First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Nothing too exciting here, but my wife's Himalayan broke down about an hour into a group ride on Saturday. Fortunately, I'd previously bought a couple folding ramps for the R1T. We found a safe place to stash the bike on the side of the road, then finished the day two-up on my bike. I came back in the evening and grabbed the motorcycle. No drama! A couple observations for carrying a motorcycle in the R1T:

The good:
  • With the right ramp, you can easily fit two in the gear tunnel. Game changing! I used these ramps which are nice and compact, not too spendy, carry 750lbs per ramp, and fit easily in the tunnel with room to spare for a tool bag and some soft goods to protect the doors.
  • Being able to drop the ride height to Lowest really helped the incline when loading.
  • Tailgate felt rock solid when loading.
  • The bike had plenty of room with the tailgate down. I'm confident I'd be able to fit my F800 GSA as well. Both side by side would be a lot to ask (they're both pretty wide loads) but two dirt bikes would be no problem.
The meh:
  • The R1T badly needs a way to let you select the bed camera for when a load is blocking the backup camera. It was way harder than it needed to be to reverse with the tailgate blocking the backup camera.
  • I was nervous about damaging the soft-touch top of tailgate with the sharp metal face of the ramps. I wound up just draping a sturdy blanket between them before ratcheting the ramps down, but not for the first time wish the Rivian bed/tailgate had some sturdier high-touch surfaces.
  • I didn't feel great ratcheting the bike forward into the bed wall since the wheel was pressing against the tonneau seal. I was able to secure it about a half inch back from the bed wall with some balancing tension on the rear tiedowns and it was rock solid.
Didn't get any great pics but here is what I have:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T + Royal Enfield Himalayan (Motorcycle in bed) 1660691428805

Rivian R1T R1S R1T + Royal Enfield Himalayan (Motorcycle in bed) 1660691357986
Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
This is rad. Using my truck I agree I think one of the biggest disadvantages is not being able to ratchet strap tight as you mentioned with the tonneau interference. That does need to be addressed.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Across the front of the bed, I used the four existing bolts under the plastic covers and secured an adjustable rail cut to fit the width of the truck. The motorcycle's front tire hits the rail and stands off the tonneau by about 1/2'. In addition, I have four slide/locking brackets with clips to put the hooks from my tiedowns. I can also move the brackets together and it make a cradle for stabilizing the front wheel. I have hauled my Husaberg as well as my Guzzi V85.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Now I want a bike too! Thanks guys.šŸ˜€

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
This is rad. Using my truck I agree I think one of the biggest disadvantages is not being able to ratchet strap tight as you mentioned with the tonneau interference. That does need to be addressed.
A couple 2x4s would probably work in a pinch - I have the BuiltRight molle panel on order so I'm interested to see if that helps and feels sturdy enough to ratchet against as well (not as a tie down point, just to pull the tire into it)

Sponsored

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Across the front of the bed, I used the four existing bolts under the plastic covers and secured an adjustable rail cut to fit the width of the truck. The motorcycle's front tire hits the rail and stands off the tonneau by about 1/2'. In addition, I have four slide/locking brackets with clips to put the hooks from my tiedowns. I can also move the brackets together and it make a cradle for stabilizing the front wheel. I have hauled my Husaberg as well as my Guzzi V85.
Sounds like a sweet setup! I don't plan to do this often (the occasional impromptu rescue) but may have to look into something like that if I ever get a proper dirt bike again.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Glad to finally see some motorcycles in the R1T bed. Here's another one from Reddit. Looks like this guy installed a wheel chock and it doesn't interfere with the tonneau cover.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Now I know my new Pan America will most likely fit in the back of my truck, whenever I get it that is.

diz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This sounds like a great setup. I have been thinking of doing something similar. Any photos of you could share?

Sponsored

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

When a 1250gsa gets loaded, Iā€™d like to see the pics and setup

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

This thread is filled with Enfields and Guzzis... which is great since I have an Enfield and a Guzzi that I'm looking to load up!

yetti96

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad w/ Large Compass Yellow, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

When a 1250gsa gets loaded, Iā€™d like to see the pics and setup
Has it happened yet? I need to get to my delivery and donā€™t want to ask for a 2+ hour ride from a buddy on a work day.

I was thinking about riding my 1250 GSA in hopes theyā€™d help me load it to get home without renting a trailer.

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

Havenā€™t yet but that doesnā€™t mean it hasnā€™t been done!

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Has it happened yet? I need to get to my delivery and donā€™t want to ask for a 2+ hour ride from a buddy on a work day.

I was thinking about riding my 1250 GSA in hopes theyā€™d help me load it to get home without renting a trailer.
I dunno about a 1250 but I've moved my F800GS several times, which has a longer wheelbase and bigger front wheel. It was certainly snug but no issues.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T + Royal Enfield Himalayan (Motorcycle in bed) 1702925245642

Rivian R1T R1S R1T + Royal Enfield Himalayan (Motorcycle in bed) 1702925273353
Sponsored