Sponsored

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Hey all - first time poster here - I've been enviously lurking since my 9/21 pre-order!

I was holding out for Max Pack, but after the latest delay I gave in and switched to Large Pack.
I got tired of waiting, so I borrowed my buddy's R1T for an extended test drive over the holidays -- 1300 mile round trip from LA to Tuscon -- what a fun ride!

I decided to take the scenic route on the way back, following a beach path on the East side of Salton Sea.

I hit a patch that was really silty, almost clay-like, and the truck immediately sank. It was quite shocking how poorly the Riv performed on flat, silty terrain. All that weight and torque with no traction...

As soon as the truck started slipping, the mud completely filled the tread, basically turning the AT's into slicks.

I tried airing down the tires, digging a ramp in front of each tire, and throwing whatever debris I could find, but the R1T just kept sinking deeper.

I didn't have any recovery tools so I knew I was pretty screwed.

I hit the SOS button and got in contact with Rivian offroad recovery team -- they didn't have any vehicles in the area, so my options were to keep digging or abandon the vehicle and go look for help. I decided to keep digging while the rep was looking for alternate recovery options.

Eventually, I got hooked up with Kim's Towing and Offroad Recovery, which was just 20 minutes away in Bombay Beach.

Kim brought a pair of shovels and four traction boards, and we were able to self-recover within 30 min.

I was super lucky there was cell service and help around, but it's easy to imagine how it could've been a whole lot worse.

TL;DR don't be a n00b like me and go offroad without a recovery plan, even if it looks flat, dry, and easy!

Rivian R1T R1S R1T recovery needed at Salton Sea (stuck in mud). PSA: have a recovery plan when off-roading 2C39D358-ACF9-49F1-B92D-03D81D4985D8.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S R1T recovery needed at Salton Sea (stuck in mud). PSA: have a recovery plan when off-roading 4E77F837-287B-4552-AE2A-AC008A251BC9.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S R1T recovery needed at Salton Sea (stuck in mud). PSA: have a recovery plan when off-roading EA6AD98A-05B4-4ED1-A20C-3A0B2D40E7C4.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S R1T recovery needed at Salton Sea (stuck in mud). PSA: have a recovery plan when off-roading PXL_20221223_231421801.MP

Rivian R1T R1S R1T recovery needed at Salton Sea (stuck in mud). PSA: have a recovery plan when off-roading PXL_20221223_232119833.MP
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Interesting note, I was getting decent traction on the front tires, but the rear were slipping, big-time. I was hoping the Quad Riv would be smart enough to "lock" the rear, and only send power to the front, but that was not the case. I tried AP, Sand, and Rock Crawl, all with same result -- I had to let go off the accelerator to prevent rear from digging in due to heavy spin, with the front tires not rotating at all.

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

It is a 7000lb truck after all, can’t expect it to stay on top of anything soft.
After watching many vids of people driving uphil in sand, wading through water/mud, even with road/sport tires, I felt overconfident on flat terrain with AT's. Lesson learned!

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Interesting note, I was getting decent traction on the front tires, but the rear were slipping, big-time. I was hoping the Quad Riv would be smart enough to "lock" the rear, and only send power to the front, but that was not the case. I tried AP, Sand, and Rock Crawl, all with same result -- I had to let go off the accelerator to prevent rear from digging in due to heavy spin, with the front tires not rotating at all.
You have a very generous friend!

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

It is a 7000lb truck after all, can’t expect it to stay on top of anything soft.
Also, AT tires are, unfortunately, insufficient for mud and mud-like materials. Mud tires are necessary for that kind of surface.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
From the looks of how soft that is I feel like most trucks would have been in a similar predicament without recovery gear. But yes, the 7000 lb Rivian would sink even further.

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Also, AT tires are, unfortunately, insufficient for mud and mud-like materials. Mud tires are necessary for that kind of surface.
Yeah, I had no idea what was lurking underneath the crusty layer of this, it did not look muddy at all!

Rivian R1T R1S R1T recovery needed at Salton Sea (stuck in mud). PSA: have a recovery plan when off-roading PXL_20221223_205213358.MP

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Air down. Rivian included a compressor in every vehicle. Use it.

P.P.S.: I sunk the car in my profile photo up to the front bumper after attempting to back up from the photo I took here. A few sticks and copious throttle got me out.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I hit a patch that was really silty, almost clay-like, and the truck immediately sank. It was quite shocking how poorly the Riv performed on flat, silty terrain. All that weight and torque with no traction...
Sorry to see you had a tough experience and glad you got it out with minimal damage to your friend’s R1T but it seems odd that you blame the truck for it’s poor performance. From your story, you expected the Rivian to perform miracles to rescue you from your own very poor decisions. To summarize: You drove a borrowed vehicle through unknown terrain with noob off-roading skills and it’s the truck’s fault? Right… :rock:

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Sorry to see you had a tough experience and glad you got it out with minimal damage to your friend’s R1T but it seems odd that you blame the truck for it’s poor performance. From your story, you expected the Rivian to perform miracles to rescue you from your own very poor decisions. To summarize: You drove a borrowed vehicle through unknown terrain with noob off-roading skills and it’s the truck’s fault? Right… :rock:
just sharing my experience, of course it was my fault.. but thanks for the snarky comment.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
just sharing my experience, of course it was my fault.. but thanks for the snarky comment.
Sorry…more snarky than intended…just seemed an odd observation. Really am glad it turned out okay for you.

BTW…what did your buddy have to say?

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Sorry…more snarky than intended…just seemed an odd observation. Really am glad it turned out okay for you.
No sweat--the observation was at the time when I did not know what I was stuck in--I thought it was packed sand, which it was for the most part, but there were some patches that were mostly silt underneath a thin crust of shells. Not blaming the truck at all, I clearly pointed at my own lack of experience and preparation.

BTW…what did your buddy have to say?
This guy collects cars for fun, he was just glad it wasn't too much of a hastle for me.

Last edited: