Sponsored

R1T places last in recent Autolist EV truck survey.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Nothing more than a name-recognition poll. Of course Ford/Tesla and even GM come out as more well known.

Don’t read anything into it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
With Rivian being a startup, there is probably little expectation of them being anything more than another flash in the pan. We see the potential but the masses will need to see successful execution before considering Rivian a viable option.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Autolist released the results of a recent survey that they conducted concerning interest in EV trucks and the R1T unfortunately finished last.

I think this likely just reflects current lack of widespread knowledge about the brand and hope views will change once more Rivian vehicles hit the roads..

Interestingly, although the R1T scored lowest overall it scored highest on individual aspects including performance, range on a single charge, styling, features, and practicality. Not sure what to make of that.

https://www.autolist.com/news-and-analysis/2021-survey-electric-trucks
Production is going to impact this poll, all three — date, quality, and quantity. Early production (beating Ford, GM, and Tesla), few warranty repairs, and large numbers will help Rivian break into the market in a big way. However, it will take the less expensive post-R1’s to make Rivian a winner. Rivian better build that new Texas factory in a hurry, increase range, announce the new vehicles in 2022, and put them into production before 2024. This is a race that Rivian can lose. Everyone knows there is a small market worldwide, relatively speaking, for expensive adventure vehicles, and once Toyota joins the EV game that competion will be fierce. P.S. R1 innovations are worth the battle. Go Rivian: Don’t just be the best adventure vehicle, sell the most.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
All I take from this is that Rivian really needs to get with the marketing game. The "quiet giant" kind of tact they've taken so far was good when in stealth mode and even for a little while after LA Auto Show. But now they need to be making a splash. Crazy Uncle Elon is certainly crazy but as they say in show-biz, "any publicity is good publicity." He certainly does a good job of keeping the Tesla/SpaceX/NeuraLink/etc brand in the public sphere. I don't want RJ to go on Joe Rogan and do the whole weed smoking red pill thing but I'd certainly like the brand to be out in the world more.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
This is a nonsense poll. Chevy only has the Hummers as press vehicles. Cybertruck concept car got tons of press when they announced it and the Hummer was in a super bowl ad. It's all meaningless.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
This is a nonsense poll. Chevy only has the Hummers as press vehicles. Cybertruck concept car got tons of press when they announced it and the Hummer was in a super bowl ad. It's all meaningless.
I don’t think it is meaningless. As someone who works in marketing (albeit technical marketing for a major semiconductor company), this re-affirms what we on these boards already know about the brand awareness Rivian has (or doesn’t have as the case may be).

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Well if Rivian had 55k preorders or 200k, the same number of R1Ts are going to be on the road next year. They need factories buzzing more than PR buzz... They also just had I think the sixth largest IPO in history so that’s not exactly keeping things on the down low.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I doubt market awareness had much impact on the survey. Rivian had high score in 2019. If someone was aware of it two years ago, they would be aware of it now. Besides that if someone handed me the survey about these vehicles and I had never heard of Rivian, I would google it before responding.

Cost can be a major factor. CT, Ford and most likely Silverado will have lower cost options and for many paying $70K-$90K for something that is going to be worthless in a few years is not the wisest course of action. I know a lot of people in CT forum that love Rivian but they say it is too expensive. Even though it is still questionable if they can get CT at advertised price, they believe it is possible. I still have my reservation for lightning Pro. Although I know I won’t be as happy with it, $30K of difference could buy a lot of happiness in other areas of my life.

Risk is another factor. Even though IPO reduces that risk, Rivian is less established than all other options mentioned here and if you are worried about parts or charging networks there is another company that is ahead.

I think most of these are short term problems. IPO allows Rivian to stick around long enough to address those concerns.

p.s. The survey may have to include other adventure EVs next time:

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I don’t think it is meaningless. As someone who works in marketing (albeit technical marketing for a major semiconductor company), this re-affirms what we on these boards already know about the brand awareness Rivian has (or doesn’t have as the case may be).
rivian has exactly the amount of brand awareness it should have for a startup company that hasn’t delivered a product to non-employees yet.

The reason it’s meaningless is because it’s a comparisons with 3 large existing US auto manufacturers who also haven’t delivered any trucks to customers. But Ford and Chevy are spending money millions on SuperBowl ads and for their EVs and continuing to air them during NFL games. Tesla has nonstop social media marketing.

Rivian has orders. The best marketing strategy they can have is to get trucks in the hands of customers. Until then, why spend money on advertisements for a product who’s preorders they already can’t deliver?

Besides, the IPO news did more for Brand Awareness than anything they have done with the product.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Definitely a marketing shortcoming on Rivian’s part. Ford has done a lot to keep the Lightning on peoples minds. Rivian hasn’t done a fraction of that. Also, the R1T is a niche vehicle. It’s never going to sell as well as the F150. The market for an ”adventure vehicle“ just isn’t as large. As a truck, the R1T is always going to be limited by that tiny bed.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

It may be a marketing shortcoming by Rivian, but it may not be that bad right now. It doesn't matter if everyone knows about them, they aren't in a position yet to deliver meaningful numbers. Rivian also has the Amazon contract, so they do have at least one customer, yet tens of thousands of sales for the next few years (if they can deliver the van) so a product they can sell while they get the R1T/R1S process up to speed. It's going to take them time to ramp up to meet current reservations. Customers are already disappointed by the communication process and length of time its taking. Reading forums it sounds like some people placing orders today are expecting to be fulfilled in 2022. If no one knows about Rivian and they are in a place to readily deliver with little to no waiting, that would be a much bigger issue.

And then look at Ford and Tesla. If the Lighning/Cybertruck have that many pre-orders, how long is it going to meet those preorders? They might be setting themselves up to massively disappoint and alienate a huge customer base for the future. If the Cybertruck has a million preorders, even if 10% originally placed that orders with the intent to go through with the purchase, there's going to possibly be 900,000 customers that are disappointed or angry with time lines (or relieved they don't have to purchase it).

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It may be a marketing shortcoming by Rivian, but it may not be that bad right now. It doesn't matter if everyone knows about them, they aren't in a position yet to deliver meaningful numbers. Rivian also has the Amazon contract, so they do have at least one customer, yet tens of thousands of sales for the next few years (if they can deliver the van) so a product they can sell while they get the R1T/R1S process up to speed. It's going to take them time to ramp up to meet current reservations. Customers are already disappointed by the communication process and length of time its taking. Reading forums it sounds like some people placing orders today are expecting to be fulfilled in 2022. If no one knows about Rivian and they are in a place to readily deliver with little to no waiting, that would be a much bigger issue.

And then look at Ford and Tesla. If the Lighning/Cybertruck have that many pre-orders, how long is it going to meet those preorders? They might be setting themselves up to massively disappoint and alienate a huge customer base for the future. If the Cybertruck has a million preorders, even if 10% originally placed that orders with the intent to go through with the purchase, there's going to possibly be 900,000 customers that are disappointed or angry with time lines (or relieved they don't have to purchase it).
I am optimistic about EV trucks and adventure vehicles — after this morning once again driving X performance for an hour+ down the front of the Teton Range, my front or backyard! Whichever! Stunning experience no ICE can approach, driving north and south, to and from Jackson, looking through this windshield with no visible upper border, noticing the smooth silent ride, bracing for the swoosh acceleration and braking. This is it! Add to “it” the toughness of Rivian and nothing now on the road for me is competetive not even remotely. No going back, and yes, all the coming trucks and R1’s ought to be worth waiting for, and if not, they should not be released or purchased.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I’ve heard of Rivian. Never heard of Autolist. Do they even have credibility?
Sponsored