First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
These three screen shots from "The Long Weekend" (https://bit.ly/2OWG5Fi) clearly show the behavior of the brake lights and running lights. It seems that the running light across the tail gate does NOT light up when the brakes are pressed. But, the safety lights above the rear window do, and two additional red lights on the back corners appear BELOW the running light.

Brakes on:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights tail lights 1

As the truck approaches the hitchhiker (at 3:13), the right signal light is on AND the brake. Both of the right corner lights flash on and off.

Brakes on and right signal flashing off:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights tail lights 2

Once the driver lets up off of the brake, it's just the running lights again.

No signal or brakes:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights running lights

I am in love with these fog lights (at least that seems to be the purpose) from the Cold Weather Testing video:

Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 1614471439505

Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 1614471821890

Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 1614471886684

compare to the truck in front of it which doesn't have the fog lights turned on:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 1614471487864

Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 1614471534870

Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 1614471457926
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
These three screen shots from "The Long Weekend" (https://bit.ly/2OWG5Fi) clearly show the behavior of the brake lights and running lights. It seems that the running light across the tail gate does NOT light up when the brakes are pressed. But, the safety lights above the rear window do, and two additional red lights on the back corners appear BELOW the running light.

Brakes on:
tail lights 1.png

As the truck approaches the hitchhiker (at 3:13), the right signal light is on AND the brake. Both of the right corner lights flash on and off.

Brakes on and right signal flashing off:
tail lights 2.png

Once the driver lets up off of the brake, it's just the running lights again.

No signal or brakes:
running lights.png

I am in love with these fog lights (at least that seems to be the purpose) from the Cold Weather Testing video:

1614471439505.png

1614471821890.png

1614471886684.png

compare to the truck in front of it which doesn't have the fog lights turned on:
1614471487864.png

1614471534870.png

1614471457926.png
Nice catch....I also like the fog lights and hope that is part of the standard package or LE!

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I hope the controls for the back and front fog lights are separate. Sometimes front fog lights make it harder to see in the snow. But nice to have the extra rear red lights.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I hope the controls for the back and front fog lights are separate. Sometimes front fog lights make it harder to see in the snow. But nice to have the extra rear red lights.
Agreed. I also like to drive with my front fogs on, at night, as they often provide more wide illumination -- quite useful to see into the treeline/ditch when traveling rural back roads. I don't want my rear fog light on under those circumstances.

Both of my current vehicles have the front and rear fog lights operable by different switches.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Agreed. I also like to drive with my front fogs on, at night, as they often provide more wide illumination -- quite useful to see into the treeline/ditch when traveling rural back roads. I don't want my rear fog light on under those circumstances.

Both of my current vehicles have the front and rear fog lights operable by different switches.
When running your headlights, you have a giant red Tron beacon crossing the entire back of the vehicle, but you don't want small rear lights in the bumper to be on when you're using fog lights?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When running your headlights, you have a giant red Tron beacon crossing the entire back of the vehicle, but you don't want small rear lights in the bumper to be on when you're using fog lights?
If they were DIM like the running lights and then got brighter when you applied the brake, then I'd be fine with it.

But if you watch the videos you'll see that the rear fog lights are BRIGHTER than the running lights (as rear fog lights should be).

In my area, both my wife and I have experienced people shouting at us at stop lights when we (properly) use our rear fog lights. I really don't want to deal with that on EVERY trip -- especially when rear fog lights aren't necessary.

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
This seemed the most focused thread to bring this up. But I really hope that Rivian utilizes that rear LED bar to make the brake lights larger, safer and generally "cooler". I personally find how they are currently implemented to be really small and don't "match" the size and sophistication of the vehicle.

Hopefully something neat like this:

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
This seemed the most focused thread to bring this up. But I really hope that Rivian utilizes that rear LED bar to make the brake lights larger, safer and generally "cooler". I personally find how they are currently implemented to be really small and don't "match" the size and sophistication of the vehicle.

Hopefully something neat like this:

I was hoping for something like that too, or at least a flash when first stepping on the brake, that makes it more intense, especially considering how small the actual brake lights are on the product models. Seems like it could be an update… fingers crossed ?

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
I think the DOT won’t allow turn/brake lights on the tail gate if the vehicle can be driven with it down. Maybe R1S can have it though.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think the DOT won’t allow turn/brake lights on the tail gate if the vehicle can be driven with it down. Maybe R1S can have it though.
They can ALSO exist on the tailgate, but they must have visible turn signals and brake lights even when the tailgate is down.

The Audi Q7 is an example of a vehicle where the tail/brake lights are normally on the tailgate (moveable body panel) but when the tailgate is opened, auxiliary lights in the bumper illuminate to take over that function.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see why Rivian couldn't have used the brake lights they did but also augment them with additional lights on the tailgate. If the small lights they have now meet DOT requirements, then the additional lights on the tailgate would be an added safety bonus when the tailgate is up but not cause a compliance issue with the tailgate down.

But that's just my opinion.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
They can ALSO exist on the tailgate, but they must have visible turn signals and brake lights even when the tailgate is down.

The Audi Q7 is an example of a vehicle where the tail/brake lights are normally on the tailgate (moveable body panel) but when the tailgate is opened, auxiliary lights in the bumper illuminate to take over that function.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see why Rivian couldn't have used the brake lights they did but also augment them with additional lights on the tailgate. If the small lights they have now meet DOT requirements, then the additional lights on the tailgate would be an added safety bonus when the tailgate is up but not cause a compliance issue with the tailgate down.

But that's just my opinion.
The DOT states that the main lights( Brakes, running lights, and Signals ) must be attached to a non-moving part of the vehicle, and must not be blocked by the operation of moving parts ( tailgates, trunks..etc). However, the car can have other augmented/auxiliary lights elsewhere. Oddly enough, the reverse lights are not considered primary.

Rivian could have used the the bar to augment the breaks, but I am guessing they wanted to keep the wiring crossing over to the tail gate at a minimum.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Does anybody know how the headlights work? If you put a lift kit on a Jeep, you can adjust some screws to point the headlights down so you don't blind oncoming drivers. With the Rivian adjustable air suspension, do the headlights automatically adjust down?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Rear end safety would be enhanced if the LED strip in the tailgate illuminated when braking.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Jeep got away with the third brake light on the tailgate, I don’t see why Rivian couldn’t make the light bar work with the brakes. More is better in this situation.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T -  Running, Brake, Signal, and Fog lights 60B8ED36-1BA9-4ACC-A190-0C021E03AACD
Sponsored