First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Suburban, Sprinter, XC90
Occupation
Lawyer
The Bloomberg review is so negative. Anyone else find it odd that it was the only 1 negatively-slanted review out of all 22 reviews posted so far? Pretty easy to not put too much stock into it, IMO.
That struck me as well. It read like a petulant little kid wrote it. No, the R1T isn’t going to replace work trucks; it’s not intended to do that. It’s like dissing an excellent brain surgeon because she’s not a plumber (or the other way around). Also, this individual clear does not take vehicles off road; if there are rocks involved tires will pop, even really good off-road tires. One only needs to look up a recent episode of Fast Lane Car where they manage to destroy 2 stock tired on a Land Rover Defender on the same rock in about 15 minutes.

Anyway Bloomberg just doesn’t like EVs even when they’re excellent.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Nothing about Alexa integration at all? I thought that would have been cool and unique.
One of the reviews talked about it being an OTA that they are waiting for some approval. Not sure if it was regulatory or vendor approval.

A couple others mentioned it was coming.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

One of the reviews talked about it being an OTA that they are waiting for some approval. Not sure if it was regulatory or vendor approval.

A couple others mentioned it was coming.
I guess I was just expecting after all this time that part would be ready to roll. Especially given the partnership. I will continue to be patient.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Same concern. Did anyone who went to the first mile event notice that low frame rate issue?
It's a video of video thing where frames get lost because you've got limited fidelity frame rate of limited fidelity recording of reality. And yes I saw cameras at first mile and no such issue.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
That struck me as well. It read like a petulant little kid wrote it. No, the R1T isn’t going to replace work trucks; it’s not intended to do that. It’s like dissing an excellent brain surgeon because she’s not a plumber (or the other way around). Also, this individual clear does not take vehicles off road; if there are rocks involved tires will pop, even really good off-road tires. One only needs to look up a recent episode of Fast Lane Car where they manage to destroy 2 stock tired on a Land Rover Defender on the same rock in about 15 minutes.

Anyway Bloomberg just doesn’t like EVs even when they’re excellent.
You definitely get the sense that she doesn't want to like it, even though she drops the occasional compliment. Also that it may have more to do with unsophisticated culture war politics than actual experience with the vehicle.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'm confused. Did Electrek get an invite and then opt out in favor of just showing up to interview Brian Gase instead?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It's a video of video thing where frames get lost because you've got limited fidelity frame rate of limited fidelity recording of reality. And yes I saw cameras at first mile and no such issue.
There were multiple trucks, with differing software versions. On some, there was a noted jitter in live camera feeds that is supposed to be corrected via OTA updates.

Reactions: ean

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
couple little things. tailgate piece that slides down got stuck in upward position. the tailgate doesn't seem to want to fully release when the button is pressed. video on external cameras looked terrible, not only bad frame rate, but also poor resolution. there are going to be problems, there is no way around it, but big picture... man... it's an absolute beast... definitely the mountain goat of EVs.

i thought tom M's review from inside EVs was the best. I don't care for the hipster reviewers or that guy from KBB who obviously thinks he is way funnier than he actually is. Give me Tom moloughney every day.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The Bloomberg review is so negative. Anyone else find it odd that it was the only 1 negatively-slanted review out of all 22 reviews posted so far? Pretty easy to not put too much stock into it, IMO.
That's so strange. I've always found Bloomberg to have the most insightful truck reviews out of all of the automotive press, said no one, in the history of the world......ever.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting awkward 30 seconds in the elektrek video, Brian Gase noted 200 miles in about 30 minutes. So averaging about 160kw for 20-80%. They noted 220 kW, and then he mentions with their RAN build out in the 230 to 250 range..

I found that last sentence interesting. It implies they're doing something with their chargers that other networks aren't (more current?). It's also interesting that he didn't mention 300kW. I know the motortrend guys have said Rivian mentioned thst to them, but the lack of clarity from Rivian on this topic isn't helping.

And the elektrek video was just bizarre.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Pickup truck plus SUV talk: "So between the luxury stuff, the electric motor, all the clever storage bits, the adventure key, all that stuff this is a fantastic truck if you are gonna go off road. If you just want a pickup and you want something luxury this is your only choice. I don't even know of a competitor vehicle for this. I mean maybe the F150 or the other big trucks if you load them up but this one is smaller, its faster, it can tow 11,000 pounds which is nuts for a truck of this size. I am blown away. This thing is great."
Did you see he had the wristband on as well? I really appreciated his review. Good truck/SUV point of view but not focused on just "work."

And he hit reduced regen just driving around and going downhill. Not great Bob. He didn't mention it, but I *think* someone e else had the same issue and rivian said it was a preproduction issue with the battery temp set too low. Either way, makes me wonder about how well their battery cooling is and if it's going to thermally throttle with either hard riding or regen when towing or just going down a mountain pass. I'd assume not with the bit weather tow testing g they showed off, but who knows...

Edit: it was the drive. They also hit a regen limit.
"Doubly so when you get a pop-up notification that regenerative braking has been disabled like I did while cruising along a mountain road—Rivian said this was due to battery temperature controls being set too low on the prototype, and regen came back online within moments anyway."

Last edited:

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I only noted steering feel mentioned in two reviews where one mentioned it was super light with no feedback and felt like a video game, while another (I believe Dan Carney) said it was " accurate and well-weighted".
Really hoping the latter is the production spec.

Also thought the vent behind the front wheels in the fender was pretty cool. I don't know if it's for aero concerns or cooling, but it told me a lot about the details the engineering team went through in putting this vehicle together. In one of the flat tire videos, there was also a good shot of a large vent in the fender liner above the driver's side front wheel. No clue what it's for, but it seems like it's going to get nasty in there quickly. Based on some of the times I'm in mud, it'll end up clogged up, so hopefully it's not too important.

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So one big take away from seeing all the different videos did anyone else notice the trucks in the display all match the color of the actual truck this is such a little thing but huge to me. The 2021 f150 its different colors in the display and it bugs me because they know what color the truck is they just were lazy with the programing.
Sponsored