Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Took my R1T on the Morgan City Wash trail near Lake Pleasant in the north metro Phoenix area today. Took the eastern portion of the Castle Hot Springs trail back towards Lake Pleasant back home to central Phoenix.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1845-morgan-city-wash

It's rated a moderate, but it's a pretty easy trail. Only tricky part is the very steep wash exit at Waypoint 9. The truck paused for a moment, but it just needed a heavier foot on the accelerator. It's also pretty narrow in parts going up the hill, but shockingly no pinstriping and the views are fantastic. The off camber up the hill was a little uncomfortable in a couple areas, but I've been in much worse.

Some pics are below. I'm going to review some DriveCam video and maybe put together a short video.

IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1942.jpeg
IMG_1943.jpeg
IMG_1945.jpeg
IMG_1946.jpeg
IMG_1951.jpeg
IMG_1959.jpeg
IMG_1967.jpeg
IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1979.jpeg
I like the donkey admiring the cool rock nearby.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Off Road Trail Report & Videos: Morgan City Wash (Metro Phoenix Area) 5/12/2023 shrek-donkey
Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Screenshot from the DriveCam video of the Walter White Lab. Door was open.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Off Road Trail Report & Videos: Morgan City Wash (Metro Phoenix Area) 5/12/2023 WalterWhite Rivian DriveCam

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Screenshot from the DriveCam video of the Walter White Lab. Door was open.

WalterWhite Rivian DriveCam.jpg
At least Tuco wasn’t hanging around.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I don't mean any offense by this, and I'm super happy you had fun, but that trail could be run by a Subaru. Come on man, show me some (mild) off-camber rock crawling and / or deep water fording!
None taken. It's definitely an easy trail. Was surprised Trails Off Road rated it as moderate. However, I will say that steep section is much steeper in person and it's pretty narrow going up the hill - especially in a big and wide truck. Was slightly worried a vehicle might be coming from the opposite direction. There are very few spots wide enough to pull off and allow passing.

The Back Road to Crown King Trail other locals have mentioned looks much more challenging in parts.

I've done the back road to CK a few times and have been wanting to do it in our R1S. We should get a few R1s together and go for it. Unless it has completely washed out, there shouldn't be any steps that are unpassable.

I love this idea. I actually thought about reaching out to some other local owners, doing the Morgan City and Castle Hot Springs trails one morning, then heading over to the Phoenix Service Center and cooking the crew up some lunch on our Camp Kitchens but...

In all seriousness, maybe we organize a Fall run on the Back Road To Crown King Trail. Let the nasty summer desert heat pass.

Love that you have experience on the trail. Sounds like we would need it.

It has been years since I have done it. I had a 1980 3/4 ton Suburban (it was a beater), and took it a few times. Busted a tire once. My buddy also busted at least one tire on his Jeep.

I bought my R1T used and it has the road tires and no beefed up battery shield, so I would not take it on that trail. Lack of rock sliders is another issue. When I get my Hummer, I will definitely take it.
This is great feedback as well. I did read parts of the trail are pretty narrow. No concerns about that in your Hummer?

Nice montage video. How did you get Stevie to sign off on that music? ;)
Thanks. Appreciate that. Took about an hour - thanks to iMovie making things so easy for someone like myself who lacks any sort of video editing talent and skill. I actually did have a thought about music licensing, but it's essentially a home video and I put it on Dropbox, not YouTube, Vimeo, or social media platforms. Absolutely no desire to monetize. Just wanted to share with the Rivian community.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I don't mean any offense by this, and I'm super happy you had fun, but that trail could be run by a Subaru. Come on man, show me some (mild) off-camber rock crawling and / or deep water fording!