Sponsored

R1T Registration in California deemed commercial vehicle

sillyME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aztek
Just curious, is it really the matter of vehicle curb weight for our R1T to be deemed a commercial truck with different type of license plate (rather our typical e.g 9Exxxx as now)? Even there will be no commercial use for me at all? Are we paying more into yearly registration renew fee, or insurance, because of this?

Example photos below for illustration purposes only.
Passenger type of CA plate
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Registration in California deemed commercial vehicle California_license_plate_(1994–1998)

Truck type of CA Plate
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Registration in California deemed commercial vehicle California_truck_plate_2010_series
Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, your RIT truck will be registered as a commercial vehicle in CA, and yes it will cost significantly more. They do have exceptions, but the hoops you have to jump through and the changes made to then truck wouldn't be worth it.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I believe all pickup trucks are registered as "commercial" vehicles, with an exception of those with permanent shell/camper. If with camper, then it can be registered as a regular vehicle....

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

oh man i have to do this soon as im moving into california

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have been driving a "commercial" vehicle in this state for nearly 30 years. Yes, it sucks but at least they aren't hitting us with an overweight vehicle charge like I get on my one-ton (which by the way is about the same weight as the R1).

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Helps with the section 179 deduction, does it not?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I believe all pickup trucks are registered as "commercial" vehicles, with an exception of those with permanent shell/camper. If with camper, then it can be registered as a regular vehicle....
This is correct. Look at all the trucks you pass on the road (even base level tacomas) and they have the commercial plates. Registering commercial doesn't cost significantly more by itself, but your registration will be expensive A) high purchase price -> high registration and B) you will be paying a weight fee due to the weight of the vehicle.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Yes all pickup trucks regardless of size are commercial but you can park in yellow zones which rules.
Had no ideas this was the case. Ive had SUVs most of the time and this is my first pickup so all new to me. Glad I caught this thread.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Just got my DV plates that get me Freeeeee registration, even on the new reg slip it says commercial

though the "NOFEE" line is hard to beat
Sponsored