First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't recall the EPA test documentation being posted. IIRC it wasn't available when the EPA range was posted.
https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=53765&flag=1

Interesting points confirming things that haven't been confirmed formally.
1. No heat pump.​
2. Peak DC charging of 210 kW. Which is interesting, it's different than what they've communicated to MotorTrend (300 kw), and Brian told Elektrek 230 to 250 kw range in Colorado. Would not be surprised if a short seller tries to release a report about Rivian misleading the public honestly.​
3. voltage limits are between 216 and 459V.​
4. As previously noted, tested in sport and conserve mode. Conserve mode seems to be about 5 to 10% more efficient (also previously discussed).​

Other random tidbits in there if you feel like some late night reading.
Sponsored

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
Re the peak charging - could it be the actual peak at the time of the EPA test vs what they might be able to expand achieve later? As in they had to use the "now" figures vs whatever they think might be possible "soon"?

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Re the peak charging - could it be the actual peak at the time of the EPA test vs what they might be able to expand achieve later? As in they had to use the "now" figures vs whatever they think might be possible "soon"?
I'm not sure, but I doubt it personally. I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding the max pack back to have a higher Max charging rate.

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
210kw is fine with me as long as it stays high most of the charging session. My Tesla model 3, even if it has the capacity to charge for 2-3 min at 245kw, settles down a 145kw ish until 60%...

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I’m curious on whether heat pumps are actually worth it or not? The Mustang Mach-E doesn’t have one either and it seems to get really good range. Maybe their battery management system is so good that it’s not necessary for the winter. As for the charging range, they could easily update it over time I would think, I don’t know if 300 kW is realistic, but I think 250-270 kW.

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
I don't recall the EPA test documentation being posted. IIRC it wasn't available when the EPA range was posted.

1. No heat pump.​
2. Peak DC charging of 210 kW. Which is interesting, it's different than what they've communicated to MotorTrend (300 kw), and Brian told Elektrek 230 to 250 kw range in Colorado. Would not be surprised if a short seller tries to release a report about Rivian misleading the public honestly.​
4. As previously noted, tested in sport and conserve mode. Conserve mode seems to be about 5 to 10% more efficient (also previously discussed).​

Also confirms you can precondition the cabin via the app. I don’t know if I’ve seen that confirmed although most probably assumed you would be able to do so. ??

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Really curious about the lack of heat pump as well. Tesla went all-in on the heat pump for efficiency. Aside from the obvious “cost savings” excuse why would they forgo a heat pump?

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Really curious about the lack of heat pump as well. Tesla went all-in on the heat pump for efficiency. Aside from the obvious “cost savings” excuse why would they forgo a heat pump?
VW wasn't convinced they're the best route in the ID.4 in the U.S. either. And they had complaints about performance in Europe with their pump IIRC. Maybe Rivian made the same decision for now.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

1. No heat pump.​

Great find and basically everything we knew but now official at least via EPA. Let's see if Rivian has some sort of software trickery for their batteries going forward.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Heat Pumps sound good on paper, but if it gets cold or hot, they stop working well.

In my experience as it gets warmer around here they tend to work less, and in the winter they feel like they're blowing cold air vs something hot like with a regular design.

May be different in cars, but after owning several for 18 years on our home, i'm not convinced they're great in our climate.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

08.06.00 Description of climate control system
  • Rivian’s climate control is a Dual Zone system with Automatic Temperature control.
  • HVAC predominantly includes Defrost mode, Panel mode, and Floor mode (or any combination of these three).
  • The vehicle could be remotely conditioned to a comfortable climate setpoint using a Mobile Application.
  • The system consists of four electronically controlled face vent to direct airflow around passengers.
  • The recirculation door is independently controlled by the passengers.
  • Auto humidity control.
  • Auto/manual blower fan control.
  • The system is equipped with Air Conditioning and PTC heater to provide adequate heating and cooling for individual zones.
I think this is the section for climate control. Not sure what a PTC heater is. Can anyone explain?

Also, this may be new to me, but I've never heard of "Auto humidity control" inside a vehicle. That would be awesome in the South!

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think this is the section for climate control. Not sure what a PTC heater is. Can anyone explain?

Also, this may be new to me, but I've never heard of "Auto humidity control" inside a vehicle. That would be awesome in the South!
There was a later bullet definin PTC. I don't recall what it was off the top of my head though.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Don't know a damn thing about Heat Pumps. Wonder if part of the rationale is simply about reliability.... just another thing that isn't there to go wrong :)

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain

heaters are self-regulating heaters that run open-loop without any external diagnostic controls. ... PTC heaters utilize Positive Temperature Coefficient materials i.e. materials that exhibit a positive resistance change in response to the increase in temperature.
Sponsored