Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I want to add an update of praise here to the the Rivian support team. They hands down provide the best support of any company I’ve ever dealt with. I decided to call support just to front run my insurance conversation and make sure I knew what Rivian suggests for collision repair and what to do if the vehicle is totaled. I spoke to Dominique and Tisha (I really hope I’m spelling her name right!) about the situations and they were so helpful getting me info on certified collision centers and what to do if it’s totaled. I really want to praise Tisha because she was not only so compassionate to my situation but genuinely gave me a pep talk about how rivian will have my back and get me in a new vehicle if needed. It was one of the most positive conversations I’ve ever had in a difficult time. Tisha and the rest of the team really do care about their customers. I really hope the rivian team reads these forum posts because they need to know how good your team is. They’ve made my day.

I’ll give an update on the actual damage costs once I have a number 🤞
Good to hear that Rivian will help to get you into a new Rivian, if this is totaled. Do you have the Rivian insurance, or some other insurance?
Edit: I see that you have already answered the question - you have State Farm (as do I).
Sponsored

Last edited:

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black R1S, '23 Pacifica Hybrid, '17 Grand Sport CE
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

If accidents like these keep creating total losses for Rivians and other similar vehicles, I wonder what will happen to electric vehicle insurance premiums. This wouldn't come close to totalling most ICE vehicles.

Glad to know it did its job on the safety front though, keeping you unhurt!

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Just imagine owning a gigacasted/structural battery pack Model Y.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
OP...FWIW, I suffered minor damage when a young man backed into me while I was parked. The Rivian certified repair facility in Colorado Springs has been good despite a SNAFU ordering the parts (another story). Regardless, they have ended up replacing the whole side of the "bed" and my understanding is they cut the side panel at the C-pillar and bottom of the rear door jam...so, they can piece together parts of the "one-piece" side panel. Obviously, you'd also need a door, etc.

I hope they total the truck for you but I also wouldn't be surprised if they choose to fix the $100k plus vehicle. If they fix, be sure to pursue diminished value. I have USAA and plan to pursue this with them...in fact my adjuster advised it.

One last thing...be sure to request a "comparable" vehicle when you get your rental. In my case, since there aren't any Luxury Performance, Electric Trucks available to rent, I convinced them to put me in a lux/perf vehicle and ended up with a brand new (~2400miles) 2023 Porsche Panamera 4 for my rental. I'll suffer through having the Porsche but will sure be glad to have my truck back!

Best of luck to you sir and glad you and family weren't injured!

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
the driver stated she was trying to get out in traffic fair enough to see around the jeep (who was blocking the intersection view and really caused this issue. He was parked in the street. He also immediately took off after it happened without saying a word) but with the speed she went into me I don’t get it. It seems like she was going for it. I’m not sure if she was intending to go left or right.
I can't see her lane even allowing a left turn, and it looks like she was turning left.

It's as if she became upset that the Jeep wasn't going quickly enough and made the decision to go around him, and then used blind faith or something because there was no way she'd be able to see. Her best option was to angle it to take a right, and go around the block.

The Jeep driver really should have stuck around. If I was the Jeep driver I'd feel compelled to stay because of my vantage point in the accident.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alex D

Alex D

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
Good to hear that Rivian will help to get you into a new Rivian, if this is totaled. Do you have the Rivian insurance, or some other insurance?
Edit: I see that you have already answered the question - you have State Farm (as do I).
Ha, well I may have spoken to soon. While Tish was amazing my actual guide was less helpful. They basically told me to start from scratch, place a new res and hope for the best. They quoted 1-4 months for a new res. The conversation didn't have quite the same love and support, but oh well.

So far I haven't received a quote for the damage. The truck finally made it to the Rivian certified shop today so I'm hoping to get the estimate tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on how things progress with statefarm as well as they are handling the claim for now and will bill back to travelers.

OP
OP
Alex D

Alex D

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
OP...FWIW, I suffered minor damage when a young man backed into me while I was parked. The Rivian certified repair facility in Colorado Springs has been good despite a SNAFU ordering the parts (another story). Regardless, they have ended up replacing the whole side of the "bed" and my understanding is they cut the side panel at the C-pillar and bottom of the rear door jam...so, they can piece together parts of the "one-piece" side panel. Obviously, you'd also need a door, etc.

I hope they total the truck for you but I also wouldn't be surprised if they choose to fix the $100k plus vehicle. If they fix, be sure to pursue diminished value. I have USAA and plan to pursue this with them...in fact my adjuster advised it.

One last thing...be sure to request a "comparable" vehicle when you get your rental. In my case, since there aren't any Luxury Performance, Electric Trucks available to rent, I convinced them to put me in a lux/perf vehicle and ended up with a brand new (~2400miles) 2023 Porsche Panamera 4 for my rental. I'll suffer through having the Porsche but will sure be glad to have my truck back!

Best of luck to you sir and glad you and family weren't injured!
Thank you for your insights!

I'm surprised they can cut the piece since the whole side of the car is one steel piece? That seems like an incredible undertaking.

Right now they have me in a gladiator but depending on how the actual estimate comes back I think I will definitely push for the comparable car.

And thank you for brining up the diminished value. I've now heard that twice and I'm really glad to know about it. Honestly, the sad reality is I will most likely sell the truck either once its repaired or via a totaled payout. These cars have wayyy to many electronics and whatnot to be comfortable with any repair. There's just to many little details. For example, after the crash the front passenger door no longer aligned and was slightly catching on the body panel. Theres so many little things that happen in these impacts that I just don't trust. So I think diminished value is going to be a big deal here.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thank you for your insights!

I'm surprised they can cut the piece since the whole side of the car is one steel piece? That seems like an incredible undertaking.

Right now they have me in a gladiator but depending on how the actual estimate comes back I think I will definitely push for the comparable car.

And thank you for brining up the diminished value. I've now heard that twice and I'm really glad to know about it. Honestly, the sad reality is I will most likely sell the truck either once its repaired or via a totaled payout. These cars have wayyy to many electronics and whatnot to be comfortable with any repair. There's just to many little details. For example, after the crash the front passenger door no longer aligned and was slightly catching on the body panel. Theres so many little things that happen in these impacts that I just don't trust. So I think diminished value is going to be a big deal here.
My understanding is that the body of the truck is made of aluminum which is a bit more difficult to work with than steel...and that's the part that has me concerned...how to cut the material in a very visible area, weld it back together and not have some warping. I suppose I'll find out soon as the body shop reported on Tuesday that the truck was in paint. Here's hoping!

Again, best of luck and I hope you're totalled...be way better to start over with a new truck!

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Ha, well I may have spoken to soon. While Tish was amazing my actual guide was less helpful. They basically told me to start from scratch, place a new res and hope for the best. They quoted 1-4 months for a new res. The conversation didn't have quite the same love and support, but oh well.

So far I haven't received a quote for the damage. The truck finally made it to the Rivian certified shop today so I'm hoping to get the estimate tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on how things progress with statefarm as well as they are handling the claim for now and will bill back to travelers.
You're definitely moving along faster than me. I was involved in an incident and it took a week for the insurance company to determine their adjusters couldn't assess the damage and it had to go to a body shop. The Rivian certified shop then took two weeks to take everything apart and put together a detailed estimate. Body shop needs further information from Rivian to complete the estimate and I've lost another week for that. Now, about four weeks in, I'm still waiting for a number on what it'll cost to fix and what the next steps are.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You're definitely moving along faster than me. I was involved in an incident and it took a week for the insurance company to determine their adjusters couldn't assess the damage and it had to go to a body shop. The Rivian certified shop then took two weeks to take everything apart and put together a detailed estimate. Body shop needs further information from Rivian to complete the estimate and I've lost another week for that. Now, about four weeks in, I'm still waiting for a number on what it'll cost to fix and what the next steps are.
From my experience. My incident occurred on 7 Feb, Rivian certified repair facility viewed the truck on 8 Feb, initial estimate received on 10 Feb. Parts were "ordered" and I began to wait.

In late April, after being assured again by the body shop that Rivian was "back-ordered" on the parts, I reached out directly to Rivian. Within 3-4 days, Rivian reached back and notified me that the parts were readily available and, although an inquiry had been made by my certified repair facility, the parts HAD NEVER ACTUALLY BEEN ORDERED! :angry:

I call my repair facility and, upon asking for the gentleman I had been working with for months, was informed that he no longer worked there...hmmm. I relayed what Rivian had told me, they investigated, and parts were finally ordered. I dropped the truck off last Monday, 22 May, and it's being worked on now.

Lots of delays but they appear to be the fault of my repair shop and not Rivian. BTW...Rivian has continued to contact me to track completion of my repairs. This is astounding behavior from a manufacturer and is indicative of their (in my experience) genuine concern for the satisfaction of their customers.

I recommend you stay on top of your repair shop and if you seem to be overly delayed, ask lots of questions. Good luck!

Sponsored

kayabusa

First Name
Leandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Printer
Just in time for the Dashcam software ! You can kiss goodbye your truck and start planning for your new one.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Today’s a sad day. I got my truck a year ago yesterday and today it died.

I was driving down a street and was t-boned by an oblivious driver and Sent sideways into a street light. No one was injured but man it’s A sad end to my truck. Thanks to gear guard the accident is well documented. And thank god the other driver had insurance because they’re going to need it.

so anyone want to guess on the repair costs? My guess is totaled.

70683180771__429AC6A8-97D9-4266-BBC1-5CDEEE657A67.jpeg
IMG_3109.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg

Insane video... just glad you're okay though. If you've got to replace it, will you be getting another Rivian?

OP
OP
Alex D

Alex D

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
Insane video... just glad you're okay though. If you've got to replace it, will you be getting another Rivian?
Thank you - Honestly, I’m not sure. I’ve absolutely loved the truck but I have a hard time with the increased pricing. I’m sure insurance will make me whole but for me, I’m not sure I want to daily a 100k truck. For some reason my mind sees a difference between an 80k and 100k price point and my willingness to offroad it. I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion but I’m debating what I want to do.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Thank you - Honestly, I’m not sure. I’ve absolutely loved the truck but I have a hard time with the increased pricing. I’m sure insurance will make me whole but for me, I’m not sure I want to daily a 100k truck. For some reason my mind sees a difference between an 80k and 100k price point and my willingness to offroad it. I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion but I’m debating what I want to do.
I wouldn't spend a lot of time or energy whether or not you opinions are unpopular. But then again, I'm not your significant other. "To thine own self be true", as some unpopular person once said. :)

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
I don't blame you for wanting to go for something with a lower price. Rivians are cool, but for daily use I wouldn't want to risk damaging it.
Sponsored