the cold, with AT tires, at a high speed and a large trailer. Additionally, we are all basing this on a guess-o-meter, and assumptions it's linear and accurate. The FAQ says half range at full towing load and I do not see anything here not in line with these assumptions.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
You could do a vertically split the center screen on Model S/X (which had a vertical screen) a long time ago but that feature was removed via an OTA "upgrade". Not all OTA updates are improvements.

On Teslas with two screens (as rivian has) the you get some nav on the driver screen even when the center screen is used for something else. On Tesla's with one screen, you directions are pushed over onto the side panel (under speedometer) when the map is covered by something else. Either way you still get directions when the map is covered.

I would expect rivian to do the same. Directions will be on the driver screen even when the map is covered.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
It's a point in time snapshot, at night, in the cold, with AT tires, at a high speed and a large trailer. Additionally, we are all basing this on a guess-o-meter, and assumptions it's linear and accurate. The FAQ says half range at full towing load and I do not see anything here not in line with these assumptions.
Our culture has evolved (devolved?) to the point where nothing anyone says is true until verified on social media.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
If Rivian would allow there “ customers “ to actually give out information about the vehicle they have purchased then maybe we would have some third party information wouldn’t we.
I don’t like the gag on social media postings at the moment either but I sort of get it as we should all be honest to admit that they are essentially using employees for extended beta testing. I just with Rivian would be honest about this method themselves.
Sponsored