Sponsored

R1T Preorder Poll...do you need a truck?

Do you need the functionality of a truck?

• Total voters

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Am I in the minority here in that I actually need to have a truck bed? On occasion I need to be able to haul sheet goods (plywood/drywall) and 8+ lumber. Fairly often it is mulch, soil amendments, pine straw, etc. A few times a year it is high bulk items. However, I've seen a number of posts by R1T preorder holders talking about everything from a MachE to a Taycan as their 'fallback' option if issues surface with R1T availability, functionality or reliability. So it got me to thinking, how many people getting the R1T need the functionality of a truck?
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I don’t NEED a truck, but having one would be a nice change. I’ve had to borrow a friend’s truck several times over the past year.

I also frequently have things like plants, mowers, snow blowers, mulch, etc. in my vehicle and it will be nice to not have to worry about protecting the interior of a nice SUV for things like that.

OP
OP

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I don’t NEED a truck, but having one would be a nice change. I’ve had to borrow a friend’s truck several times over the past year.

I also frequently have things like plants, mowers, snow blowers, mulch, etc. in my vehicle and it will be nice to not have to worry about protecting the interior of a nice SUV for things like that.
You'll wonder what you ever did without one...only downside is that now YOU will be the one people will be asking when they need to haul something

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
The 1st vehicle I purchased new was a Jeep Comanche pickup. It was inexpensive, remarkably reliable for the time, and served its purpose as basic transportation. While I did use it to haul plywood on occasion, it was mostly a commuter vehicle. It was eventually replaced with a Ford Ranger.

The R1T usage would be similar, but with the addition of toting around mountain bikes a few times a week. It's all about having a vehicle that can adapt to multiple needs.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
You'll wonder what you ever did without one...only downside is that now YOU will be the one people will be asking when they need to haul something
This bed is considerably small so not much use for friends calling for moving or help. On a brighter note, the towing is respectable and can easily tow a decent trailer. Also Home Depot, $29 for the day to rent their vehicles. Easy day

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
People laugh at my "truck" now - a Subaru Baja Turbo. I use it for larger items occausionally, but the thing I haul the most are my motorcycles. I made a stirrup that holds the rear wheel that anchors in the trailer hitch since the bed is 42". With the tail gate of the R1T down at 84" this will be a breeze to haul the bike.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
And as a side note, I will be able to charge my Alta as I drive from the bed outlets. Win - Win.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
This bed is considerably small so not much use for friends calling for moving or help. On a brighter note, the towing is respectable and can easily tow a decent trailer. Also Home Depot, $29 for the day to rent their vehicles. Easy day
We had the slow version of the Baja and always wanted the turbo version. While on the small side, the cargo passthrough was a great feature that we used often enough. They also had a slick fork mount bike rack that attach near the front of the bed. that and the bed extender were great add-ons.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Downsizing from my F-350 diesel as I no longer need to haul larger/heavier trailers. But I still need a truck. I have an F-150 Lightning and R1T reserved. Will have to submit configuration/order for the Lightning on the 26th or shortly after. I definitely want the R1T and if mine arrives before the Lightning, then I’ll probably let the lightning go to someone else. Otherwise I’ll take delivery of the Ford first then the R1T second and figure things out from there. Seriously considering my Lightning configuration as a very base XLT trim with the extended battery and then I could keep it as a company truck…. First world problems for sure.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I had a Nissan King Kab up until the time it got totaled while my son was borrowing it. Boom, no more truck. To be honest, I didn't use it a lot to haul stuff. But when I needed it, I was happy to have it. Now I have to borrow a truck when I can't fit stuff into our current vehicles. I hate having to borrow a truck.

So, I do "need" a truck, and only an electric truck will suffice.
Sponsored