First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicles
'12 Charger
It's the cooling fans kicking into high gear to get the batteries to optimal temperature for fast charging.
Thanks. I've had my truck for 2 days and that was the first time I felt the vibrations and wasn't sure if that was normal.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicles
R1T
This message came up today while I was a full hour away from my DC fast charger destination. That seems excessive.
On my recent road trip from MI to CO, it would usually start to precondition about an hour before hitting every charger. Considering we were running in temps in the mid-90’s, this makes sense as it probably take a fair amount of time to cool down the batteries. Not only is the cooling having to deal with ambient temps, you’re also generating heat as you’re using the batteries.

I have no way of knowing whether it is excessive, just right, or the software engineers need to tweak the algorithm. At this point, I let the truck do what it wants to unless it seems significantly detrimental..

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
On my recent road trip from MI to CO, it would usually start to precondition about an hour before hitting every charger. Considering we were running in temps in the mid-90’s, this makes sense as it probably take a fair amount of time to cool down the batteries. Not only is the cooling having to deal with ambient temps, you’re also generating heat as you’re using the batteries.

I have no way of knowing whether it is excessive, just right, or the software engineers need to tweak the algorithm. At this point, I let the truck do what it wants to unless it seems significantly detrimental..
If you're bored sometime I'm curious how it performs with verse without conditioning

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicles
R1T
If you're bored sometime I'm curious how it performs with verse without conditioning
Way too many variables to try and isolate how preconditioning would impact charging. Battery temp, state of charger, outside temp, charger conditions, etc. would all come into play. This is one of those where I just trust the vehicle and the software/battery engineers.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Is there a way to force preconditioning for places, like Canada, where Rivian doesn’t recognize where the fast chargers are?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicles
2008 mazdaspeed3; 2009 mazda3
Occupation
IT
Is there a way to force preconditioning for places, like Canada, where Rivian doesn’t recognize where the fast chargers are?
I have always just used the on-board nav and set the DCFC as a destination, I don't think we have any awareness for an alternative method to precondition.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have always just used the on-board nav and set the DCFC as a destination, I don't think we have any awareness for an alternative method to precondition.
Me too… the challenge is Rivian nav doesn’t recognize many of the fast chargers in Canada. Is it possible to manually map out a DCFC the map doesn’t know about?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX 5, Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
No way currently to manually set it, but you can just set the navigation to the nearest DCFC and then ignore the directions.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Model Y
The Rivian 1,750 pound battery pack is a 135 KWh monster.

It does an excellent job with keeping the center of gravity nice and low. A flipped R1T would be a rare event.

329F5672-9B58-4888-8B37-64490DA83281.jpeg