Sponsored

R1T offroad footage and info from from South America!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vimeo link just for the video:

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few still captures from the small jump @ 13-14 seconds. Illustrates the suspension...
Rivian R1T R1S R1T offroad footage and info from from South America! Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 3.02.01 PM
Rivian R1T R1S R1T offroad footage and info from from South America! Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 3.02.52 PM
Rivian R1T R1S R1T offroad footage and info from from South America! Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 3.03.21 PM
Rivian R1T R1S R1T offroad footage and info from from South America! Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 3.03.54 PM

snomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XV Crosstrek
Am I misunderstanding the stats on the page? It says the longest distance between charges was 314 miles and the longest uninterrupted stretch was 11+ hours. Surely you'd be traveling further than 314 miles if you're spending 11 uninterrupted hours driving off-road.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T offroad footage and info from from South America! Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 3.03.54 PM

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Am I misunderstanding the stats on the page? It says the longest distance between charges was 314 miles and the longest uninterrupted stretch was 11+ hours. Surely you'd be traveling further than 314 miles if you're spending 11 uninterrupted hours driving off-road.

I think you've got it right. In many offroad situations, you'd be lucky to average 20 mph, and that would only be 220 miles in 11 hours.

Sponsored

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3, Cybertruck, R2 Reservation.
I have lots of experience through out north African Sahara, Canadian and Alaskan Arctic regions and USA/Mexico desert Southwest. I am completely not impressed by the Rivian video. Proper off road use is slow and safely. The Rivian suspension is demonstrating limited articulation of the the suspension which is exactly what I was worried about with air suspension and CV joint axles shafts. Driving fast and hitting the dirt hard over hills and bumps can be done in any rental car with enough speed. What I like to see is slow over difficult terrain with good articulation. I think what is happening here is the engineers really do not have extensive off road experience. I don't blame them as the company is not located in an area of difficult terrain.

See this video below at minutes 1:20 and 1:45. This is a rock stock Ram2500 with solid axles. Slow and safe. It's the only way to be able to travel thousand of miles over the sahara or arctic without break downs. Burn-outs and blasting through sand hills like a high school student with the parents car, breaks the vehicle soon enough.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
I have lots of experience through out north African Sahara, Canadian and Alaskan Arctic regions and USA/Mexico desert Southwest. I am completely not impressed by the Rivian video. Proper off road use is slow and safely. The Rivian suspension is demonstrating limited articulation of the the suspension which is exactly what I was worried about with air suspension and CV joint axles shafts. Driving fast and hitting the dirt hard over hills and bumps can be done in any rental car with enough speed. What I like to see is slow over difficult terrain with good articulation. I think what is happening here is the engineers really do not have extensive off road experience. I don't blame them as the company is not located in an area of difficult terrain.

See this video below at minutes 1:20 and 1:45. This is a rock stock Ram2500 with solid axles. Slow and safe. It's the only way to be able to travel thousand of miles over the sahara or arctic without break downs. Burn-outs and blasting through sand hills like a high school student with the parents car, breaks the vehicle soon enough.
To be fair to them though, part of what they want to test is the limits of the vehicle, and that includes potentially breaking it. I have no off-road experience, but understand what you’re saying. This isn’t your standard off-road jaunt though and is about testing the vehicle, not about getting safety from A to B.

I’d be interested in the statistics of shortest distance until they had to charge. The 300-odd miles longest distance though is decent.

EDIT: oh yes; I agree ... this is TOTALLY awesome! Hey RJ ... when do we get UK pre-orders? ;-)

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree with @Gene about proper offroading being slow & safe, and also with @EVian that they are performing abuse-type testing & pushing the limits, which I think is a good thing.

I would LOVE to see a video of a Rivian on more technical terrain where articulation and traction are demonstrated.

Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
This is interesting from the Rivian FB post:
Q: How are they charging the vehicles in these remote areas?
A: We worked with a variety of partners to install a grid where there are, generally speaking, two 40A level 2 chargers every roughly 100 miles. While we don’t need to charge every 100 miles, we wanted to leave charging infrastructure behind us.

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)

Fair points to be sure. I was not impressed by the driver either, especially seeing her bomb over that bump. I have little experience compared to your stated exploits but even a small amount is all that's needed to understand that's not the way to travel on difficult trails. Having said that, flying through flat sand/dirt for fun and high speed washboard road travel is undertaken by off roaders with oodles of knowledge, experience and expertise. We'll wait with bated breath for the rock crawling video but it's not coming. This thing isn't a rock crawler. It will be interesting to see what kind of articulation and capabilities it has but safe to say I think it'll be able to handle what the Ram2500 did in your video. Those are relatively small obstacles from what I can make out. Upon further viewing you don't mention the IFS Tacoma earlier in your video just gunning it up over those obstacles with throttle as it's only weapon against low traction. I'm no expert but the R1T would handle that with ease, along with the rest of the obstacles in your video. Also, be careful riding on the exterior of a vehicle off road.

I echo @EVian sentiments...testing limits. And she probably regretted the way she took that bump right after she did it. But the fact that the truck didn't implode while being driven recklessly is good to see.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you read the related story, "Ana was focused on torque transfer and power control". As already pointed out, this was about testing the vehicle and apparently was as much or more about the software controlling the motors as it was about testing the suspension. Definitely not a pointless joyride by a clueless young engineer - although she did seem to be enjoying herself. Can't recall ever having that much fun at work myself....

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
They talk about the High torsional rigidity of the frame as if it’s a benefit offroad? Most ladder frame off-road focused vehicles use some chassis flex as a positive. The suspension is gonna have to be on point to make up for a super stiff chassis. 16 or 17 Inch wheels would be welcomed by the crew by now I bet. Looks good all in all.

Detroitable

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota Tacoma, 1963 International Scout
Fair points to be sure. I was not impressed by the driver either, especially seeing her bomb over that bump. I have little experience compared to your stated exploits but even a small amount is all that's needed to understand that's not the way to travel on difficult trails. Having said that, flying through flat sand/dirt for fun and high speed washboard road travel is undertaken by off roaders with oodles of knowledge, experience and expertise. We'll wait with bated breath for the rock crawling video but it's not coming. This thing isn't a rock crawler. It will be interesting to see what kind of articulation and capabilities it has but safe to say I think it'll be able to handle what the Ram2500 did in your video. Those are relatively small obstacles from what I can make out. Upon further viewing you don't mention the IFS Tacoma earlier in your video just gunning it up over those obstacles with throttle as it's only weapon against low traction. I'm no expert but the R1T would handle that with ease, along with the rest of the obstacles in your video. Also, be careful riding on the exterior of a vehicle off road.

I echo @EVian sentiments...testing limits. And she probably regretted the way she took that bump right after she did it. But the fact that the truck didn't implode while being driven recklessly is good to see.
I agree with the above. This is a thinly veiled advertisement designed to keep the interest level up while production ramps up.

They need to be as innovative with every aspect of the marketing of this vehicle as the vehicle itself. This isn't it. I'm not wowed by any of it. I worked on Jeep advertising as a creative when Jeep advertising was good. They need to invent new ways to talk to people that mirror the innovation level of the vehicle itself. This just looks like any other poorly thought out 4X4 ad.
Sponsored