Sponsored

R1T Newby Efficiency Question

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Audi Q7
My Trip data is saying that I’m getting efficiency of 1.68 mi/kWh for the trip but total miles were 612 and total energy was 225.3 kWh. If I divide those numbers, I’m getting 2.71 mi/kWh. What am I missing?

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Newby Efficiency Question 0B214D37-FE8F-4BE2-992E-311BB0F57F51
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's a bug, came in one of the recent updates. Efficiency number is right but energy used is not.

OP
OP
Mtbaddict

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. Is there a fix? Reading some of the other efficiency discussions on here (relating to tires), there are a lot of people getting 2.3+ efficiency. I'm running 21" road tires and I'm not a lead foot. Isn't 1.68 mi/kWh really low?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks. Is there a fix? Reading some of the other efficiency discussions on here (relating to tires), there are a lot of people getting 2.3+ efficiency. I'm running 21" road tires and I'm not a lead foot. Isn't 1.68 mi/kWh really low?
No fix that I am aware, I guess it will come VIA OTA. Regarding your efficiency that will depend a lot on context, a lot of time sitting running HVAC for instance could cause this. I am sure if you took a road trip with a consistent speed of ~60 mph you would get >2.3mi/kWh

OP
OP
Mtbaddict

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No fix that I am aware, I guess it will come VIA OTA. Regarding your efficiency that will depend a lot on context, a lot of time sitting running HVAC for instance could cause this. I am sure if you took a road trip with a consistent speed of ~60 mph you would get >2.3mi/kWh
Thanks. I'll try the road trip test.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
To add to what JJ said- short trips will be low efficiency. Add hills and it's worse. If I remember I start charging about 45-60 minutes prior to departure and that seems to help.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Thanks. I'll try the road trip test.
Having done 2,000 mi of roadtrips in the past month there are a few factors to keep in mind. Tire size and drive mode. It's unlikely get 2.3mi/kWh with 20" AT in All Purpose at highway speeds. More realistically you'll get 1.7-1.9. It depends on driving conditions, weather, etc. We achieved 2.1-2.2 with 20" AT in conserve at highway speeds, 50-degree temps, clear weather.

If you have the road tires you can achieve better efficiency.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The best way to verify is to externalization all the data. Run a loop that you know is, say, 50 miles. Then re-fill the batteries using a charger that will give you a readout of exactly how much juice you consumed. Do the math from there.

FYI I am consistently seeing 2.5mi/kWh on my R1T with 21’s, though that will suffer when it gets really cold, esp if I left the truck outside overnight and take short trips.

OP
OP
Mtbaddict

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Having done 2,000 mi of roadtrips in the past month there are a few factors to keep in mind. Tire size and drive mode. It's unlikely get 2.3mi/kWh with 20" AT in All Purpose at highway speeds. More realistically you'll get 1.7-1.9. It depends on driving conditions, weather, etc. We achieved 2.1-2.2 with 20" AT in conserve at highway speeds, 50-degree temps, clear weather.

If you have the road tires you can achieve better efficiency.
Thx. Yes, I have the road tires.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I get 1.8 with 21's but my average speed in LA local driving is like 23 mph and I haven't been great about warming up the battery before heading out.

Sponsored

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
I have 22s. At 15,000 miles total. My overall number is 2.2 kWh. But this includes the full mileage going back to last march. And efficiency has gotten better since then.

the one thing I will say is there is a very noticeable drop under 48 degrees. It drops me down to as low as 1.7 but seems to average about 1.9 kWh in the upper 30s to mid 40s.

if it’s over 55 degrees I get close to 2.5 kWh on long drives. This is using converse mode for the trips.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Freeway speeds over 70 really eat at efficiency too.
Very true. We noticed dropping to 65 is significantly more efficient than 70. The Rivian engineer who was just on the Motortrend EV podcast said the same thing.

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I noticed the bug shortly after the last update, was on the phone with Rivian for something else and mentioned it to them. The guy on the call did not say "oh we know about that" so I put in a ticket, sent pictures of the bad math and showing it was correct back in November. Hopefully fixed in the next update. Not a big issue, just multiply the total energy used number by 2 and you have the right answer.
Sponsored