Sponsored

R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Okay... To all

I'll post more but got into the R1T today at the First Mile event in Normal.

Here's the set up.

I'm 6'0" and 190lbs
Torso and legs are ah, normal? ?
Pant size 31x33

I personally got into the drivers seat of the R1T, made the adjustments so it would be my everyday seating position while driving (foot perfectly flat on dead peddle leg moderately stretched out).

Then I jumped out and got into the back seat right behind the driver's seat.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 1001211502_HDR

I had nearly a full fist's worth of knee room (my fist is 4.25") so I'll say 4" beyond my knee.

The cab is bigger then my Range Rover Sport, but less back seat reclining of course.

Really impressed with the interior size, and thought the back seat was comfortable, but as far as lumbar support... I'll say again, thought it comfortable, but not as comfortable as my Range Rover sport back seat. That however is just because the RRS has cushier seats as a whole. But room wise... R1T is totally workable for 5 passengers all 6' tall.

I will say though... Super surprised the gear tunnel steps are only rated for 250lbs (needs to be 300-350lbs IMO).

I'll again post more about my overall thoughts in the next day or so.

Getting really close! ?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Impressions...

The GOOD!

1. All colors look surprisingly good! Online vs real life... Every color looks good in real life.

2. Stand out colors for me, LA Silver, RJ Blue, and Yellow (way more muted and I thought it looked really good).

3. Interior size of the R1T are excellent, interior room is larger then a Range Rover Sport and I'd even go as so far as to say my Land Rover Discovery (1st and 2nd row that is).

4. Yes carseats will fit, yes your teenage kids will fit, yes your 6'2" friend will fit, even when a tall guy named RJ is driving (if you're lucky it'll be RJ).

5. Ocean Coast interior looks incredible. I will be changing my preorder interior. The wood accents are far less yellow then anything you've seen in pictures and more a white washed yellow wood color.

6. Both green and black interiors look good too, black however is just less interesting then I thought before after seeing it in person paired against the green and grey. This however is just personal choice.

7. CAMP KITCHEN INCLUDES THE SKID LOAD GEAR TUNNEL TRAY!! Meanaing the camp kitchen isn't 5k, its actually $3200 if you factor in the tray. That really surprised me, and makes it more interesting. Honestly knowing that the tray comes with it I think everything else is almost a bargain.

8. Yeah, it's fast (really fast even with ATT), but more so the suspension is incredible! The speed pales in comparison to how capable and dynamic the suspension is. Its just amazing, way better then my F-150 platinum, or any truck I've ever been in for that matter.

9. Front trunk is super accessible, and when the vehicle is in your everyday height for the the suspension there really isn't much of an issue getting items in and out of it. For somebody who is 6' such as myself that is, but I do however believe if you're 5'7" or below it could be somwhat high.

10. Under seat storage is good, and with the rear seat under storage, I feel you have a good deal of space to put whatever you need away.

11. Gear tunnel steps are awesome and give great roof access. Totally love them! However kind of tricky to get out of the rear seats with the gear tunnel steps down.

12. All the door bins and driver and passenger seat rear bins are expandable and super accommodating to whatever you would need to put in them. I like them more than any other car that I've had.

13. Driving cluster screen was very easy to read even in bright sunlight at least in my ride along, I had some skepticism, but didn't have any issues and was able to see everything just fine.

14. The front trunk has magnets that allow for the folding of the tray giving you access to the lower level. I thought this was very clever and it really nice way to keep everything together without having to clip or button on something to hold the tray to the wall.of the drunk.

15. The full-size spare in the rear of the bed actually has powered struts to lift a lid which is super nice. Was surprised to see this and really liked it.

Now for the "Not so good".

1. Steering wheel felt small... Surprisingly small (not a fan of the size).

2. The fit and finish is not on par with what's in my Range Rover, I didn't really expect it to be, but I would honestly liken it to the interior fit and finish to that of an Infiniti product. 100% it is better than my Ford F-150 platinum, and the nicest truck interior I have come across. As for the SUV now that's where I feel other people will be less impressed (just better interiors out their for SUV's).

3. Surprisingly the Meridian sound system was not as good as the Meridian Sound system in my Range Rover. Maybe the speakers we're a little bit off, and not equalized properly, after all everybody had probably been cranking the volume all day long so who knows. But then again for its number speakers and it's wattage, I left the event and got right into my car and the sound system definitely was better in my Range Rover. Also the subwoofer which is under the rear passenger side seat had a somewhat cheap feeling plastic aerated cover on it that didn't seem like it would do very well with repeated long term vibrations.

4. I was told you cannot drive the vehicle and access the bed camera, that is something that could only be done with the gear guard mode while stationary. Small issue but would really like to be able to have a visualizer of what's in the bed. Especially while driving. Simple fix though.

5. Gear tunnel footsteps are only rated for 250lbs, which I have a big problem with. If you're 200lbs and are trying to lift something heavy onto the roof of your R1T, you will easily exceed the 250lb rating potentially damaging the steps. Not to mention if you're 200 plus pounds and you have a 40lb bag, or heavy camping pack, you could easily exceed that weight rating while sitting. I really feel the side gear tunnel steps should be rated for 350lbs.

6. UI is good, but not Tesla good. I liked the mega screen of my previous Tesla more. Definitely more responsive, but I would say it's better than the Mustang Mach E which I've actually been in and had a chance to poke around a bit.

Overall I can't say it enough how much I like the vehicle, I'm still incredibly impressed! It's awesome! As a whole, and in its entirety the R1T truly is an amazing vehicle the likes of which I've never seen before. It definitely impressed me even more than my Model S when I first got my hands on it. I'm definitely going to go with the LA Silver and the Ocean Coast interior with the 22" wheels. And I will be changing my pre-order configuration now that I've seen it in person. I would encourage everyone else to try to do the same if you have the chance.

Here's the ocean coast, and the black, just a little shot for remote comparison. I know these pictures aren't the best, but I feel the accurately represent the interior colors.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 1001211535a_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 1001211558_HDR

Last edited:

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
R1T Impressions...

The GOOD!

1. All colors look surprisingly good! Online vs real life... Every color looks good in real life.

2. Stand out colors for me, LA Silver, RJ Blue, and Yellow (way more muted and I thought it looked really good).

3. Interior size of the R1T are excellent, interior room is larger then a Range Rover Sport and I'd even go as so far as to say my Land Rover Discovery (1st and 2nd row that is).

4. Yes carseats will fit, yes your teenage kids will fit, yes your 6'2" friend will fit, even when a tall guy named RJ is driving (if you're lucky it'll be RJ).

5. Ocean Coast interior looks incredible. I will be changing my preorder interior. The wood accents are far less yellow then anything you've seen in pictures and more a white washed yellow wood color.

6. Both green and black interiors look good too, black however is just less interesting then I thought before after seeing it in person paired against the green and grey. This however is just personal choice.

7. CAMP KITCHEN INCLUDES THE SKID LOAD GEAR TUNNEL TRAY!! Meanaing the camp kitchen isn't 5k, its actually $3200 if you factor in the tray. That really surprised me, and makes it more interesting. Honestly knowing that the tray comes with it I think everything else is almost a bargain.

8. Yeah, it's fast (really fast even with ATT), but more so the suspension is incredible! The speed pales in comparison to how capable and dynamic the suspension is. Its just amazing, way better then my F-150 platinum, or any truck I've ever been in for that matter.

9. Front trunk is super accessible, and when the vehicle is in your everyday height for the the suspension there really isn't much of an issue getting items in and out of it. For somebody who is 6' such as myself that is, but I do however believe if you're 5'7" or below it could be somwhat high.

10. Under seat storage is good, and with the rear seat under storage, I feel you have a good deal of space to put whatever you need away.

11. Gear tunnel steps are awesome and give great roof access. Totally love them! However kind of tricky to get out of the rear seats with the gear tunnel steps down.

12. All the door bins and driver and passenger seat rear bins are expandable and super accommodating to whatever you would need to put in them. I like them more than any other car that I've had.

13. Driving cluster screen was very easy to read even in bright sunlight at least in my ride along, I had some skepticism, but didn't have any issues and was able to see everything just fine.

14. The front trunk has magnets that allow for the folding of the tray giving you access to the lower level. I thought this was very clever and it really nice way to keep everything together without having to clip or button on something to hold the tray to the wall.of the drunk.

15. The full-size spare in the rear of the bed actually has powered struts to lift a lid which is super nice. Was surprised to see this and really liked it.

2. The fit and finish is not on par with what's in my Range Rover, I didn't really expect it to be, but I would honestly liken it to the interior fit and finish to that of an Infiniti product. 100% it is better than my Ford F-150 platinum, and the nicest truck interior I have come across. As for the SUV now that's where I feel other people will be less impressed (just better interiors out their for SUV's).

3. Surprisingly the Meridian sound system was not as good as the Meridian Sound system in my Range Rover. Maybe the speakers we're a little bit off, and not equalized properly, after all everybody had probably been cranking the volume all day long so who knows. But then again for its number speakers and it's wattage, I left the event and got right into my car and the sound system definitely was better in my Range Rover. Also the subwoofer which is under the rear passenger side seat had a somewhat cheap feeling plastic aerated cover on it that didn't seem like it would do very well with repeated long term vibrations.

4. I was told you cannot drive the vehicle and access the bed camera, that is something that could only be done with the gear guard mode while stationary. Small issue but would really like to be able to have a visualizer of what's in the bed. Especially while driving. Simple fix though.

5. Gear tunnel footsteps are only rated for 250lbs, which I have a big problem with. If you're 200lbs and are trying to lift something heavy onto the roof of your R1T, you will easily exceed the 250lb rating potentially damaging the steps. Not to mention if you're 200 plus pounds and you have a 40lb bag, or heavy camping pack, you could easily exceed that weight rating while sitting. I really feel the side gear tunnel steps should be rated for 350lbs.

6. UI is good, but not Tesla good. I liked the mega screen of my previous Tesla more. Definitely more responsive, but I would say it's better than the Mustang Mach E which I've actually been in and had a chance to poke around a bit.

Overall I can't say it enough how much I like the vehicle, I'm still incredibly impressed! It's awesome! As a whole, and in its entirety the R1T truly is an amazing vehicle the likes of which I've never seen before. It definitely impressed me even more than my Model S when I first got my hands on it. I'm definitely going to go with the LA Silver and the Ocean Coast interior with the 22" wheels. And I will be changing my pre-order configuration now that I've seen it in person. I would encourage everyone else to try to do the same if you have the chance.

Here's the ocean coast, and the black, just a little shot for remote comparison. I know these pictures aren't the best, but I feel the accurately represent the interior colors.

1001211535a_HDR.jpg

1001211558_HDR.jpg
Thanks for the great write up!

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
R1T Impressions...

The GOOD!

1001211535a_HDR.jpg

1001211558_HDR.jpg
What was your original config? How's you like the green interior and LG?

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just curious, you mentioned car seats, but will 2 adults fit in the back if there is a car seat in the middle seat?

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What was your original config? How's you like the green interior and LG?
I had two R1T configurations

1. El Cap, Max Pack, black interior, all the extra options fully loaded (minus camp kitchen). Blacked out 22"s

2. LA Silver, Max pack, black interior, gear tunnel skid load only, 22" wheels (not blacked out).

Now I'll be getting the LA silver, with Ocean Coast interior fully loaded with 22"s (not blacked out).

The green looks great! Not over the top at all, and the brown wood looks really good. Basically I feel the all black doesn't do the interior justice because it is on the more spartan-esque side.

But if you've seen a Tesla and like the all black, then I'm sure the all black will be your favorite. I originally had the two the grey in my Model S and ocean coast brings me back to that kinda look.

Just curious, you mentioned car seats, but will 2 adults fit in the back if there is a car seat in the middle seat?
I'm going back in 2hrs for my wife to test drive and will bring measuring tape.

But we had two guys both over 240lbs in the back seat and you could squeeze a car seat between them.

100% a car seat and two teenagers/kids.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

good information.. thanks..

jeepn30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Tesla Model S, 2010 Chrysler Town & Country
I was glad to get to see how everything looked there as well. The yellow did seem muted from what I see on their website. The Rivian Blue seemed a bit darker in person. I was surprised how good the LA Silver looked. I was disappointed that the Red wasn't there, as the swatch I saw in the materials section reminded me of the Salsa Red on the Jeep Liberty (around 2003?). Now I really want to see the red, as it was a color I really hadn't considered until now. I really liked the ocean interior, as it didn't look white like it did on the website. Green was way better than I thought it would be. Black is what I expected.

We had the 3 to 5 time slot, and didn't get a ride as we were on standby. We had walked directly over to the line right after registration. This wasn't a huge deal to us, as we are interested in the R1S. I don't know if there was a backlog from the previous sessions. I felt they could have done that better. I hope they ask for feedback from the event, as I hope they do something similar for the R1S.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 20211001_152009

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My wife got to drive the R1T today. She liked it, but the regenerative breaking really threw her off. As for the interiors she liked the black interior the most, followed by the green. Ocean Coast is out for her.

I still am torn, but she's talking me back into my original choice. I still really like the LA Silver.

Her driving guide was 5'11" and again I had plenty of room in the second d row.

Again, as a truck the R1T drives incredible, it seriously just destroys the clumsiness of other trucks, but as for the R1S, there's such so great handling SUV's in that market space.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 1002211123_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 1002211134c

Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM 1633204960646

Sponsored

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
My wife got to drive the R1T today. She liked it, but the regenerative breaking really threw her off. As for the interiors she liked the black interior the most, followed by the green. Ocean Coast is out for her.

I still am torn, but she's talking me back into my original choice. I still really like the LA Silver.

Again, as a truck the R1T drives incredible, it seriously just destroys the clumsiness of other trucks, but as for the R1S, there's such so great handling SUV's in that market space.

1002211123_HDR.jpg

1002211134c.jpg

1633204960646.jpg
How did you and your wife like the white exterior? My wife is leaning white, Iā€™m leaning silver. With all the extras weā€™re adding..Iā€™m not willing to pony a lot more for the other colors (paid $800 for our ā€˜Benz color in 2017, was semi-reasonable I guess..but still basically my limit now.).
And THANKS for the info, pics on backseat leg room - fantastic. Some relevance for us as we test drove the RRSport and Audi Q7 in 2017..before my wife chose the GLE43.
Thanks again for your contributions.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T REAR SEAT LEG ROOM C16CE038-65B9-476A-9BA6-1E5C2055B9F9

OP
OP
ja_kub_sz

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How did you and your wife like the white exterior? My wife is leaning white, Iā€™m leaning silver. With all the extras weā€™re adding..Iā€™m not willing to pony a lot more for the other colors (paid $800 for our ā€˜Benz color in 2017, was semi-reasonable I guess..but still basically my limit now.).
And THANKS for the info, pics on backseat leg room - fantastic. Some relevance for us as we test drove the RRSport and Audi Q7 in 2017..before my wife chose the GLE43.
Thanks again for your contributions.
C16CE038-65B9-476A-9BA6-1E5C2055B9F9.jpeg
Honestly the white is one of our top three colors (with ocean coast or black interior).

LA Silver looks excellent too! Another stock no charge color.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

1002211123_HDR.jpg

1002211134c.jpg

1633204960646.jpg
Thought your umbrella was a rifle at first glance. Lol. Thanks for all the info!
Sponsored