Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah, I don't feel the need to pile on here but she definitely wanted all of us to know that she's been in tougher terrain when she spent a week in a Rolls-Royce Cullinan... [eye roll] (I wonder if that's a work truck in her eyes?)

She also claimed to have been in Moab in the "electric and hybrid" Jeep Wranglers, which is cool except for the fact that electric Jeep Wranglers don't exist yet.
Someone who deliberately pays more money to buy pants with extra holes in them says this vehicle that Is marketed as anything but a work truck should, inexorably, be a work truck. ?

Iā€™ve already got a work truck that doesnā€˜t get used for work things. I wonder if itā€™s better or worse per that author.
Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I am starting to sweat the fact that just about every review involves a blown tire.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am starting to sweat the fact that just about every review involves a blown tire.

Id actively avoid stabbing your tire with a sharp object/rock and youll be fine.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
The reviewer in Pickup truck plus Suv Talk said he heard the 21 inch wheels are a "noticeably less nice " ride than the 20 inch. at 20:55
Concerning, but seems like hearsay at this point? I have noticed that they have 20s on the vast majority for test drives.

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Concerning, but seems like hearsay at this point? I have noticed that they have 20s on the vast majority for test drives.
He also mentioned the 21s are a "harder, more packed tire". It was good news to me since I am getting the 20s.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Given the conditions iā€™m surprised there werenā€™t more.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I have watched most of the videos now and read/skimmed many of the articles. My takeaways / remaining questions:

1. Forest Edge looks WAAAY nicer than it does in the configurator. I had been planning on a Forest Green / Ocean Coast R1S, but I might have to switch to Forest Edge (probably with something other than Forest Green). Not sure if it is $2k extra nice though

2. Everyone universally is impressed with driving experience, both on and off road. The "vehicle" part seems to be totally nailed down.

3. Reviews on the software were more mixed. Some gripes about the navigation, infotainment options and driver+ functionality were present. A number of complaints of the lack of physical buttons, and no video showed the phone integration at all. Nothing totally earth shatteringly bad, but this is the area of concern for me with the car. You interact with this stuff daily, you don't want it to annoy you.

4. Related to #3: I really want to know what Alexa can do. I got the impression they are waiting for certification or something to be able to turn it on. For example. Can you change cabin temperature? Turn on/off specific air vents? Can you change ride modes?

For me personally: I am happy my R1S reservation likely won't be filled for 6-12 months. I will get to see if the software concerns I have turn out to be not a big deal and we will have some idea of Rivian's reliability and service process.

Last edited:

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Also, Adventure Journal:

Drive Test: Rivian R1T Sets a New Standard for Pickups, Gas or Electric

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2...s-a-new-standard-for-pickups-gas-or-electric/

The future lies not with half-measures like the Toyota, but all-in efforts like the Rivian. And I promise, if you drive it, the R1T will rock your world. Even if you donā€™t care about the environment (though I know you do), even if you havenā€™t heard that Rivian is partnering with the Nature Conservancy to put chargers at trailheads, even if you donā€™t know itā€™s installing chargers in all the state parks in Colorado and Tennessee, even if the adventure baked into Rivianā€™s DNA matters not, you will surely find the R1T to be the highest performance, widest-ranging, condition-adaptable vehicle yet made.
This is an absolutely excellent article from a publication I've never heard of before. Thanks for linking it!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Gonna be honest, KBB would normally be near the bottom of the list of places I'd go for a video review unless I was already on the site checking my trade in value. That said, I think the KBB video is the best of the ones I watched in that it provided entertainment and real world information that applies to day to day usage.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Anyone else surprised that Car and Driver didnā€™t get in on this? I was kind of looking forward to their review

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Gonna be honest, KBB would normally be near the bottom of the list of places I'd go for a video review unless I was already on the site checking my trade in value. That said, I think the KBB video is the best of the ones I watched in that it provided entertainment and real world information that applies to day to day usage.
Agreed, KBB video was definitely the best of the bunch.

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
I know right

RivianVanlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Anyone else surprised that Car and Driver didnā€™t get in on this? I was kind of looking forward to their review
No idea whether C&D was there or not, but I know that a few automotive journalists were upset at not being invited. Supposed to have been a pretty tight reveal.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

1. Forest Edge looks WAAAY nicer than it does in the configurator. I had been planning on a Forest Green / Ocean Coast R1S, but I might have to switch to Forest Edge (probably with something other than Forest Green). Not sure if it is $2k extra nice though
That right there. I never liked Forest Edge based on the configurator, but it looks superb in these pictures and videos. Now the only thing I don't like about it is the cost. Will probably stick to Ocean Coast and use the $2k for wheels.
Sponsored