Sponsored

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

+1 on Gaia GPS. It has been my go-to backpacking app for years. I plug the route into my iPhone and download the offline maps, put it on Airplane mode and it does great in the backcountry. I find it a much better and more reliable solution than any of the Garmin stuff I used to use.
off topic but just learning Gaia GPS myself: will it do turn by turn guidance or is it follow the line with the arrow on the screen only?
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
off topic but just learning Gaia GPS myself: will it do turn by turn guidance or is it follow the line with the arrow on the screen only?
I confess I do not know. I use it for backcountry backpacking so not a lot of need for "turn-by-turn" navigation as I am not going very fast (lol). What I can say is that the maps are excellent and lots of optional layers (topo, open hiking, USGS, Nat Geo, etc.) that can be downloaded so they are available offline. And unlike my (perhaps outdated?) experience with Garmin, many of the maps are free and most all are very reasonable. I find that the iPhone is the perfect device for this (probably other smartphones as well) because the GPS is very solid, the screen is excellent, it is waterproof, and the battery lasts a long time on airplane mode (I do bring an extra battery and a little solar module for long trips).

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
This is my favorite story on the site. I've heard about the area before but you put up great pics. I love exploring those vast empty area, the desert southwest is another place I'd like to visit again.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This is my favorite story on the site. I've heard about the area before but you put up great pics. I love exploring those vast empty area, the desert southwest is another place I'd like to visit again.
Thank you. It was loads of fun, especially the last day and the 93 mile overland route, so much varying terrain and road types. The satisfaction of seeing the highway on the other side after successfully navigating the terrain had me grinning ear to ear… at least until I realized I didn’t have enough juice to make it to Bend.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I just spent several days in that area in my ICE truck. Gassed up in Christmas Valley and Denio and was getting >300 mile range with hundreds of miles off pavement and in 4x4, mostly 4 high. But … gas was over $7 in Denio and over $8 in Fields Station (didn’t get fuel there, just a milkshake). A beautiful area and we lucked out missing all the rain but still having a few muddy spots. Certainly ICE is easier given the charging situation but it’s not impossible with EV, and by the time I get my R1T things will only be better. Thanks for the details and pics.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Placing a Rivian Adventure Network station in Burns would be great. That would open up the door to playing off the beaten path around there, as well allowing safer crossings of the State.
Absolutely. I've had to count on Burns on Tesla trips in the past (with a Chademo adapter) and it's a ginormous bummer in more ways than one. Hoping for a proper DCFC there to dramatically improve a lovely little Seattle -> Sun Valley -> Mt Bachelor -> Seattle ski loop. I've done it with the current infrastructure... I'd prefer better 🙂
Sponsored